Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
Hawki2u

Level Up Jacks

Has anyone physically raised the mounting of their jacks. We just picked up a 2019 Avalanche 300RE and I'm afraid I'm going to tear them off on uneven ground. We do take our trailers on uneven mountain roads, not just a pavement queen. Thanks for any suggestions.
Hawki2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:55 AM   #2
14george

Believe you can you can do a search on this sight for post on that topic. Welcome to the forum from WV
14george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If you do, make sure there is enough travel in the jacks to continue working.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you do, make sure there is enough travel in the jacks to continue working.
Or tote along appropriately sized riser blocks.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #5
Hawki2u

I did a quick search and didn't find what I was looking for. If you have a thread I should look for, please enlighten me. Thanks.
Hawki2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:50 AM   #6
5J's

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
Or tote along appropriately sized riser blocks.
If you do this just be aware of the extra instability you will gain in extra height of the blocks. The larger the contact surface area with the ground the more stable they'll be.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
If you do this just be aware of the extra instability you will gain in extra height of the blocks. The larger the contact surface area with the ground the more stable they'll be.
From my experience the shorter the legs are extended the "more" stable it feels. Agree with with larger footprint though!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
KimNTerry

It can be deceiving. It's all about approach and departure angles. I was concerned with the rear jacks (departure angle) on mine when I purchased it. I just thought "those look too low and they're going to get hung up".

Then our actually helpful Salesperson (who happens to be an avid RV'er and really knew his stuff) had a technician hold up a string line from the rear tire where it meets the ground to the rear bumper. Low and behold the jack was above the line. This means that if I did hit the rear jacks I'd probably hit the bumper as well and gave me an idea of what kind of terrain I could handle with the trailer.

The only way to effectively alter those angles is to "Lift" the trailer but that has its own consequences like jack travel and how the trailer rides as you are increasing the center of gravity.

For the front jacks (approach angle) on my trailer is greater than departure angle so I have not worried about it. The lesser of the two angles is what you can safely handle.

It is a fifth wheel trailer and care must be taken when taking the road less traveled. If going off road I recommend the following procedure if you don't know the area well or it may have changed since your last visit.

STOP where you can easily turn around or it's a short manageable back-up. Backing up long distances on dirt track road can be difficult.

Scout ahead on foot evaluating terrain and your ability to turn around. If you find a place you can turn around and the terrain is passable, then pull up to that spot and repeat.

Remember however far you go off road has to be driven on your way out.
I have gone about a half mile down dirt tracks and gotten to some really great remote spots. Just be careful and remember you have to get back out.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
mtofell

I ripped the rear jacks off my 5th several times before finally re-mounting them at a higher point and having some heavy duty rollers welded on the back of the trailer. I also had to have my spare tire bracket extended to get the bottom of the tire up above the bumper. It got dragged a few times also. Kind of ridiculous the way they set these thing up. One of the times my spare tire dragged was leaving a very shallow gas station driveway apron.

The rollers were $80 for the pair, having them welded on cost $120. Having the spare tire mount extended was a $50 bottle of tequila for a buddy's neighbor. No problems since. PM me your email address and I can send pictures.... once I can past the snow to my RV again.

I looked at lifting the whole 5th on a sub-frame but the cost is just ridiculous at +/- $2000. I made it through all of last year with no problems so I think my issues are pretty much solved.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:37 PM   #10
bubbubouy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawki2u View Post
Has anyone physically raised the mounting of their jacks. We just picked up a 2019 Avalanche 300RE and I'm afraid I'm going to tear them off on uneven ground. We do take our trailers on uneven mountain roads, not just a pavement queen. Thanks for any suggestions.
I have a 2018 5th wheel toy hauler with six level up jacks. I raised the four rearward jacks as soon as I got home with it after purchase. If I remember correctly the mounting holes are on two inch centers. I raised the jacks one set of holes. No problems, never looked back. Here is the installation manual.

https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ket_Manual.pdf
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 AM   #11
Roscommon48

simple answer is yes you can.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:11 AM   #12
rbrdriver

I raised mine on my 2019 Alpine 3700FL and just carry some 4 X 4 blocks with me to use for set up.
rbrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #13
boagey

I have a 2019 Alpine, I have the hydraulic jacks, they looked low so I had them move up one bolt hole.
boagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #14
larryflew

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNTerry View Post

Then our actually helpful Salesperson (who happens to be an avid RV'er and really knew his stuff)

Sorry I feel the need to point out the oxymoron in your reply
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
Hamlej

I had the same issue and felt uncomfortable with the rear most pads so close to the ground. Raised them one set of holes and couldn’t be happier.
Hamlej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 AM   #16
jimborokz

After I hit mine a couple times (fortunately on soft ground) I raised just the rear jacks a couple holes and bought a set of Anderson blocks to limit the extension. You just need to make sure you have adequate travel in the hydralic lines. You could also just use wood blocks. The less extension there is the more stable your trailer will be.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks