Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
Thunk

3800FK cabinets open to outside air

I've got a 2019 3800FK and have noticed an odd issue. The kitchen sink/counter runs across the very front. Under the counter there are 3 cabinets, I'll call them "left corner", "center under the sink" and "right corner."

Both the left and right corner cabinets have a piece of wood panel screwed into the outside corners. This panel effectively cuts off the front-outside corners of the cabinets, but do not go all the way to the top. There's a 2.5" gap left at the top. There's a This wasn't initially a concern since it doesn't reduce the cabinet space much. However, in cold weather, especially windy weather, cold air is blasting into the cabinet from the gap at the top of the panel. It seems that the front corner cabinets on both side are open to the outside air, and in windy conditions, a LOT of cold air comes blasting in.

I've got two pics here. The first is looking in from the cabinet door where you can see the chunk of panel and the gap along the top. The second is from the phone held in that gap looking down. You can clearly see a chunk of the floor cut out and a couple of wires running through.

I get that they needed to run wiring through there, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows:
  1. Why does the panel not go all the way to the top and fully seal the gap?
  2. Any reason I shouldn't just seal the gaps?

It's the same on both sides, but I don't know: was this just a shoddy way of reusing a chunk of wood panel and it happens to be just a bit too short, or was there some intentional ventilation going on here?

Any thoughts or suggestions on why the gaps weren't closed, or ramifications of closing said gaps, would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	20296   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	20297  
Thunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
5J's

I can't see your pictures. Did you upload them? My first reaction is seal it up but......

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:25 AM   #3
Thunk

Hm, I must have did it wrong on the first try. I edited, and looks like they uploaded this time.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
5J's

You say in the photo that the panel is screwed along the bottom. Personally I'd remove that panel and fill the void around the wire with expanding foam to seal it off then put the panel back up. It looks to me like it may be an entry point for critters as well.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Tbos

2x in removing the panel and sealing the leak. If you can find out where the air is coming from I’d try and seal that too.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Here is the framing for the front of a Cougar. While there is a bit of difference (bedroom nightstands vs kitchen cabinets) the overall structure is essentially the same. What you're facing is the open back of the front cap, aluminum framing and the sidewall/front wall corner with a "cutout" for the negative slope of the front cap. There's not a lot of airflow through the area, but some draft may be noticed from the pinbox opening flowing up through the fiberglass skin covering and into the back of the front cap. I'd suggest removing the angled sheet, use "NON-EXPANDING foam" to seal the area at the base of the opening and then reinstall the angled sheeting.

Here's what it looks like from outside looking in, before the front cap is installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0314.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	20298   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0322.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	20299   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0323.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	20300  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #7
ajk170

Thunk- I'll have to check the in-laws 3800FK to see if they have the same issue. I also like the lights you installed in that cabinet!
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Thunk

Thanks everyone, that's helpful confirmation. I greatly appreciate the help.

Thunk
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #9
Thunk

ajk170, we really didn't notice it, even in single-digit weather in the midwest. But when we got some high winds later in ALB, NM then we found it was blasting air like there was a fan turned on!

The light is just the stick-on, battery kind. We got a 3-pack at Lowes.

Thanks!