Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2019, 07:51 AM   #1
BauerAP

Chucking solutions?

So I’m sure this has been hammered into the ground and I tried to do my due diligence and search but couldn’t find what I was looking for. I have a 2011 F-250 6.7 CCSB SRW with B&W goose neck with a Curt X-5 adapter and Reese pro series 16k slider pulling a Sprinter 32FWBHS. I’ve only towed it once so far for about 200 miles. I’m convinced the chucking is coming from the hitch itself. I made u-shaped wedges to mind the play between the curt and the hitch. One time on the last trailer I used a set of composite shins in the rollers with the wedges and it worked great. Almost 0 chucking. The only issue with those is it takes the slide option out of the equation. It’s not the brake controller as it does it when the brakes aren’t applied. Mainly bridges and dips in the road. I was curious if anyone has a similar setup or a relatively inexpensive solution. I would love to go with a mor ryde or the like but not looking to spend a grand at the moment. Any ideas?
BauerAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #2
GHen

Yes, this has been discussed just recently again.
Try moving the weight around on your RV. Check it at a scale, each axel separately. Try with water and with only a little.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think what GHen is saying is "make sure you have enough pin weight." A light pin will "bounce in the hitch" during towing. Adding weight to the trailer, forward of the axles, will increase the pin weight and help stop the bouncing.

As for "bumping" (my name for it) that occurs when starting and stopping. That's an "inherent problem" with slide bar hitches. The newer "clamp style" hitches have pretty much eliminated that problem. If you've got a slide bar hitch, you'll get a "bump" when you stop and a "bang" when you start, if you accelerate too rapidly.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #4
GHen

Thanks JRHT, I got a phone call in the middle of that response.

When you go to the scales have your normal travel load in your truck, DW and kids, full fuel , check each axle, TV front, TV rear, RV and total. Then compare to your specifications and make you’re not over loaded, but you don’t want it light.
I’m at 5820 on my truck rear axle and my max is 6200. I’m trying to get mine closer to 6000. I only have chucking on bad bumps or bridges. I think most everyone does. You just don’t want it happening all the time.

RV Water can make a big difference depending if is in front, middle or behind the axles.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #5
BauerAP

Haven’t had this trailer long enough to experiment much with it. I’m not concerned with the bumping. I guess my question is more in regards to taking the slack out of the hitch itself. When empty, hitch sitting in my truck, I can grab the head and see it move at the adapter and at the rollers. Probably 1/16-1/8” at each. I understand moving weight forward would change this some but I can’t move but so much unless making it miserable to unload the bed initially at a site. I would rather leave the fresh tank empty for weight purposes and majority of the time we have no need to use it but if some would even out the ride I would give it a shot.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
tech740

Does your X5 mount tight. I had one and had to shim the X5 to make it tight. In the end I got rid of it by going to an Andersen.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #7
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
Does your X5 mount tight. I had one and had to shim the X5 to make it tight. In the end I got rid of it by going to an Andersen.
That’s where one of my problems is. I used flat steel and ground it to a wedge and cut out the center to straddle the pin hole. What did you use to shim?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #8
gearhead

I had a Curt Q20 with a fair amount of bumping. I went to a 5th Airborne pinbox that helped on the up and down bumping. When I got the Bigfoot cabover I needed an easy to remove lightweight hitch and went to the PullRite Superlight, similar to Anderson. Problems solved.
I think these hitches have what we in the turbo machinery world called "clearance stack-up". You add up all the clearances and they quickly become overwhelming.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #9
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I had a Curt Q20 with a fair amount of bumping. I went to a 5th Airborne pinbox that helped on the up and down bumping. When I got the Bigfoot cabover I needed an easy to remove lightweight hitch and went to the PullRite Superlight, similar to Anderson. Problems solved.
I think these hitches have what we in the turbo machinery world called "clearance stack-up". You add up all the clearances and they quickly become overwhelming.
Exactly... I understand there will be a bounce in the ride. What I was hoping to find suggestions to eliminate or reduce these clearances. Someone else surely has had a similar experience.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:58 PM   #10
tech740

I used a couple pieces of 300psi rubber fire hose. That seemed to work well. Just too many moving parts for my liking.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 05-13-2019, 05:03 AM   #11
BauerAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I used a couple pieces of 300psi rubber fire hose. That seemed to work well. Just too many moving parts for my liking.
Hadn’t thought about that. My mind was on something solid. We just took some out of service after hose testing. I’ll grab a couple feet of LDH and give that a shot. It won’t rust either.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #12
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAP View Post
Hadn’t thought about that. My mind was on something solid. We just took some out of service after hose testing. I’ll grab a couple feet of LDH and give that a shot. It won’t rust either.

I had to use the pin weight of the camper to set the pin in the B&W. Then I just had the rocking of the slider.

Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK