Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2022, 05:22 PM   #1
malibu43

Propane quick-connect adapter questions

I ordered a hose off of amazon to go from the quick connect outlet under the outdoor kitchen of our 2021 219BHWE Passport to our portable griddle that uses 1lb propane tanks. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NCXY39M...roduct_details)

I just went to try it out and the 1/4" quick connect on the hose does not fit the female quick connect under the trailer. The male end of the quick connect on our outdoor kitchen looks to be 1/2", not 1/4". I've looked online and can't find any hoses that go from 1/2" quick connect to the threaded fittings for portable gas grills, griddles, etc... Everything uses 1/4".

Is my trailer different from what RV's and trailer typically use for outdoor propane connections? Am I missing something out there that will go from my 1/2" quick connect on the trailer to a portable grill or griddle?

Pic below is the 1/4" quick connect on the hose I ordered on the bottom, the male quick connect on our trailer's outdoor kitchen on the top (appears to be 1/2").

Thanks! Leaving Thursday and was hoping to have this sorted out and not have to drag along extra propane again. It would be nice to use the two I have already on the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221128_165822.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	42389  
malibu43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 07:51 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
I ordered a hose off of amazon to go from the quick connect outlet under the outdoor kitchen of our 2021 219BHWE Passport to our portable griddle that uses 1lb propane tanks. (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09NCXY39M...roduct_details)

I just went to try it out and the 1/4" quick connect on the hose does not fit the female quick connect under the trailer. The male end of the quick connect on our outdoor kitchen looks to be 1/2", not 1/4". I've looked online and can't find any hoses that go from 1/2" quick connect to the threaded fittings for portable gas grills, griddles, etc... Everything uses 1/4".

Is my trailer different from what RV's and trailer typically use for outdoor propane connections? Am I missing something out there that will go from my 1/2" quick connect on the trailer to a portable grill or griddle?

Pic below is the 1/4" quick connect on the hose I ordered on the bottom, the male quick connect on our trailer's outdoor kitchen on the top (appears to be 1/2").

Thanks! Leaving Thursday and was hoping to have this sorted out and not have to drag along extra propane again. It would be nice to use the two I have already on the trailer.
Go to your local LP distributor to get the match to the 1/2 you have on your rv or buy the matching pair & swap out what's on your rv.
The one you ordered looks to me like an air hose fitting rather than LP, no air hose fittings DO NOT work for LP.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know the history of your trailer, if you bought it new, pre owned or what but that hose you have appears to be a 1/2" "natural" gas line and fitting, not an LP line;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBPR5LQ...1-df67fc737124
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 08:15 PM   #4
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know the history of your trailer, if you bought it new, pre owned or what but that hose you have appears to be a 1/2" "natural" gas line and fitting, not an LP line;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RBPR5LQ...1-df67fc737124
We bought it new in August 2021. It's always had a larger 1/2" fitting on it (and I had previously ordered one of the same hoses on Amazon and found that it didn't fit). Earlier this year, I complained to the dealer that it was hard to connect, and when they looked at it, they said it was the wrong type of fitting and should be smaller. They just finally replaced it earlier this month, and I assumed when I got it back, it would be the 1/4 size that fits the hoses from Amazon. I was surprised today to find it's still 1/2", and that's what led me to ask here what size it *should* be.

I wonder why they have used the larger fitting twice now if RVs are typically 1/4?

edit - so I'm thinking that I could get this to work if I ordered this Natural Gas hose, and then used the included 1/2" to 3/8" adapter to attach the male threaded fitting for portable grills. I'd rather modify a hose to work than mess with the fittings the dealer installed on the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KRFWPWJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KG3KPJD...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 11-28-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

My RVs (that have had the propane line) have been 1/4 and in fact just used a new hose I bought for the Camp Chef:

https://www.amazon.com/GASLAND-Propa...s%2C161&sr=8-5

Might be simpler to just buy your own quick disconnect adapter for the gas line and get the proper hose?
Old 11-29-2022, 09:07 AM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
We bought it new in August 2021. It's always had a larger 1/2" fitting on it (and I had previously ordered one of the same hoses on Amazon and found that it didn't fit). Earlier this year, I complained to the dealer that it was hard to connect, and when they looked at it, they said it was the wrong type of fitting and should be smaller. They just finally replaced it earlier this month, and I assumed when I got it back, it would be the 1/4 size that fits the hoses from Amazon. I was surprised today to find it's still 1/2", and that's what led me to ask here what size it *should* be.

I wonder why they have used the larger fitting twice now if RVs are typically 1/4?

edit - so I'm thinking that I could get this to work if I ordered this Natural Gas hose, and then used the included 1/2" to 3/8" adapter to attach the male threaded fitting for portable grills. I'd rather modify a hose to work than mess with the fittings the dealer installed on the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KRFWPWJ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KG3KPJD...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Rather than keep throwing $$ at Amazon with hopes of finding something that might work, I repeat, go to you local LP distributor for any fittings & they can usually make you an appropriate LP hose any length you choose.
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-29-2022, 09:23 AM   #7
malibu43

Our dealer responded very quickly when I asked. This is what I got back:

"I did check with the tech, and he agrees he said 98% of the coaches come with a 1/4" fitting, however your particular coach comes with 1/2". I would recommend calling Keystone and explain your coach came with the 1/2" and you would like 1/4" like the majority of coaches and accessories and my guess is they will send the connection directly to you."

Maybe it was a COVID thing due to a shortage of 1/4" fittings. I might send Keystone an email and see what they say, but at this point I'd rather not mess with anything on our trailer (it all works), and just focus on getting a hose that connects to what I need it to.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Rather than keep throwing $$ at Amazon with hopes of finding something that might work, I repeat, go to you local LP distributor for any fittings & they can usually make you an appropriate LP hose any length you choose.
Thanks. If I can find one close by and I have time, I'll give that a try.
Old 11-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Our dealer responded very quickly when I asked. This is what I got back:

"I did check with the tech, and he agrees he said 98% of the coaches come with a 1/4" fitting, however your particular coach comes with 1/2". I would recommend calling Keystone and explain your coach came with the 1/2" and you would like 1/4" like the majority of coaches and accessories and my guess is they will send the connection directly to you."

Maybe it was a COVID thing due to a shortage of 1/4" fittings. I might send Keystone an email and see what they say, but at this point I'd rather not mess with anything on our trailer (it all works), and just focus on getting a hose that connects to what I need it to.
While I can't say with absolute certainty that the bolded statement is "hogwash", I will say that I've never seen a "natural gas fitting" on a "propane system" and I'm not sure that would even meet RVIA standards. During the past couple of years, some strange things have come out of the RV assembly lines, but I'd suspect that most RV manufacturers use "approved components in compliance with RVIA requirements". I've NEVER seen an RV with a "natural gas system" so I can't imagine that Keystone would be stocking "natural gas fittings for their propane gas systems"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:04 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
While I can't say with absolute certainty that the bolded statement is "hogwash", I will say that I've never seen a "natural gas fitting" on a "propane system" and I'm not sure that would even meet RVIA standards. During the past couple of years, some strange things have come out of the RV assembly lines, but I'd suspect that most RV manufacturers use "approved components in compliance with RVIA requirements". I've NEVER seen an RV with a "natural gas system" so I can't imagine that Keystone would be stocking "natural gas fittings for their propane gas systems"....
Another scenario is the selling dealer may have "borrowed" the LP QD from that rv for another rv that sold & the NG fitting is all they could find to replace it when this rv sold. Wouldn't put anything past a dealer in order to make a sale!
Replacement undetermined
Old 11-29-2022, 02:09 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

On our unit the outdoor kitchen stove uses a 1/4" QD and the grill connection (under the bumper) is a 3/8" LP QD that looks like a 1/2" nat gas fitting. Back when we bought trailer I ordered a LP hose with a male 3/8" LP QD and a 1/4" female LP QD.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:52 AM   #12
MrRobalo

Having owned a propane company, I can assure you it needs to be quarter inch standard . Many a way it could have been switched out , but I would replace the female on the end to be code approved.
Get the female fitting to go onto the accessory pipe end. Simple to do. First close the propane tanks , then to the back and using a wrench unscrew ( lefty Lucie ) and remove the end. Now if there’s any pipe dope left put some on the new part ( or buy small
Can ) . Once doped up screw the new end on and tighten (righty tidy) very tight . Now put on the propane back on so you can check for leaks . Just use spray bottle of soapy water and liberally spray all the fitting in the system and if any bubble up tighten & Re-Check. I keep a sprayer in with my propane cover.
The main thing is to check all propane fittings and hoses regularly, I hade a squirrel nibble on a hose causing a leak.
Propane is safe , convenient and economical.
All in 1/2 hour and that’s taking your time . Have another person help as 2 eyes are better than 1.
Let us know how it comes out.
Just my 2cents worth.
MrRobalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:16 AM   #13
jvbutter01

as some have mentioned, During covid, many companies found alternative source or parts. I think that is what happened to you. Most i see are all 1/4" type.
Old 12-05-2022, 06:36 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Another scenario is the selling dealer may have "borrowed" the LP QD from that rv for another rv that sold & the NG fitting is all they could find to replace it when this rv sold. Wouldn't put anything past a dealer in order to make a sale!
I'd guess that's very likely what happened.... The service department needed a "propane quick disconnect" to get a trailer off the lot, none in bench stock, so they "robbed this trailer" to get the other one fixed, then, when this trailer sold, they had a "propane leak" and discovered the missing quick disconnect, sent a porter to the hardware store to get one, he brought back the wrong part, but since it "screwed onto the half inch black iron pipe, the tech "stopped the propane leak and kicked the trailer off the lot, for the owner to fix when he found the problem.

Worst case scenario for the tech is that the trailer will come back for warranty repairs... Worst case scenario for the new owner is a long trip back to the dealer for repairs that should NOT have been needed, the hassle of towing it back, letting it sit for weeks "awaiting repair" and all the problems from "cancelled weekend trips to dead batteries" that he'll face.

Sad part: The only issue for the "offending tech" is that he might get some overtime out of the shortcut fix......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:05 AM   #15
UKLimey

Not sure if you already know this, but if going from the quick connect to a portable grill, you will probably need to remove the small regulator from the grill and connect the tubing directly. This is because the gas to the quick connect has already been regulated by the main connection at your propane tank.
Our Website
UKLimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

The OP had to have the fitting fixed by last Thursday. Hopefully he did as we suggested and just bought the correct fitting and put it on - quick and easy vs worrying about a dealer solution. Maybe he'll post back upon his arrival or return and let us know his solution.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:08 AM   #17
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvbutter01 View Post
as some have mentioned, During covid, many companies found alternative source or parts. I think that is what happened to you. Most i see are all 1/4" type.
I actually heard back from Keystone, and they simply said the production line was running using 1/2" fittings at the time. So, yes, probably ran out of 1/4" during COVID and just swapped everything over to 1/2".
Old 12-05-2022, 09:13 AM   #18
malibu43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The OP had to have the fitting fixed by last Thursday. Hopefully he did as we suggested and just bought the correct fitting and put it on - quick and easy vs worrying about a dealer solution. Maybe he'll post back upon his arrival or return and let us know his solution.
I couldn't get anything done before we left, so I just brought an extra 20lb propane tank to use for our griddle.

Right now I'm planning on getting a 1/2" natural gas hose, since that is apparently what is already on my trailer (female) and the outdoor kitchen on the rear of the trailer (male). Much easier just to get a hose that matches the trailer than to get new fittings for the trailer and kitchen, install those, and then still need to buy a hose that matches the new fittings.

I do need to think about UKLimey's comment regarding regulators though...
Old 12-05-2022, 09:28 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I couldn't get anything done before we left, so I just brought an extra 20lb propane tank to use for our griddle.

Right now I'm planning on getting a 1/2" natural gas hose, since that is apparently what is already on my trailer (female) and the outdoor kitchen on the rear of the trailer (male). Much easier just to get a hose that matches the trailer than to get new fittings for the trailer and kitchen, install those, and then still need to buy a hose that matches the new fittings.

What kind of outdoor stove do you have? I've never seen an RV outdoor stove made with a 1/2" natural gas inlet....and I'm pretty sure they didn't make one to fit the one off 1/2" qd they put on your trailer. It would seem it would be far quicker, easier and cheaper to just replace that disconnect with the proper RV LP connector and get the right hose. In the future regular LP hoses, connectors etc. will be readily available and premade to fit most any kind of appliance made you can connect to an RV (they are all 1/4") - that will not hold true for natural gas fittings as they aren't supposed to be on an RV in the first place - doing it right will save LOTS of time, money and confusion going forward.

As far as the regulator situation; the LP supply on your RV is already regulated (that's what the regulator feeding the RV supply line does) so there is no need to regulate the LP supply at the appliance - it will just make it inoperable. That requires the regulator to be removed on most aftermarket appliances and a special hose being installed to connect to the appliance. The exception I've found to that is the Camp Chef outdoor kitchen I recently purchased that uses 2 30k btu burners, considerably larger than most outdoor cookers. There isn't enough pressure to run them at full blast (which isn't surprising) so I simply use an external 20lb. tank.
Old 12-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:

Sounds like your going the most expensive route when all thats needed is a couple correct 1/4" fittings, but it's your choice!
As for the regulator issue, any appliance you use on that QD will have to have it's regulator removed in order to burn correctly. That QD line is already regulated down so with additional regulators whatever is connected will have a very small flame, if any.
Replacement undetermined

Tags
propane