Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2022, 04:39 AM   #1
Stangfire

Fresh water hauling and storage.

Hi,

We just purchased a 2013 Keystone Hideout 31 BHS. It has a 45 gallon fresh water tank.

The trailer will be permanently parked at our camp. The camp has no service at all. I will use solar, batteries and generator.

As for water I think my plan will be to haul out well water from home in a 45 gallon plastic barrel in the back of my truck. Once I get to camp I can use a sump pump and pump it into the trailer with a garden hose. We would use this water for washing not drinking (even though it's good well water).

Typically we only go on weekends so I think I would only need to haul the water barrel every second time and top up the trailer. The other weekends I may just bring a few 5 gallon jugs and pour it in.

Should I add some type of chemical to the water as it may sit in the holding tank for weeks? Chlorine or something?

I could get lake water but it's 150' away and not as clean water.

How does all this sound? Any tips or tricks? Am I on the right path in my thinking.
Stangfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:08 AM   #2
Texas Steve

If you dont plan on drinking the water, I think you will be fine without adding chemicals. What is your plan for the grey and black water since there are no services?
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:16 AM   #3
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
If you dont plan on drinking the water, I think you will be fine without adding chemicals. What is your plan for the grey and black water since there are no services?
I have a wheeled sewage tote and there is a dump tank close by to use. So I can dump it once at the end of the weekend.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:01 AM   #4
Canonman

I'll guess your well water is not chlorinated. There is a product by Camco called TastePure.
It contains sodium hypochlorite. You mix it at 1 oz per 20 gallons and it keeps any algae or slime from forming in your tank. I used it as a purifier when we were camping and had to fill from an untested source.
Camco says it's safe to drink the water at these mixing ratios but we've found it has a slight chlorine taste when we've used it. Wasn't terrible but we used our bottled water for drinking for that trip. Once I rinsed the tank after coming home the tase was gone. I use this product now for spring sanitation of the FW system.
There are drinking water test kits available (you probably use them for your well water) that can tell you if the water is safe to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5527.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	42244  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:30 AM   #5
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'll guess your well water is not chlorinated. There is a product by Camco called TastePure.
It contains sodium hypochlorite. You mix it at 1 oz per 20 gallons and it keeps any algae or slime from forming in your tank. I used it as a purifier when we were camping and had to fill from an untested source.
Camco says it's safe to drink the water at these mixing ratios but we've found it has a slight chlorine taste when we've used it. Wasn't terrible but we used our bottled water for drinking for that trip. Once I rinsed the tank after coming home the tase was gone. I use this product now for spring sanitation of the FW system.
There are drinking water test kits available (you probably use them for your well water) that can tell you if the water is safe to use.
Thanks. Yes my well water is untreated. Straight from the ground. It’s good drinking water but after sitting a few weeks I’m sure would go slimy. I’ll look into that product you mentioned.

Like I said we would bring bottled water for drinking but I still don’t want my fresh water holding tank going slimy. We may skip a weekend going out so there is chances of the water sitting a couple weeks not used or circulated.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:03 AM   #6
Lee

Hi,

I also am on a well at home where I store my TT and I have found that the FWT will grow algae over time with the non-chlorinated well water. Especially during the heat of the summer months.

I add about 1/2 cup of Clorox when I fill my 60gal tank.

We do not drink water from the tank.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:26 AM   #7
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like a good idea to use every so often just to keep it fresh in there even if not storing it full. I may have to try it. Definatley don't want any slime or anything growing in there. Uckkkk.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:30 AM   #8
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

I also am on a well at home where I store my TT and I have found that the FWT will grow algae over time with the non-chlorinated well water. Especially during the heat of the summer months.

Thanks, I'll do that!
Old 11-10-2022, 07:31 AM   #9
Stangfire

I also just thought if the barrel is in the back of my truck I can install a tap on the bottom and probably just gravity feed it into the holding tank. Eliminates the need for a sump pump. Providing it's higher then the inlet on the trailer. My truck is a 4x4 so it sits pretty high.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:34 AM   #10
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

I had a real bad experience one time using Clorox for a different, yet same reason use. I think I'll go with the purewater stuff.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:19 AM   #11
Stangfire

Thanks for all the info so far.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:36 PM   #12
Captainf2

Fresh water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangfire View Post
Hi,

We just purchased a 2013 Keystone Hideout 31 BHS. It has a 45 gallon fresh water tank.

The trailer will be permanently parked at our camp. The camp has no service at all. I will use solar, batteries and generator.

As for water I think my plan will be to haul out well water from home in a 45 gallon plastic barrel in the back of my truck. Once I get to camp I can use a sump pump and pump it into the trailer with a garden hose. We would use this water for washing not drinking (even though it's good well water).

Typically we only go on weekends so I think I would only need to haul the water barrel every second time and top up the trailer. The other weekends I may just bring a few 5 gallon jugs and pour it in.

Should I add some type of chemical to the water as it may sit in the holding tank for weeks? Chlorine or something?

I could get lake water but it's 150' away and not as clean water.

How does all this sound? Any tips or tricks? Am I on the right path in my thinking.
I purchased a poly marine 45 gal fuel tank and bought the rv 12volt water pump. Hooked up the pump to the fuel pick up tube with poly tubing and hose barbs. Converted the pump discharge to garden hose, tied the garden hose into the city water connection. Connected power to a trailer plug to get 12volt power. The pump runs like the on board pump, on and off on pressures. Been boondocking at race tracks for years. Take the truck to a local water supply to fill. Outdoor showers limit gray tanks from being filled. IMO
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:13 PM   #13
dutchmensport

It sounds like you've got things figured out pretty good. I wonder about a sup-pump though. That sounds a little aggressive. Beside, a sup-pump has to be dropped into the tank. So, hopefully, you'll sanitize the pump, inside and out, before you do so. Plus, the electric cord, which will also be in the water.

Here's my solution for hauling water when we are on a campsite that does not have water on the site. The 35 gallon tank came from Tractor Supply. They do make bigger ones. The water transfer pump came from Lowe's. I recently purchased a new one (identical), since the one in the photo below is nearing 10 years old and has pumped, probably ... a million gallons of water (Ok, I'm exaggerating a little on that!)

The water transfer pump is 120 volt AC. I do have a 400 watt inverter I carry in my truck all the time. So if AC electricity is not available, I can always plug in my inverter and use it. I also have 2 Cummins Onan P4500i inverter generators. If we know we are going to be without electricity, we always have them with us. So, if push came to shove, I could fire up the generator and use it for an AC power source too.

Anyway, this works for us. The initial cost for the tank and the pump was well, well worth it. Just thinking about dropping the sup-pump into your water barrel sounds horrible. We have a hot tub and I drain it that way, since the tub is inside the house. I run the hose outside the door and into the yard (we live in the country, no problem with any nearby neighbors complaining about anything). Even though we use the sup-pumps for low spots in the yard and around the property, dropping it into the hot tub always makes me cringe. I simply cannot imagine dropping one into water you may end up drinking!

Purchase a proper transfer tank and pump, and do it right! You'll be using it a lot.

Here's a photo of the first time I filled the tank and tested out the transfer pump. I also sanitized the tank at this time, and this was a great way to sanitize my garden hoses, and this is also a great way to pump sanitized water solution into your fresh water tank in your camper, and then pump it through all your lines and let it sit a few hours to sanitize your entire system.

Old 11-18-2022, 03:55 AM   #14
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainf2 View Post
I purchased a poly marine 45 gal fuel tank and bought the rv 12volt water pump. Hooked up the pump to the fuel pick up tube with poly tubing and hose barbs. Converted the pump discharge to garden hose, tied the garden hose into the city water connection. Connected power to a trailer plug to get 12volt power. The pump runs like the on board pump, on and off on pressures. Been boondocking at race tracks for years. Take the truck to a local water supply to fill. Outdoor showers limit gray tanks from being filled. IMO
Sounds like a nice set up!
Old 11-18-2022, 04:07 AM   #15
Stangfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
It sounds like you've got things figured out pretty good. I wonder about a sup-pump though. That sounds a little aggressive. Beside, a sup-pump has to be dropped into the tank. So, hopefully, you'll sanitize the pump, inside and out, before you do so. Plus, the electric cord, which will also be in the water.

Here's my solution for hauling water when we are on a campsite that does not have water on the site. The 35 gallon tank came from Tractor Supply. They do make bigger ones. The water transfer pump came from Lowe's. I recently purchased a new one (identical), since the one in the photo below is nearing 10 years old and has pumped, probably ... a million gallons of water (Ok, I'm exaggerating a little on that!)

The water transfer pump is 120 volt AC. I do have a 400 watt inverter I carry in my truck all the time. So if AC electricity is not available, I can always plug in my inverter and use it. I also have 2 Cummins Onan P4500i inverter generators. If we know we are going to be without electricity, we always have them with us. So, if push came to shove, I could fire up the generator and use it for an AC power source too.

Anyway, this works for us. The initial cost for the tank and the pump was well, well worth it. Just thinking about dropping the sup-pump into your water barrel sounds horrible. We have a hot tub and I drain it that way, since the tub is inside the house. I run the hose outside the door and into the yard (we live in the country, no problem with any nearby neighbors complaining about anything). Even though we use the sup-pumps for low spots in the yard and around the property, dropping it into the hot tub always makes me cringe. I simply cannot imagine dropping one into water you may end up drinking!

Purchase a proper transfer tank and pump, and do it right! You'll be using it a lot.

Here's a photo of the first time I filled the tank and tested out the transfer pump. I also sanitized the tank at this time, and this was a great way to sanitize my garden hoses, and this is also a great way to pump sanitized water solution into your fresh water tank in your camper, and then pump it through all your lines and let it sit a few hours to sanitize your entire system.

Thanks, great info! I'm essentially going to be doing the exact same thing. Instead of a water tank I found a 45 gallon food grade plastic barrel. It has a removable lid. I just need to instal a valve near the bottom. The only reason I said I'd use a sump pump is because I already have a nice little 1/5 hp, 120v pump that I use to pump out my swimming pool once a year. it's only ever seen pool water and uses a garden hose for the discharge.

I can put an inline transfer pump in if I need to. I'm thinking that the water barrel may be high enough in the box of my truck that gravity may do the job?

Anyway I'm glad to hear that I'm on the right track and my idea should work fine. I think the main thing is to treat the water properly so it doesn't go skunky. I will be using well water from my house and it may sit for weeks.

I will have to figure out the exact ratio for the chlorox bleach.
Old 11-18-2022, 04:18 AM   #16
jasin1

i like the water storage bag idea…fill it up and use it same as a storage tank but when it’s empty you can fold it up and it doesn’t take up any room at all in the truck…comes in various sizes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA3EE0EC-EB5F-4200-B73E-8CA6D878B584.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	42328  

Tags
storage, water