Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2022, 08:20 PM   #1
travelin texans

Talking Signatures?

Supposedly the forum has a new rule that a signature stating your make, year & model of your rv is required?
Yet there's lots of new names showing up every day posting questions as well as a couple that have been posting for quite some time that have not yet added a signature.
So is it required or just highly recommended or do we just keep asking to add it in order to get pertinent answers to the questions?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 03:51 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It is required:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...412#post517412

I do see lots of posts in threads reminding new members of this rule. To my knowledge there isn’t any “penalty” for not creating a signature…yet.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 05:28 AM   #3
ljdriscoll

it takes up to 5 posts before they show up. This was discussed earlier this year

2014 Cougar 33RES
2020 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 V8
ljdriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 06:35 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdriscoll View Post
it takes up to 5 posts before they show up. This was discussed earlier this year
I believe that applies to pictures.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-18-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
dutchmensport

I don't know! All my life I tried to raise awareness of things that weren't right in this world. Some folks just don't want to listen. Now that I'm retired, I just quit worrying about some thing and let someone else deal with it.

If a poster does not include enough information in the question, all we can do is ask for more clarification. That includes the signature. If they don't provide it, well .... we simply cannot answer their question.

I like the responses I've read that go something like.... If you add your signature block with your year, make, and model of RV and your tow vehicle, it will help us to better answer your question.

If they don't provide the information, we simply don't have enough information, we can't answer. We're not being snobs, we just can't answer. Let it go! Let it go! Let it go! If you are retired ... especially! Let it go!

Let the moderators deal with it.
Old 10-18-2022, 08:58 PM   #6
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljdriscoll View Post
It takes five post before your "About Me" shows up in your profile.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:21 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Supposedly the forum has a new rule that a signature stating your make, year & model of your rv is required?
Yet there's lots of new names showing up every day posting questions as well as a couple that have been posting for quite some time that have not yet added a signature.
So is it required or just highly recommended or do we just keep asking to add it in order to get pertinent answers to the questions?

The forum doesn't "supposedly" have a new rule, it does in fact have a new rule for signatures. To refresh:

Signature Standards

Signatures must be setup in your profile rather than manually added to your messages. They will appear at the bottom of every post you make.
Signatures may not include email addresses, links to competing websites, prompts to contact or a sales pitch.
Signatures must follow our forums posting standards and only one line may be bolded.

Please note the 2nd word in the notice, "must". That is not a recommendation. People join the forum every day and do so simply to either get help or learn something they need or want to know. Most, if not all, bypass trying to find or read the forum rules because they don't know they exist. Since this is a new rule that even some of our long-time members were unaware of a period of leniency is warranted. The length of that period has not been determined but it WILL end when it is felt an appropriate length of time has passed. At that time members not complying will receive a warning via PM as with any other infraction. In the interim those that have complied and request others to do so to no avail...don't fret - things will happen in due course.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 07:53 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
It takes five post before your "About Me" shows up in your profile.
But who's going to go to that "about me" with every question to find what rv their asking about.
If it's put in their signature it shows up with every post.
Danny is there not some way to add to the registration that requires a signature before proceeding with the registration?
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-19-2022, 08:11 AM   #9
wiredgeorge

Think it should also be mandatory to put a two letter state designation under the join date/location where the person would put their state next to their city/town, etc. I think it would add context when someone asks about winterization or routes, etc. There are some of us who are geography challenged and when someone puts only a town name they may be unaware that Texas has one of those towns in all likelihood. I think there must be a law in Texas that a town can only choose a name if it is in use in some other state.

Go to GOOGLE and type in "New York Texas", "Boston Texas" or "Los Angles Texas".... all are small unincorporated towns in TEXAS.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
But who's going to go to that "about me" with every question to find what rv their asking about.
Danny is there not some way to add to the registration that requires a signature before proceeding with the registration?

The owners of the website set up the parameters for this and their other sister sites which are pretty much like this one. We can take the suggestion and see can be improved.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #11
travelin texans

After hijacking the "weird tire wear" for too long, SORRY, I'll post it where it should've been.
BSmith, I'm no computer wiz so I have no idea why it may happening, I know nothing of what happens or why out there in the cyber world.
I use an Andoid phone & by pressing the 3 dots in the upper right corner go to "desktop site" version of the forum which is the same as the "full site" version at the bottom of the page. I've also looked through the regular version just as it opens & in none of the versions does your signature appear other than post #14 in that "weird tire wear" thread.
Don't know if this is a forum issue or somehow on your end, just a heads up to all that may not have a signature appear.
If a signature is a requirement then the forum administrators may want to check into this if it seems an issue.
Replacement undetermined
Old 10-22-2022, 03:40 AM   #12
jasin1

i think some people are just unaware of the whole signature controversy and move about this website on a as needed basis..others may just be resisting in a passive aggressive way because it seems like we have had ( especially in the last few years) to follow many many new rules and regulations..

everyone should just provide a signature but some things are easier said then done.

maybe someone could volunteer to be the new “signature liaison” and send Pms to the offending members and walk them thru the process without publicly calling them out…that person could wade thru the endless posts and tackle this problem with a friendly suggestion and explanation of how to post a signature

if that doesn’t work they can flood their mailbox with hundreds of PMs until they capitulate
Old 10-22-2022, 05:06 AM   #13
rhagfo

I have mixed feelings about the REQUIREMENT that all users have a signature. While I agree that it is a great help when questions are asked, much of the information is available in the "About Me" tab in user profile after 5 post.
My concern is that the members of the "Weight Police" will use it to slam someone towing over their Payload or GVWR.
While the sticker payload and GVWR difference between a 250/2500 and 350/3500 can be as much as 2,400#, many will state not that much physical difference between the two.

I see the bigger issue with sticker payload and GVWR, is the legal one of being sued for towing over the weight the manufacture stated the TV could "Safely" tow.

I was in that situation myself, I was less concerned of the trucks ablity, than being involved in a crash, and being sued as I was 1,700# over GVWR.

While I have mentioned weights in post, when I do it is from the legal side of being sued, except in the case of a very heavy 5er, on a SRW TV.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:07 AM   #14
bruceflinch

Just noticed on quick replies, you can opt out of the Signature.
Old 10-22-2022, 07:23 AM   #15
notanlines

It would seem that Bruce has thickened the pot, so to speak!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 07:32 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
It would seem that Bruce has thickened the pot, so to speak!
Im not so sure of that, but now that members are becoming aware of the new rule, it does give another option to those who decide not to use the "full Site" feature, it DOES NOT allow the poster to decide he/she doesnt like the way it looks and therefore decides the rule doesnt apply to them and continue to ignore the rule. once again we didnt make the rules the site OWNERS did.

Old 10-22-2022, 07:33 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Let's just cut to the chase;

The forum rules are specific. They are placed there by the owners of the forum...which isn't the site team. They are there to be followed. Like most things in this world there are ways around them. "Getting around them" then leaves that member in violation of the site rules. Driving requires a license, voting requires an ID card etc. Those, like other things, require specific actions on a person's part. Same with the forum. It is the responsibility of the member to comply whether it's using the proper format on a smartphone or filling out the signature section. It's not an option. A violation will result in a PM. Failures to comply will result in further action.

As far as legalities and the weight police I see no legal implications. You have what you have and when an accident happens you will have what you have....the forum will play no part. The "weight police" try to keep folks safe. If the signature is not there they ask. If it is there someone may comment on an obvious mismatched rig which IMO they should. Beyond that it's up to the owner to either listen and act or disregard. The information in the signature has far more benefits than any possible negative facet. We have all sent countless responses asking for information about a rig just so we can answer a question the owner posed.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:39 AM   #18
rhagfo

Quote:
That is the first place I look if the information is not in the post. It isn’t hard tap user name go to profile and about me tab. Once you see the information simply press the back button.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:36 AM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Let's just cut to the chase;

The forum rules are specific. They are placed there by the owners of the forum...which isn't the site team. They are there to be followed. Like most things in this world there are ways around them. "Getting around them" then leaves that member in violation of the site rules. Driving requires a license, voting requires an ID card etc. Those, like other things, require specific actions on a person's part. Same with the forum. It is the responsibility of the member to comply whether it's using the proper format on a smartphone or filling out the signature section. It's not an option. A violation will result in a PM. Failures to comply will result in further action.

As far as legalities and the weight police I see no legal implications. You have what you have and when an accident happens you will have what you have....the forum will play no part. The "weight police" try to keep folks safe. If the signature is not there they ask. If it is there someone may comment on an obvious mismatched rig which IMO they should. Beyond that it's up to the owner to either listen and act or disregard. The information in the signature has far more benefits than any possible negative facet. We have all sent countless responses asking for information about a rig just so we can answer a question the owner posed.
Will the “owners” of the forum may have may have made the change, but I am sure it was at the urging of members of the sight team.

I don’t see the need for requiring a signature, I don’t know of any other forum that requires a signature.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Will the “owners” of the forum may have may have made the change, but I am sure it was at the urging of members of the sight team.

I don’t see the need for requiring a signature, I don’t know of any other forum that requires a signature.
Methinks you speak of something you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about !!!!!

Since it's purely "field fodder" on your part, please stop speculating on something that is not only false, but also spreading lies about other members of the forum.

There are 27 "sight teams" <actually site teams> in the RV Life organization. So, what happens with one "sight team" is less than 4% of the "site team input" for the organization. I can't speak for the confidential discussions of the other 26 site teams, but I can assure you that the site team for THIS forum has not made any recommendation one way or the other. In fact, THIS forum site team has not even discussed such a recommendation with our liasion to the RV Life ownership....

Specifically, please quite slinging "BS speculations around the forum".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote