Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2023, 04:24 AM   #1
java2d

2022 Alpine AL3220RL Battery Question

Recently purchased from dealer new 5th wheel. How many and what size batteries should my new 2022 Keystone Alpine AL 3220RL have to operate properly? Thanks
java2d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:37 AM   #2
ChuckS

If I had the Residential fridge setup like your then I would have:
Inverter battery - AGM GRP 31 series

Main Coach batteries - two GRP 29 or 31 minimum

In my case I run two Costco GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries that fit in my Alpines hydraulic pump access door area.. They are now on their 8th year of use.. Cost invested: $180 eight years ago

Also if you have lots of cash to spend then of course you could go the route of the Lifepo batteries - and you would also need to get and DC DC charger installed because the truck 7 way will not get the job done very well at all with lithium batteries

What you choose to have depends solely on your style of RVing.. if never off the grid versus off the grid a lot

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:22 AM   #3
java2d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

In my case I run two Costco GC2 6 volt golf cart batteries that fit in my Alpines hydraulic pump access door area.. They are now on their 8th year of use.. Cost invested: $180 eight years ago

Also if you have lots of cash to spend then of course you could go the route of the Lifepo batteries - and you would also need to get and DC DC charger installed because the truck 7 way will not get the job done very well at all with lithium batteries

What you choose to have depends solely on your style of RVing.. if never off the grid versus off the grid a lot
Thanks. I'm a novice to 5th wheel trailers but an experienced motorhome/travel trailer owner. When I took delivery of my new unit I did not look carefully in the main battery compartment, but all systems were working. However it was plugged into shore power. When I got home and tried to use the auto leveling system it malfunctioned and the battery voltage level was very low. To my surprise, in the main battery compartment of this brand new unit there is only one small battery the size you typically find in a cheap compact auto. I'm trying to assess just how bad this is before I fire a shot over the dealer's bow. What do you think? Has anyone else experienced this type of thing from an Keystone Alpine dealer?
Old 01-14-2023, 06:52 AM   #4
Max23

Mine came with 2 lifepo4's, did see some with only 1 battery as we looked. That said, two batteries or 1 wont make a difference on how much power is going out, just how long this power will last. Possibly yours has a bad battery?? This is not uncommon. If that battery is lead acid, if the power in it has been drained at some point, the battery is probably bad. sorry to say.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The trailer didn't come with batteries from Keystone so whatever you have on the trailer is compliments of your dealer.

Your problem sure sounds like a bad/low battery. You don't say if you have the optional residential fridge or not. If you do minimum number of batteries would be 2, optimum would be 3. Size (grp) of battery would depend on your usage. For example I do not use the trailer power unless I'm connected to shore power (except once when I had a flat on the TV) so I don't need large, high capacity batteries.

As far as your battery being bad or ?? I learned a few years back that there is no telling what a dealer might put in an RV at point of sale for a "new" battery then cover it in a battery box - might be some old crud covered thing some tech found in a corner and slapped in there.

In your case I'd be on the dealer right now. If you have the res fridge it was irresponsible for them to send you off with one battery. If you don't, IMO it still was but many do. It sounds like the dealer ran the battery down while getting it ready to go and did not either charge or replace it. If it has been depleted below 50% it's life has been shortened. If they killed it then tried to recharge you might as well call it a bad battery. Depleting a LA battery to 0 effectively destroys its potential lifespan IMO. Tell the dealer it's a new trailer sale; you expect nothing less than 2 new quality batteries - he can have the dead one back.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 08:59 AM   #6
travelin texans

Typically the dealer puts a RV/Marine cranking battery in them, some put Interstates & some put a who knows what brand cheap as they find, which are suited best for starting boat motors & possibly running the low amp trolling motor, not the best option for a rv with the deep discharge/charge cycles.
If yours was dead when got home after your 1st trip you may need to check the factory battery disconnect near the batteries, if it on the batteries won't charge. Also if the sparked to cables wh3n installing that battery then the reverse polarity fuses on the converter are likely blown resulting in no battery charging.
Whatever the cause I'd be at the GMs desk having it taken care of ASAP along a couple new appropriate batteries.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 09:10 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

"Also if the sparked to cables wh3n installing that battery then the reverse polarity fuses on the converter are likely blown resulting in no battery charging."

Not to be picky but if there is some 12V stuff turned on it will spark also. BTDT a ton of times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:33 PM   #8
java2d

Thanks to all for your responses. They were helpful. This forum is a great resource.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:44 AM   #9
GBR

I did a similar approach as ChuckS and placed 2 of my original 4 deep cell 6 volt batteries in the house battery section and connected a DC to DC charger. I removed the remaining two 6 volt batteries and purchased an Ecoflo Delta which I use to plug into my Residential Fridge to keep it running on long trips. I purchased an automotive 12 volt plug to connect to the batteries and plug it into the Ecoflo via the 12 volt charge port and keep it well charged during travel.I found this to be a simple and lightweight solution to keeping our fridge running smoothly.
Pullrite 16K Superglide
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 10:04 AM   #10
Folkie

Quote:

Chuck,
When I converted to a LiFePo4 battery last year I contacted Battleborn to find out if I needed a DC to DC charger and they said no. I was not entirely convinced, but after a few trips it seems that everything worked fine without. We would arrive at our site still fully charged (we don't have a residential fridge and only about a 1.5 A parasitic load). If we were boondocking and the battery was down the morning we departed it would be significantly recharged (depending on the length of the trip) by the time we returned home.
Can you share your thoughts/rationale on the DC to DC charger.
Thanks,
Phil
Old 01-26-2023, 01:34 PM   #11
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie View Post
Chuck,
When I converted to a LiFePo4 battery last year I contacted Battleborn to find out if I needed a DC to DC charger and they said no. I was not entirely convinced, but after a few trips it seems that everything worked fine without. We would arrive at our site still fully charged (we don't have a residential fridge and only about a 1.5 A parasitic load). If we were boondocking and the battery was down the morning we departed it would be significantly recharged (depending on the length of the trip) by the time we returned home.
Can you share your thoughts/rationale on the DC to DC charger.
Thanks,
Phil
Considering the typical wire gauge of most OEM trailer wiring packages installed on trucks..the length of the run , etc the alternator can’t deliver the amp load needed to properly charge those batteries

My statement is based on one of many articles I’ve read.. I’m one of the die hard folks that simply can’t see the funds being spent on the new style batteries yet for a plethora of reasons,, cost being one of them

One of many articles out there ..and each has its merits

https://community.victronenergy.com/...h-lifepo4.html

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #12
Folkie

Quote:
Considering the typical wire gauge of most OEM trailer wiring packages installed on trucks..the length of the run , etc the alternator can’t deliver the amp load needed to properly charge those batteries

My statement is based on one of many articles I’ve read.. I’m one of the die hard folks that simply can’t see the funds being spent on the new style batteries yet for a plethora of reasons,, cost being one of them

One of many articles out there ..and each has its merits

https://community.victronenergy.com/...h-lifepo4.html
Thanks for the clarification. I don't really depend on the TV to charge the battery much since I also have solar.
For what its worth, I have been happy with the upgrade to LiFePO4 on my small TT. On the plus side: more available power, less weight and faster charging. Possible negative is the up front cost of the battery and converter. I wrote off some of that as the cost of my education. I guess time will tell.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #13
rogerinamarillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by java2d View Post
Recently purchased from dealer new 5th wheel. How many and what size batteries should my new 2022 Keystone Alpine AL 3220RL have to operate properly? Thanks
My 2021 Avalanche 312RS came from the dealership (Bailey Tolliver RV in Brownfield TX) with 2 marine/RV Interstate batteries. I switch the inverter on while attached to my TV to keep my residential fridge operating. I keep a Deltran Battery Tender on the batteries while in storage and have had good luck.
rogerinamarillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, battery