Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2022, 05:13 PM   #21
foldbak

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...64932214&psc=1

They work perfectly!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221221-170353_Tank .jpg
Views:	110
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	42504  

Tony & Donna & Murphy
2022 Montana HC 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2000 inverter, 200AH Lithium, 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, 10 speed Alison Trans, Demco 21K Auto Slide
foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:15 AM   #22
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Sooooo, after you guys said this, I went and did some more research. Apparently I was given some bad information on how these work. I was told never to leave both tanks open as you run the risk of running out without knowing it. Well, yes I can still see how that can happen if you never check the window but if all works as it should, you should know when you have an empty tank as it automatically switches to the second tank when you run out on the first and your checking your window and turning it correctly. This is how bad info gets you. LOL. Thanks for the info people! I appreciate it!!!
Well, it's not necessarily bad info. Not all regulators are auto-switching. My previous rig had a regulator that would do exactly this -- draw from both sides.
Old 12-25-2022, 08:35 AM   #23
clockmanjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I've used the Mopeka tank sensors for years with great results. When I bought mine they didn't include dielectric grease or recommend using it. Now, from what I've seen they now do. I used it from day one but by DW was an OB/Delivery nurse and said any ultrasonic device like that should have something like the ultrasound jell on it.
I've used these for years and have never been caught off guard.
JIm
2021 #219BH Passport pulled by a F150 3.6 Eco boost with HD tow package
clockmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:43 AM   #24
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Ok, so I have searched the forum and can not apparently find the exact verbage to bring up what I am looking for. I get hundreds of posts/threads about everything I don't want. LOL. So, that said, I will ask here.

Has anyone found or use or have any tricks they use to somewhat accurately keep track of how full their propane tanks are before finding out the hard way. Like on a cold night you run dry and cant switch tanks cuz your sleeping. I've seen gauges that get mixed reviews, many leak etc etc. Do you use anything you have found that works well? Thanks in advance.
I created a note in my phone which gives me the date for each tank, on which I filled or changed over to the other tank. It has served me well. Right now, I'm getting approximately 4 days per tank, in the coldest part of the year. With 21°, outside, I'm getting four days per tech. When the fridge lights blink, and the heat doesn't come out of the furnace, I just go out and flip the lever over to the other side, turn the valve on to the full tank, remove the empty tank, and go about my day.

Example -
2022-12-17* Filled RightTank
2022-12-19* Switched to RightTank
2022-12-21* Filled LeftTank
2022-12-23* Switched to LeftTank
2022-12-23* Filled RightTank

It may not be for everyone, but so far, I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night to change tanks. And, since I don't have regulator/valve set in the middle, I don't have to worry about emptying both tanks without my knowledge.
Once the lights start blinking, I go out and flip the switch, and turn on the full bottle. I don't leave both bottles open.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 09:09 AM   #25
larryflew

Also using the Mopeka sensors since 2011 on 3 different trailers and 5th wheels. Work great. With our first 2 the rims on the tanks where short and had to use the rubber legs that came with the Mopeka. Got tired of those and made permanent aluminum ones to fit. With our current 5th wheel the tanks have a deeper rim and no longer need anything to add the sensors.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:46 AM   #26
Bamabox

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
The second tip is you can pour a cup of hot water down the side of a bottle and you'll get a noticeable change in temp on the side as you run your hand down the bottle (Sometimes even a frost line at the LP level) to show you how much LP remaining in the bottle.
Good idea! I'll have to try that.[/QUOTE]

That’s how I check. Hot water and my IR temp gun. You will know exactly how much propane you have. And every RVer should have an IR temp gun for checking their wheel hubs occasionally to see if one is getting hotter than the others. Also comes in handy for checking and adjusting the temp in your fridge and adjusting it with that stupid slide gizmo.

2015 Ram 3500 SLT 5.7 Hemi
Bamabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 03:34 PM   #27
WDPatterson

The area where my propane tanks sit does not have a sealed flat bottom. It has a metal rib that crosses from the door to the frame of the trailer. The tank sits on that, and the area is vented out the bottom.
I'm curious about the risk of the sensors falling from underneath the tank, and out of that compartment.
Old 12-25-2022, 05:00 PM   #28
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm another that's always had both bottles open! It's equipped with an auto changeover valve designed to so you won't run out in the middle of the night, so use it as it was designed.
In the winter running the furnace regularly you'd need to check if the tanks have switched every 2 to 5 days, in the summer you likely could go all season on 1 bottle unless using it to grill, the cooktop, fire pit or other LP appliances frequently.
Exactly. Just make sure your change over lever is fully in one position or the other. After much research, I stopping leaving the lever in the middle thinking that's how it works. I found out I was reducing my propane flow to 40% . Fortunately no foul.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 10:13 PM   #29
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
Exactly. Just make sure your change over lever is fully in one position or the other. After much research, I stopping leaving the lever in the middle thinking that's how it works. I found out I was reducing my propane flow to 40% . Fortunately no foul.
According to three different propane and accessory dealers in my area, the lever should ALWAYS be put in the left or right oosition to prevent using up both tanks.
If it's left in the center, it leaves both open.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #30
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDPatterson View Post
According to three different propane and accessory dealers in my area, the lever should ALWAYS be put in the left or right oosition to prevent using up both tanks.
If it's left in the center, it leaves both open.
Exactly! With it left in the center position you're running off both tanks, never heard of the pressure reduction, so when empty they're both empty at the same time, not what you want at 2am.
Point to right or left you run off that tank, when empty it automatically switches to the other tank & indicator turns red, remove empty to refill & repeat. But for it to operate as designed both tanks must be opened all the time.
I've only had to get up in the middle of the night once, learned then how that worked & in 45+ years it's worked flawlessly.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:08 PM   #31
Bandit12

I've had the Mopeka tank sensors for about a year now. They work well, but I had to replace the batteries in both sensors this summer. Not very hard to do. But with the batteries going weak I got some erroneous readings. Once I replaced the batteries, I had no more issues. Another point of contention I had was a the little metal clips they included with the sensors to provide adequate clearance for the bottom of the tank. When I removed the tank to get it refilled, one of the clips fell off. I was able to reinstall one on one tank, but the second tank that lost a clip and when I tried to squeeze it a little tighter, it broke. Mopeka sells a plastic tank "halo" the tank sits in to raise it bit but they want $15 each. For a couple bucks, I got a piece of 1/4 inch fuel hose, slit it lengthwise and cut it to fit the tank bottom ring. Provides enough clearance for the sensors, still fits nicely on the tray and stays on the bottom of the tank better.
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 04:30 PM   #32
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
I've had the Mopeka tank sensors for about a year now. They work well, but I had to replace the batteries in both sensors this summer. Not very hard to do. But with the batteries going weak I got some erroneous readings. Once I replaced the batteries, I had no more issues. Another point of contention I had was a the little metal clips they included with the sensors to provide adequate clearance for the bottom of the tank. When I removed the tank to get it refilled, one of the clips fell off. I was able to reinstall one on one tank, but the second tank that lost a clip and when I tried to squeeze it a little tighter, it broke. Mopeka sells a plastic tank "halo" the tank sits in to raise it bit but they want $15 each. For a couple bucks, I got a piece of 1/4 inch fuel hose, slit it lengthwise and cut it to fit the tank bottom ring. Provides enough clearance for the sensors, still fits nicely on the tray and stays on the bottom of the tank better.
That's an excellent idea!!
Old 12-26-2022, 07:46 PM   #33
LERD

I had to go back to find that video that had the listing for the switchover regulator. I was mistaken about the reduction of the propane. It's down BY 40%, not down to 40% It's a great video by Darren Koepp of My RV Works. I'm posting a link to the video and it's almost 60 mins long. But if you fast forward to right around minute 40 you can catch his explanation. Trust me when I tell you, I had to learn real fast that the dealer I bought from was totally clueless on how these things work. I didn't know it at the time, but my PDI was a joke.

https://youtu.be/e8lBrdHjJn4
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 04:30 PM   #34
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKLimey View Post
I have used the Mopeka sensors for several years. I think they're great.
Ditto. I have 2 sensors on the camper and 1 on my grill at home. Like mentioned, I have an alarm set at 20% so I know (on my cell) when to start thinking about a refill. I also use my 20 lb tanks to refill the 1 lb bottles I use for my Blackstone and other accessories. Otherwise in the South, I don't use a lot of propane and an empty tank can sneak up on you. It's nice to have the sensor and alarm
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank