Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2017, 03:19 AM   #1
thatoneguy99

GFCI outlets

On my 2017 Hideout there are a number of outlets, spread out throughout the camper, that have "protected by GFCI" labels on them. The only GFCI breaker that I found was in the master bathroom.
Does anyone know of any other breakers somewhere that I missed, or is there only one GFCI circuit? Also when it rains somewhat hard it trips this circuit.
Any information and help is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thatoneguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
xrated

It's a common practice, both in houses and TT to put a GFCI receptacle in and then "daisy chain" more receptacles downstream of the one GFCI, thus the downstream one are protected also. There may or may not be another GFCI receptacle in your trailer, it just depends on how it was wired. The reason that the GFCI was tripped is most likely there is an outside receptacle that is being fed from the GGCI and it got some moisture/water in it when the heavy rain started. I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago while at the track and we go a downpour that resembled a cow peeing on a flat rock. The GFCI recept. tripped, which killed the power to an outside recpt., a recpt in the bedroom, and maybe a couple of other. You might want to check the outside recpt. and make sure that the weatherproof cover is fully closed and that the caulk job around the cover is not letting any water/moisture into the recpt. area.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 03:27 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

The one you found is it. If you have an outlet on the exterior of your trailer, I would look at the seal for the cover. It may be leaking and the outside plug is part of the GFCI circuit.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
Voltsandjolts

GFCI'S have a "line" and a "load" set of terminal screws on them. The GFCI outlet will have one set of wires coming from ur panel and the other 2wires (hot and neutral) coming off the GFCI will be goin to every outlet that the manufacturer was trying to GFCI "protect". Typically the NEC (national electric code) is any outlet within 6feet of water and/or any ouyside outlets. U could remove the wires from the load side of the GFCI and put them on the line side and it will not trip the GFCI, however......I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS. GFCI'S are meant to trip at a .02 milliamps of difference between the hot and neutral and it only takes .6 milliamps to stop a human heart. It's tripping and doing it's job. Now the other thing is that GFCIs can and do go bad and it might need to be replaced with a QUALITY GFCI.
Voltsandjolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:47 AM   #5
notanlines

I suspect that everyone who's posted so far knows as much and probably more about AC electricity as I do. I would emphasize the phrase "quality receptical." What's a few bucks where lives are at stake?
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #6
xrated

I'm pretty sure I've got the Electrical stuff figured out. It's really pretty simple stuff......You gots one wire a comin' and one wire a goin'!

Old 09-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I'm pretty sure I've got the Electrical stuff figured out. It's really pretty simple stuff......You gots one wire a comin' and one wire a goin'!
And one more wire sittin' thar, nekkid and turning copper colored (embarrassed) cause it don't got no "pardner".......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:12 AM   #8
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
And one more wire sittin' thar, nekkid and turning copper colored (embarrassed) cause it don't got no "pardner".......
John.....it seems that you've "ground" down to the truth with that one! But I should have expected it, you are usually the one to "Bare" the truth, no matter how grounded it is!

Happy Holiday my friend!

Old 09-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Man, after those three posts I was positive I could come up with something to piggy back on them but.......they're just too dang funny and I can't come with anything Thanks and good job
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Man, after those three posts I was positive I could come up with something to piggy back on them but.......they're just too dang funny and I can't come with anything Thanks and good job
There is nothing "positive" about GFCI circuits, so I think I'll just remain "neutral" in this discussion!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
Voltsandjolts

LOL.........nice
Voltsandjolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
There is nothing "positive" about GFCI circuits, so I think I'll just remain "neutral" in this discussion!

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:55 AM   #13
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

No wonder these things trip from time to time. [emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:08 AM   #14
Qurich

There is no interaction between one GFCI and another, unless one is faulty in some ground-faulting manner. Set that idea aside and let's imagine some scenarios where all the branch circuit wiring and GFCIs are good.

The GFCI receptacle will trip with a leakage, let's say, of 5.12 milliamps that can come from whatever is downstream of it.

The GFCI breaker will trip, let's pretend, at 5.3 milliamps.

Now the branch circuit has a couple other outlets on it between the GFCI breaker and the GFCI receptacle, and the branch circuit conductors are each about 55 feet long between the breaker and receptacle. There will be a capacitive "leakage" to ground along the 55 feet. Lets say that is 0.1 milliamp.

If no load is connected to any of the outlets between breaker and GFCI receptacle, and a ground fault downstream of the GFCI receptacle of 5.15 milliamps occurs, the receptacle will see 5.15 milliamps, and the breaker will see 5.25 milliamps. The receptacle will trip.

Now, let's add a cord and plug "thing" to one of the intermediate outlets between the GFCI breaker and the GFCI receptacle, a thing that has a ground fault "leakage" of 0.2 milliamps. Now, a ground fault through the GFCI receptacle of 5.05 milliamps occurs, the GFCI receptacle will see 5.05 milliamps and not trip, and the GFCI breaker will see 5.35 milliamps and the breaker WILL trip.

Moral of the story: It's hard to know, without careful circuit analysis, which GFCI will trip. The end user will probably find their behavior to be a mystery and hard to live with.

I currently have 2 dedicated 120v/20 amp circuits that have 20 amp GFCI receptacles (these). After some thought and consideration I realized it would be quite difficult to test/reset a faulted GFCI outlet as my tank/stand is about 43" from the receptacle and I would be leaning across a 36" wide sump.

So I went and bought two Square D Homeline 20-Amp Single-Pole GFCI Circuit Breakers https://besttoolexpert.com/gfci-outlet/ (my sub-panel is a Square D Homeline model).
Qurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #15
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy99 View Post
On my 2017 Hideout there are a number of outlets, spread out throughout the camper, that have "protected by GFCI" labels on them. The only GFCI breaker that I found was in the master bathroom.
Does anyone know of any other breakers somewhere that I missed, or is there only one GFCI circuit? Also when it rains somewhat hard it trips this circuit.
Any information and help is much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On most of the Keystone RV units there is ONE GECI breaker with all the remaining outlets daisy chained off this GFCI, inside and out. (shameful) The major appliances will have there own circuits. Take a look at the breakers in the circuit breaker panel for specifics on your unit. They should be clearly identified.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:30 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

If heavy rain is tripping the GFI, I would start at the outside outlet. I’ve seen the cover seal not installed correctly.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #17
mtofell

Mots mid-sized RVs I've seen have two circuits for the outlets - 1 GFI protected that runs through wet locations (kitchen, bathroom, exterior), the other circuit for the rest of the outlets. This is not only helpful to know for the subject at hand but also if you want to plug in multiple space heaters and get them on separate circuits so you don't overload.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfci, outlets