Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2018, 05:33 PM   #1
Tbos

Rusting Valve Stems?

It appears the base of my valve stems are rusting. I’m thinking I have a dissimilar metal corrosion issue going on. The wheels are aluminum and I believe the stems are steel. Does anyone have an idea on how to stop it. My old military training tells me to clean it up and seal it so there is no air or moisture to act as a dielectric. What would be best to seal it. Should I ask the dealer to ask Keystone to replace the stems with aluminum ones? I’m still under warranty. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2804.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	19729
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 PM   #2
Andymil

That’s definitely a dissimilar metals issue. It looks like the washer under the nut is steel. Any metals touching the wheel should be stainless steel or brass.

You may get away with replacing that washer with a stainless steel one, but you will have to clean the wheel where the washer touched it because the wheel is probably corroded under the washer.

If it’s still under warranty, the dealer should take care of it. In my opinion, this is a manufacturing defect. This wouldn’t have happened if the proper materials were used.
Andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

I replaced the truck (2 sets) and trailer wheels with steel valve stems. I thought they are SS from the local tire shop. TT has had them sitting outside in annual rainfall here 24 inches. No rust has showed up on any. 6 bucks a piece, go get some and forget about your current problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Yup, that’s galvanic corrosion. Problem is, where did the steel washer come from? Were those valve stems Original Equipment or added when the TPMS was added?

If those valve stems came as OE you should show the pictures to Keystone. Just maybe they were supposed to be stainless steel and Keystone can do a recall to replace them on all other units that got those wheel/tire assemblies with their new trailer. And, inform the OEM provider of the problem.

To me, it looks like the trailer may have traveled thru an area of serious ice and snow removal by chemicals or salt.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #5
Tbos

The valves stems are OEM. I’ll see what the dealer and Keystone say. If they won’t step up to the plate I’ll either replace the whole stem or just the washers. The RV was built in Apr and hasn’t been on any treated roads that I know of.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
The valves stems are OEM. I’ll see what the dealer and Keystone say. If they won’t step up to the plate I’ll either replace the whole stem or just the washers. The RV was built in Apr and hasn’t been on any treated roads that I know of.

I think I'd send pictures here... http://www.hispecwheel.com/
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:55 PM   #7
Tbos

Rusting Valve Stems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
I think I'd send pictures here... http://www.hispecwheel.com/

I sent them the information. There wasn’t a way to send the pictures. I told them I had them if desired. We will see what they say. My dealer service manager is out until the 3rd. I sent it to them too. I looked on line at valve stems and they all have rubber insulators. I’m thinking they forgot something in the assembly.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
ChuckS

Something like these would not rust...

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTH90416

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:29 AM   #9
bobbecky

I'm not sure, but I've looked at that photo really close and I don't see any corrosion on the wheel itself, only on the surface of the washer. The 'rubber insulator' you mention is the gasket that is compressed by the washer and nut that keeps the air from leaking out. It looks like you could get some stainless steel washers and just replace them yourself and you would be good. Those valve stems are inserted from the inside and if you are careful, you can remove the nut, replace the washer, and put the nut back on without losing air.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
It appears the base of my valve stems are rusting. I’m thinking I have a dissimilar metal corrosion issue going on. The wheels are aluminum and I believe the stems are steel. Does anyone have an idea on how to stop it. My old military training tells me to clean it up and seal it so there is no air or moisture to act as a dielectric. What would be best to seal it. Should I ask the dealer to ask Keystone to replace the stems with aluminum ones? I’m still under warranty. Attachment 19729
Tom,

It looks like things worked as they should given your location near the ocean (Maryland, correct?). The bright zinc coating on the steel washer is sacrificial. Simply replace it with another zinc plated washer. Hopefully with a little more zinc on it so it lasts longer.

Do not be tempted to replace it with a stainless steel washer since the valve stem or wheel would now become sacrificial and corrode before the stainless steel washer.

Another option is to replace the valve stem with a higher quality better designed (IMO) OEM version like this Ford N-1600 specific to aluminum wheels: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...-valve-han1600
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #11
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow View Post
Tom,

It looks like things worked as they should given your location near the ocean (Maryland, correct?). The bright zinc coating on the steel washer is sacrificial. Simply replace it with another zinc plated washer. Hopefully with a little more zinc on it so it lasts longer.

Do not be tempted to replace it with a stainless steel washer since the valve stem or wheel would now become sacrificial and corrode before the stainless steel washer.

Another option is to replace the valve stem with a higher quality better designed (IMO) OEM version like this Ford N-1600 specific to aluminum wheels: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/produc...-valve-han1600

I am near the Chesapeake bay but we don’t get any salt spray here. I did spend a week in Myrtle Beach. There was a lot of salt spray there but I did wash the rig before we left. That’s a good point on the washers being the sacrificial anode for the wheels and stems. I’ll see what Keystone says. I was hoping HiSpec would have responded to my email today but they have not. Maybe they are researching it, lol. Once I have the information from Keystone and possibly HiSpec I’ll see which route I take. Thanks everyone.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #12
Tbos

Never heard back from HiSpec. However Keystone denied replacement of the washers. I’ll end up replacing them myself. They aren’t expensive but as others have said I’d rather have them rust instead of the wheels corroding.