Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2023, 04:26 AM   #1
friz

What happened to Gas Buddy?

Rig has been parked for over a year so I have not looked at Gas Buddy. Has it changed or is it just me? On my iphone I cannot change from "gas " to "diesel" prices. On my laptop it will only show me stations if I put in a city. No scrolling up/down the highway looking at prices which was why I had Gas Buddy. Downloaded the app to my wife's iphone and I could not get past "age verification". What the heck is that? As I said it just may be me.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 04:39 AM   #2
notanlines

They updated their app recently and it is FUBAR from the word go. They say they are looking for a fix as we speak.

On edit: i just again clicked on the app and it seems to be back to normal, however still contains the warning/info message
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 05:55 AM   #3
dutchmensport

I haven't looked a Gas Buddy since last November, so you made me look.

When you open the app, on the bottom of the screen should be a little icon "Find Gas" with a gas pump. Click it.

On the next page, up at the top, you have selections, "Price" "Gas" "Credit Only".

Click on the "Gas" box and flip it to Gas or Diesel. It will display a list of fuel stations in your current geographical area if you phone is set to accept your current location.

At the very top right of the screen is another little box, "Map". Click it. It will pull up the map with your current location indicated by the little blue dot. (I had to resize the map and then all the fuel stations popped in).

Hopefully, yours is working this way. I see no issues.

I saw one Diesel station with a current price of $3.99 and $3.92. That's the lowest Diesel price I've seen in over 2 years now. All the rest in my current area are showing $4.20 - $4.29
Old 04-08-2023, 09:47 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I have no issues on using it on my android (Samsung) phone. It doesn't work correctly on my Samsung tablet which I find odd as they are both the same version of android OS.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:53 AM   #5
Carl n Susan

I've had Gas Buddy for over 5 years and use it almost every day. It and the Open Roads apps are my go to's for fuel. They did update the app 5 months ago. It changed the format of the display on a tablet v. a phone but nothing about age.

Now if they can stop the clowns who post extremely low prices in order to get you to visit their station I would be even happier with it.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 10:15 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I've had Gas Buddy for over 5 years and use it almost every day. It and the Open Roads apps are my go to's for fuel. They did update the app 5 months ago. It changed the format of the display on a tablet v. a phone but nothing about age.

Now if they can stop the clowns who post extremely low prices in order t get you to visit their station I would be even happier with it.
That is also my biggest complaint about GasBuddy. What I've started doing (in the last 3 or 4 years) is comparing the prices for a couple of blocks around that "can't beat it price".... Seems that most stations around the same intersection will be competitive with each other, even if the ones a mile away are much higher (and competing with their location pricing at the higher price)...

So, what I do, is if there's 4 or 5 stations, all are $4.39 and one is 3.79, even if I do want to buy the "best price", I still plan on turning the corner and seeing all the stations at $4.39.....

That said, even if the price is significantly lower, if the station doesn't look like one that has a large turnover of diesel, I don't want to risk the potential damage the "savings on fuel" might really cost in having to change filters and even injectors or pumps from "pumping for dollars rather than pumping for reliability and sound judgement"....

For me, price is not really the most important consideration when buying diesel on the road... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 04:26 PM   #7
Ramtop

I wish GasBuddy would design their app to open easier with less than full cell signal. It use to be easier to get to work but with all the changes it is harder to make work with only a couple bars of signal. Plus they have no real way to make complaints about problems.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:26 AM   #8
jxnbbl

I'm not having a problem with it...except that to get the discount I have to use the gas buddy "debit card." So it no longer makes sense other than looking for the best "regular prices".

Example: 4.25 regular price...they give say 10 cents off....and there are 3 stations with 4.25 regular prices and only one with this gas buddy discount.

4.25 * 3% (what I get as cash back from a CC) = .1275

So just going to any of these stations you end up with more cash back.

Now it would be great if you can use gas buddy, get some discount and then use the CC.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 08:31 AM   #9
larryflew

I switched to "upside" app a year ago and it does all that gas buddy did and gives decent money back. Ties to any credit card and easy to use. They do a pyramid deal where you get some benefits for signing people up. IE right now if you use my sign up when you get the app we each get $7 on your first fill. LARRY3633 is the code.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:29 PM   #10
Jim2366

We have a gas buddy card and use it sometimes. The fuel prices that are shown are many times lower than the price at the station. With the credit card cash back at 1.5 cents per dollar the discount is about the same so gas buddy is not our first choice. I agree with John that getting quality fuel is most important.

Tags
gas