Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
jasin1

went all in on electric “vehicles”

ordered two today…lectric xp 3.0 with extended battery’s and saddlebags,baskets

black friday sale …. should make exploring the small towns around our campsites a little easier …always hard for me to find a safe spot to park my dually without having to worry about door dings.

should fold up and fit in a 44 gallon totes ( sticking out the top) …but i can store inside my fifth wheel and ditch the bike rack
Old 11-03-2022, 10:54 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Well, congrats on the new bikes! I hope you have a lot of fun with them! However, if you ever travel through Indiana and stay at an Indiana State Park or State Recreation area, you'll have to keep those bikes parked. They, along with every other battery operated transportation item used by kids and adults are now banned in the Indiana State Parks.

It started with the hover boards, and quickly included anything with a battery. I asked DNR why the EV bicycles and I was told there has been too much abuse with them. People speed with them and pedestrians and kids are put in danger as far too many have not yielded to the pedestrian. After a few people got hurt because of carelessness, the state administration decided to ban it all.

Golf carts have been banned for a long, long time. It just wasn't enforced. Now, it's being enforced. Only under some very strict exceptions can golf carts be used in the State Parks now ... and ONLY in the campground, no where else in the park.

And, as this Summer has progressed, we've seen them actually enforcing this now across different state parks. So, if coming to Indiana State Parks, you just might want to drag along that old peddle pusher after all!

But, wherever you can use them without breaking any rules, enjoy! Have fun! and Congrats! Mechanized power so wonderful.... ah shucks! Who needs leg muscles after all!
Old 11-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #3
notanlines

I have often wondered where it will stop; electric scooters, hover boards, bicycles. All getting faster and faster. I'm going to say that since bicycles seem to taking on a new form of existence, one day soon the owners will pay road taxes and be licensed? Or I'll be able to ride the Harley on the bike paths? What? You don't think so?
Brian, no matter what, please post NO photos of you in your new Spandex cycle shorts!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I have often wondered where it will stop; electric scooters, hover boards, bicycles. All getting faster and faster. I'm going to say that since bicycles seem to taking on a new form of existence, one day soon the owners will pay road taxes and be licensed? Or I'll be able to ride the Harley on the bike paths? What? You don't think so?
Brian, no matter what, please post NO photos of you in your new Spandex cycle shorts!
i would never own a set of bike spandex…apparently there are a bunch of races happening everywhere every day of the week because i often see guys and gals with full blown unitards on with sponsorship logos…. seemingly in the middle of a race ….don’t usually see that in other hobby’s/ activities…i wonder if it’s a unspoken requirement when purchasing a road bike ?
Old 11-03-2022, 12:05 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Well, congrats on the new bikes! I hope you have a lot of fun with them! However, if you ever travel through Indiana and stay at an Indiana State Park or State Recreation area, you'll have to keep those bikes parked. They, along with every other battery operated transportation item used by kids and adults are now banned in the Indiana State Parks.

It started with the hover boards, and quickly included anything with a battery. I asked DNR why the EV bicycles and I was told there has been too much abuse with them. People speed with them and pedestrians and kids are put in danger as far too many have not yielded to the pedestrian. After a few people got hurt because of carelessness, the state administration decided to ban it all.

Golf carts have been banned for a long, long time. It just wasn't enforced. Now, it's being enforced. Only under some very strict exceptions can golf carts be used in the State Parks now ... and ONLY in the campground, no where else in the park.

And, as this Summer has progressed, we've seen them actually enforcing this now across different state parks. So, if coming to Indiana State Parks, you just might want to drag along that old peddle pusher after all!

But, wherever you can use them without breaking any rules, enjoy! Have fun! and Congrats! Mechanized power so wonderful.... ah shucks! Who needs leg muscles after all!
thanks! will keep that in mind although i don’t know how they can enforce against a class 1 or 2 electric bike if your just driving on the road on your way in or out of the park…your still pedaling ..it’s just pedal assist…and we have regular bikes but just want to expand our exploring area and be able to leave my aircraft carrier back at the campsite
Old 11-03-2022, 07:55 PM   #6
Jim2366

I am glad you didn't go all in on an electric truck. Nothing meant political. I like quick pit stops on a long trip. Sandwiches instead of a diner when logging miles.
Old 11-04-2022, 04:48 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Yes, e-bikes are going faster and faster, creating dangers for riders and pedestrians. We also see those getting e-bikes that really not capable of riding a bike.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 05:01 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Yes, e-bikes are going faster and faster, creating dangers for riders and pedestrians. We also see those getting e-bikes that really not capable of riding a bike.

i bet the newspapers in the early 1900’s had stories about “ those damn kids and their motorsickles!”… “who in tarnation needs to go 30 miles an hour anyway!”

“Damn fool daredevils!”
Old 11-04-2022, 05:02 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
I am glad you didn't go all in on an electric truck. Nothing meant political. I like quick pit stops on a long trip. Sandwiches instead of a diner when logging miles.
yep no electric truck for me in the future ( hopefully i have a choice)
Old 11-04-2022, 05:09 AM   #10
jasin1

i don’t plan on starting a motorcycle gang and causing mayhem and terror on the state park trails and campground roads …

my wife and i just want to be able to go a few miles from the campground to grab a bite to eat or get an ice cream without having to take my ginormous truck into the little towns we frequent…

yes i’m a particular person who likes my truck to look nice for many years to come…not easy finding parking spots unless your the type of person who either doesn’t care about scratches and dings or just lets insurance deal with it.

my 2012 ram 2500 brought top dollar for a trade in because it looked as good as new 8 years later

and yes i’m sure some of you have no problem finding parking spots but again i’m very particular

look people i’m just trying to find a way to get around the little towns without having to drive everywhere..i don’t have a toy hauler so my options are limited..we have beach cruisers and use them all the time but are just trying to get out a little farther
Old 11-04-2022, 06:37 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
look people i’m just trying to find a way to get around the little towns without having to drive everywhere...
Point taken! I understand that. No problem. The EV bikes are the new wave of the present future. Nothing wrong with that. Truly, I hope you enjoy them and they serve your purpose perfectly.

I suppose the intent of my post was to tip you off, it's always a good thing to check the local area you are at (if that be a state park, a private campground, or the down-town area of a city or town). Make sure the EV bike are accepted in the areas you plan to use them. They are becoming quite a controversial issue lately. Of course, new technology released on the public ... always is.
Old 11-04-2022, 06:40 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Point taken! I understand that. No problem. The EV bikes are the new wave of the present future. Nothing wrong with that. Truly, I hope you enjoy them and they serve your purpose perfectly.

I suppose the intent of my post was to tip you off, it's always a good thing to check the local area you are at (if that be a state park, a private campground, or the down-town area of a city or town). Make sure the EV bike are accepted in the areas you plan to use them. They are becoming quite a controversial issue lately. Of course, new technology released on the public ... always is.
i appreciate the heads up..i really wasn’t aware of any restrictions but will now check before assuming
Old 11-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #13
rhagfo

Quote:
i bet the newspapers in the early 1900’s had stories about “ those damn kids and their motorsickles!”… “who in tarnation needs to go 30 miles an hour anyway!”

“Damn fool daredevils!”
Don’t care if you do 30 on the street, doing 30 on a shared trail is a different story.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Don’t care if you do 30 on the street, doing 30 on a shared trail is a different story.
no intentions of driving like a maniac anywhere Russ
Old 11-13-2022, 09:34 AM   #15
jasin1

bikes are fantastic! truck has been parked for last two days at the campground. we mostly use pedal assist so still getting some exercise. put 31 miles on it so far…stores neatly in a husky 45 gallon wheeled tote inside the fifth wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A424418-C9D7-4314-8796-0D611D7F4783.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	42267  
Old 11-13-2022, 11:18 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
bikes are fantastic! truck has been parked for last two days at the campground. we mostly use pedal assist so still getting some exercise. put 31 miles on it so far…stores neatly in a husky 45 gallon wheeled tote inside the fifth wheel

Brian, here I've been on the fence about Ebikes. DW keeps hounding me wanting to ride all these pretty trails in FL and I keep telling her no...then you post this. Now I've got an order in for 2 of them with accessories. Have no idea how I'll carry them back to TX but guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. BTW for anyone considering ebikes; I've watched lots of reviews and read lots of stats on these things. This one appears to be a good buy and to top that off....just out of curiosity I called the number for Lectric on a Sunday afternoon to get some clarification on what I wanted. Alyssa? actually answered the phone (I'm assuming from AZ) and was very knowledgeable - I was so shocked I was almost speechless. She assured if there were any problems they would take care of whatever. THAT, in this day and time of zero service and 3rd world call centers, sold me on the spot. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 12:52 PM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brian, here I've been on the fence about Ebikes. DW keeps hounding me wanting to ride all these pretty trails in FL and I keep telling her no...then you post this. Now I've got an order in for 2 of them with accessories. Have no idea how I'll carry them back to TX but guess I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. BTW for anyone considering ebikes; I've watched lots of reviews and read lots of stats on these things. This one appears to be a good buy and to top that off....just out of curiosity I called the number for Lectric on a Sunday afternoon to get some clarification on what I wanted. Alyssa? actually answered the phone (I'm assuming from AZ) and was very knowledgeable - I was so shocked I was almost speechless. She assured if there were any problems they would take care of whatever. THAT, in this day and time of zero service and 3rd world call centers, sold me on the spot. JMO

i think you will be very happy with your purchase!…the 45 gallon husky tote at home depot or the 50 gallon craftsmen from lowes both work for transportation…the 50 gallon is a little wider.

i have the 45 gallon and it’s a little tight but works…one bike sits on a rug in between my tv and my recliners in that wasted space when the slides are closed.
the other fits between the end of island and the coffee bar when you walk in the door..fits perfect…i put each on a carpet and i have 2 plastic poster boards that are 30”x36” i got at home depot that i put on each side of the tote to protect the chairs and cabinets if they shift during travel…they didn’t move an inch though.

so far it’s one of the best purchases i’ve made in quite a while…get your self a good lock like the kryptonite New York fahgettaboudit 1415 chain and disk lock

they would both fit on my bike rack but i’d rather keep them inside during travel
Old 11-14-2022, 01:32 PM   #18
Steve/

lectric bikes, I have one and have 200 miles on it, I have a buddy with one and he has 3000 miles on his, they are good bikes.

Electric bicycle (e-bike) laws are different in every state, and can be confusing for riders, retailers, and suppliers.
You can check out the state laws on this web site

https://www.peopleforbikes.org/elect...kes/state-laws
Old 11-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #19
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Danny this is how they store inside…the cover i got was This brand ..size xxl….stationary version will work for outside storage protection but you should get the travel version( not in stock right now) if you put it on a bike rack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0C8468E8-CFDE-4F62-84D0-6A550576112F.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	42289   Click image for larger version

Name:	7161FA81-1356-44CE-9207-0563F5484E61.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	42290   Click image for larger version

Name:	17F2C122-36A4-4DA6-B302-1697A583D9E0.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	42291   Click image for larger version

Name:	DADC2E2F-D184-49D3-90AF-A4918252FAF6.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	42292   Click image for larger version

Name:	555FBFFC-F405-4F5E-A7EF-CBD45EE8247E.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	42293  

Name:	78BAF0BC-A43F-44BA-B19B-7CB6FBBD9D83.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	429.0 KB
ID:	42294  
Old 11-14-2022, 02:13 PM   #20
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve/ View Post
lectric bikes,
Electric bicycle (e-bike) laws are different in every state, and can be confusing for riders, retailers, and suppliers.
You can check out the state laws on this web site

https://www.peopleforbikes.org/elect...kes/state-laws
I don't know how accurate this site is for other states but it's only kinda right for NY.
If you have an ebike with a throttle and it's not an assist type, that is you don't have to peddle to go, and it's faster than 20 MPH (or 23 MPH depending on who you ask) it's a motorcycle and you must register it and have a MC endorsement on your license.
However, in the real world currently it's all rather murky and randomly enforced.

Missouri charges a road tax on EV's and it's going up.
https://showmeinstitute.org/blog/tra...s-coming-soon/
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote