Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2022, 04:11 AM   #1
Tazman22

Mud flaps or Spray liner

Good day all. I am thinking of getting a set of mud flaps to go along the bumper. Just wondering if anyone has thought of a spray linger on the front of the 5'er to protect against road debris to cut down on weight. what are your thoughts. Thank you all.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:52 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Me personally I would put mud flaps on the truck before spraying anything on an expensive trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:52 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman22 View Post
Good day all. I am thinking of getting a set of mud flaps to go along the bumper. Just wondering if anyone has thought of a spray linger on the front of the 5'er to protect against road debris to cut down on weight. what are your thoughts. Thank you all.
personally i think spray liner would look terrible…why not put a couple coats of wax and IF one day you decide it needs to have cosmetic repairs then you can try to cover it up…i installed mud flaps on my dually …thought about the reciever mounted mudflaps but i have painted bumpers and was concerned it would rub them
Old 07-01-2022, 05:24 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

My SIL & husband live 7 miles up a dirt road in Colorado. They have an R-Pod that had the front sprayed with color matched bedliner. Doesn't look terrible IMO. I did not that your concern was saving weight. If the weight of the mud flap is a big deal then you have issues beyond rock scars.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:31 AM   #5
travelin texans

I've seen several with the color matched bedliner sprayed on the front that look very nice. Now the cheapo black Rhino lining or some of the DIY roll on stuff I say NO WAY!
Not sure where you live or whether that truck listed is a dually, but I do know in Texas mud flaps are required on ALL dual wheel vehicles.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #6
rhagfo

Mud flaps on the back of the truck wheel wells. I also don’t understand the comment about weight!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:45 PM   #7
wrvond

I've had mud flaps, mud guards and Rock Tamers.

I had the mud flaps because they were required. They were ok, but could be a pain, especially backing in to a parking spot. To be effective, mud flaps have to hang fairly low which puts them at risk of being trapped between the tire and curb when backing in to a spot - this can tear them off. Uneven ground, even snow banks can present the same risk. As soon as I could I switched from mud flaps to mud guards by Husky. I really like them but they aren't really going to protect much beyond your exhaust pipe tips - and that not very well. They are more for aesthetics than true function. The Rock Tamers that mount to your hitch can be more effective than mud flaps alone due to the tendency for tires to kick debris up in the air at such an angle the mud flaps don't always catch it, or if the debris is heavy - like a chunk of metal - the Rock Tamers can help block the camper. However, if your truck is dual rear wheel, the Rock Tamers (or any flaps mounting to the hitch) are going to stick out beyond the ends of your bumper - creating a knee/shin hazard and generally looking ugly. I have seen some guys take mud flap material and attach it directly to the inside of their bumper similar to what you see on the back end of the fancy class 'A's. This can be a lot less expensive than Rock Tamers and just as effective, if not moreso.
In the end, the most effective way to protect the front of your camper is to avoid running over road debris.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 02:34 AM   #8
Tazman22

Thank you all for the input...I may just go with the flaps..Thanks again