Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2022, 07:54 AM   #1
Chip0105

Adding an Additional 120v Electrical Outlet to Fuse Box/Inverter

We have a 2018 Keystone Passport 2920BH and was looking to have an additional 120v outlet added just outside of where out fuse box/inverter is located. I have attached a picture to show where the new outlet might be placed. Does anyone know if there are any open spaces to add an additional breaker to the box?
Chip0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:27 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip0105 View Post
We have a 2018 Keystone Passport 2920BH and was looking to have an additional 120v outlet added just outside of where out fuse box/inverter is located. I have attached a picture to show where the new outlet might be placed. Does anyone know if there are any open spaces to add an additional breaker to the box?
First question is why do you need another outlet?
BTW, no pictures.
Secondly opening the the breaker box & check for open circuits would be the best & easiest option. From experience I'm fairly certain there are no 2 rvs, even of the same make & model, wired the same, yours is likely different from anyone elses so looking is the only way to know for sure on yours.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
Chip0105

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
First question is why do you need another outlet?
BTW, no pictures.
Secondly opening the the breaker box & check for open circuits would be the best & easiest option. From experience I'm fairly certain there are no 2 rvs, even of the same make & model, wired the same, yours is likely different from anyone elses so looking is the only way to know for sure on yours.

Sorry about no picture. I loaded one but it must not have been accepted. Perhaps too large? The reason for the additional outlet is because our camper does not have any outlets around the slide out so we are running an extension cord from the back bunk area up to the dining room table area so we can plug things in; laptops, monitors, phones, etc...

The attached picture shows where we want to install the extra outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Outlet Placement.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	188.7 KB
ID:	42146  
Old 10-27-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

First off welcome to the forum

If you look at the breaker panel are there any plastic rectangles that can be removed and replaced with a breaker? If so remove the cover plate to identify the proper style of breaker. Then it’s just a matter of using the proper gauge Romex, and breaker. Be aware of how many amps you have to work with and what your expected load will be. In my experience RV’s use minimum rated Romex.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
Chip0105

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
First off welcome to the forum

If you look at the breaker panel are there any plastic rectangles that can be removed and replaced with a breaker? If so remove the cover plate to identify the proper style of breaker. Then it’s just a matter of using the proper gauge Romex, and breaker. Be aware of how many amps you have to work with and what your expected load will be. In my experience RV’s use minimum rated Romex.
Thanks for the information. I will take a closer look and see what is behind the "curtain". We rarely have things plugged into outlets in our camper other than 2 TVs of which only 1 is ever on at any given time. We have been streaming from my iPad Pro directly through an HDMI cable to the 32" Emerson RV TV in our bedroom instead of using a Blu-Ray player. My wife also uses a hair dryer in the bathroom so we cut the AC when she wants to use that and it gets disconnected afterwards. The microwave we run separate from the AC as well. Otherwise, we really don't have anything electrical plugged into any outlets.
Old 10-27-2022, 04:55 PM   #6
Gkri

Quote:
Thanks for the information. I will take a closer look and see what is behind the "curtain". We rarely have things plugged into outlets in our camper other than 2 TVs of which only 1 is ever on at any given time. We have been streaming from my iPad Pro directly through an HDMI cable to the 32" Emerson RV TV in our bedroom instead of using a Blu-Ray player. My wife also uses a hair dryer in the bathroom so we cut the AC when she wants to use that and it gets disconnected afterwards. The microwave we run separate from the AC as well. Otherwise, we really don't have anything electrical plugged into any outlets.
if no blank spaces, you can get a double breaker (not a duplex 240 VAC but (2) 120 VAC beakers in one module). We added a double breaker to the 20 Amp circuit for the microwave (12 gauge wire) to use a space heater. Added a short run of 12 gauge wire and a 20 amp receptacle. If within 6 feet of a water source, you should use a GFCI outlet.
2022 Sierra 2500 HD, 6.6L Gasser
Gkri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 06:11 PM   #7
Chip0105

Thank you for the information. I will see what I can find when I open up the breaker box.
Old 10-28-2022, 09:07 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Just something to consider: Where you indicated you want to install an outlet (in the red circle) would mean that you increase the risk of damage to the electrical system "if" you happen to leave something plugged into the outlet and close the slide. I know we all say, "But I'm not that irresponsible and I always check"... I'd counter by saying, "Yes, and even the most cautious of us has, on occasion, crushed a cabinet door or caught a throw rug under the slide"...

So, it might be more advantageous to install that outlet "in the open space under the power center so there's no potential for the slide to catch any wiring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 09:56 AM   #9
Chip0105

Thanks everyone for their kind suggestions and recommendations. I will see what space there is around the fuse box and place my outlet in an accessible
and safe location. I will also look at gang breakers if I do not have any blank slots for an additional breaker.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:28 PM   #10
B-O-B'03

I added a couple of outlets in our trailer, easy peasy and I did not add another breaker, but I think there was an open slot.

One is by the breaker panel, where you want to add and the other is in the kitchen cabinet

I used outlets that also have USB power ports on them, for a double win.

The kitchen outlet was added to the circuit that has the fridge on it and comes from the GFIC outlet in the bath the other outlet was added to the circuit that has the bedroom outlets on it.

As long as you don't have a bunch of high draw items plugged in to multiple outlets a new circuit should not be necessary.

-Brian
Old 10-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Here in Texas turning off the A/C is a pain in order to use the microwave. I also have a 30A service. I noted where the hot wire (black) connected to the breaker and neutral buss (white) and replaced these with a piece of Romex that goes to a separate Marinco waterproof receptacle on the back of my camper. I connected the Romex ground wire to the ground buss in the power center. When we camp I connect an extension cord to the 15/20A outlet on the pedestal. We can now run microwave and A/C and not trip the main breaker.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:41 AM   #12
Chip0105

Brian,

I was thinking of adding an outlet by the sink just like you did. Where did you find or tap into an existing electrical source? The only one I found was under a cabinet above the sink. This would have required me to run romex down the outside of the wall to the counter top and then cover with raceway. I'd be interested in hearing more about how you ran that outlet.
Old 12-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Brian,

I was thinking of adding an outlet by the sink just like you did. Where did you find or tap into an existing electrical source? The only one I found was under a cabinet above the sink. This would have required me to run romex down the outside of the wall to the counter top and then cover with raceway. I'd be interested in hearing more about how you ran that outlet.
Howdy Chip,

Sorry I missed this.

I tapped into the outside wall outlet which is on the kitchen wall, under the fridge compartment and connected to the bathroom GFIC outlet. The fridge is on the same circuit.

I think I could have added it to the water heater too, since it is in the same area on my trailer.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

-Brian

Tags
electrical, fuse, inverter