Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
Zoe

Random Fifth wheel height question…

Hi all, We are happy owners of a “small” fifth wheel, Cougar half ton 23MLS. Not too long ago a link on the forum introduced us to the new version of our fiver. The new version addressed the ONLY TWO things that are not perfect about our fiver- no bathroom access with slide closed, and that awful narrow, cavernous deep pantry. Although we love ours, we would have seriously considered switching EXCEPT for the height. Our current one squeaks into the barn (12’ door) was labeled 11’10”, which is really too close for my comfort already but is actually about 11’11 3/4” after removing the bathroom vent cover to shave off a couple inches. So we’re thinking is that if it’s advertised as 12’ it’s probably 12’ 3 3/4”. When we purchased it we weren’t allowed to go up on the roof and make a measurement ourselves (liabilities) and the dealer and several Keystone reps “verified” the total height as advertised. Water under the bridge, it’s been a fantastic camper! My question (finally) is this: does everybody really desire these skyscraper fivers? A query to Keystone was responded to with a brief crisp reply telling me that I’m in a minority- “everyone” else prefers the taller units. Do ya’ll? Just curious what the thoughts on about growing rv heights? Thanks!
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:31 PM   #2
Oilfan97

My last unit was a 5th wheel (1996) where the bedroom was all of 4' tall. Had to crawl into and out of bed.

I absolutely see the need/want for a taller unit.

That being said, I see some of those behemoth units on the road and think that I wouldn't want to deal with that.
Oilfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I think it all depends on what you're doing with your fifth wheel. If it's primarily a "hunting/fishing weekend camper" then a "not tall unit" might be OK.

If it's a "summer cabin" used on longer trips and lived in for 3-12 weeks at a time, then not being "on your knees to get in bed" is a plus most would find attractive.

If it's a "full time or most time residence" then I think most people would want a washer/dryer and the ability to actually "stand up and walk in the bedroom"....

My Cougar XLite is 11'11" tall and both my 5'2" wife and myself (6'2") literally CUSS the damn thing every time we're both trying to get dressed or ready for bed when we have to bend over and step up to crouch to get around the bed to access clothing that's stored in the night stands....

So, yes, height of the trailer equals adequate headroom in the bedroom and most people want something "workable for their purposes" and crouching in the bedroom "ain't acceptable"....

I think, for most people, a major difference in a "camping trailer" and a "residential trailer" (suitable for long term living) is headroom. Keystone is right, people don't want to "crawl into bed or bump their head in their trailer" just so it will fit in a garage or storage barn...

I've got a 14' pole barn and actually "long for a taller fifth wheel".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 03:55 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Our 5th wheel is 28' long and is a shorty. It would be nice to walk around the bed but the drawback is the height issue as has been noted. We pretty much get on/off the bed by the getting off the end and my queen mattress is a standard rather than a queen as I don't like my feet hanging off. All campers have compromises except the huge and very expensive and when you want a 28' 5th wheel and not a 38' fiver, there are more compromises but our modifications and floor plan make our camper work for us. When we dress we do it off the bed in the full height area in the upper part by the bathroom where the closet and drawers are anyway.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
notanlines

Our Suites is 13 ft 7 inches sitting level and hooked to the TV. The height does make the living experience much better. But for those traveling on a regular basis, the bathroom and fridge access is more important!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 06:06 PM   #6
vampress_me

Our old 5er was a Cougar XLite 28RDB, basically the older equivalent of your half ton. The bedroom wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great either. I’m the shorty in our family at 5’-6”, and could hit my head on the frame of the pocket door if I wasn’t careful. Our new 5er is advertised as being 13’-4” tall. I can say I don’t have to worry about bumping my head in the bedroom, and I don’t think hubby does either. So for me, yes, I do love the taller camper. Although, the first time it was hooked to the truck, I about had heart failure because it looked so tall!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 07:11 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

A taller 5th wheel is a pro/con situation totally dependent on the user. I used to love a pop up; small size, could drop into a dime sized slot between trees - great back then. Cons? No conveniences, leaks, complications with the pull outs etc....we gave them up. Same for regular sized travel trailers.

IMO the taller 5th wheels are the way to go. The lower ceilings got very old. The closed in feeling got very old. DW got to the point she always harped at me that she wanted to leave wherever we were at because she was tired of feeling cramped, closed in - the taller 5th wheel fixed that. Personally I wouldn't trade for it....and I'm a guy that said he would never own a 5th wheel...and here we are.

Another facet is the elevated height of the trailer over the axles. Used to be spring under, now it's spring over etc. That increase in height is very much appreciated as well. I've drug back bumpers, bent them, hung spares attached to the back bumper and bent the up - all due to trailers too low. So in answer to your question, we love it. A nice, expensive, big trailer that you have to duck everywhere you move, bump your head, feel claustrophobic....at the price they cost? Nah.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel