Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2022, 07:07 AM   #1
wegone

Solar?

My new rig is solar ready, but I have never used it, nor do I think I will at this point in time.

Just a general question, is it worth having as a backup now, or should I wait until I can really utilize it?

I'm thinking the technology is quickly changing, so why buy something, leave it in a box, only to use it when its outdated?

Appreciate any sharing on how you guys use it now and what value it brings to your RV'ing.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #2
travelin texans

If it were me & as fast as the technology is advancing I'd wait til ready to install it & use it. In a few years you'll likely find a solar panel the size of a quarter to run your entire house & rv??? Oh yea & charge your mandatory EV in the driveway!
Also like most technology it'll probably get cheaper as it advances also. Look at flat screen tvs, the 1st one I saw was over $10k, now you can buy them for less than $200 depending on size.
I'd wait! Just my .02!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
My new rig is solar ready, but I have never used it, nor do I think I will at this point in time.

Just a general question, is it worth having as a backup now, or should I wait until I can really utilize it?

I'm thinking the technology is quickly changing, so why buy something, leave it in a box, only to use it when its outdated?

Appreciate any sharing on how you guys use it now and what value it brings to your RV'ing.
I bought a Renogy 100w suitcase panel two years ago and have yet to be able to use it. It sits under the bed. Tried to use it at a state park this weekend that didn’t have any electricity but it had too many trees to get any usable sunlight
Old 10-17-2022, 08:15 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

To me that's like buying a new pair of shoes and keeping them in a box "in case I decide to use them or maybe need them, sometime in the future". It's your money so spend it as you wish.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
To me that's like buying a new pair of shoes and keeping them in a box "in case I decide to use them or maybe need them, sometime in the future". It's your money so spend it as you wish.
It use to be my money, seems the gubbermint has other plans for it now

Thanks all.... I concur.
Old 10-17-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
GHen

Solar was the very best modification I have made. Big benefits when using the rv and even more when I’m not. I do Boondock about half the time.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:17 PM   #7
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
Solar was the very best modification I have made. Big benefits when using the rv and even more when I’m not. I do Boondock about half the time.
How so?

Would appreciate some more explanation, thanks.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:21 PM   #8
Eggs Benedict

Thumbs up So happy I went solar

I just assembled a solar system for my little Passport. I have been wanting to put together a system for my house as backup power, so this was a good test project. I use my trailer as job site housing every fall for 2 months. This year, when I went to book my spot, I was told all the electric sites were sold out. I took that as my cue to finally get a solar system going. I had already bought a Bluetti AC200P for home backup, and it contains the charge controller, inverters, and 200ah LifePO battery. A great investment. I ordered flexible panels on ebay. Bought 4GA wire and ordered MC4 connectors. Field-tested the setup on the ground. Installed panels on trailer roof using plastic lattice as a spacer to keep them from directly contacting the hot roof. Ran wire from the roof down the fridge vent and from there, into the electric cord storage compartment, and upward into the pantry. The bottom shelf of the pantry EXACTLY fits the Bluetti. I made a cable to plug the normal 30A input cord for the trailer into the Bluetti. I can only use about 15 amps, but it's sufficient for basic needs - even running the AC briefly to cool the trailer down when I get off work. It has been a great investment and a huge relief not to have to worry about securing an electric site. The first night I set up, there was a county-wide power outage - but I was comfortably sitting inside reading a book and having a cold beverage. Can't recommend more highly!
Old 10-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #9
Max23

I'm curious as to how it will work for me. My passport came with the 400i and lithium batteries. I seriously can't see ever needing the solar. The lithiums should last for days, I'll never boondocks for more than two, at least that's the plan, plans change, who knows but down the road the batteries charge, plugged in the batteries charge, at this point I'm curious as to if it's just a selling point or dare I say, gimmick. Hard to tell what the future holds though.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 05:03 PM   #10
GHen

Quote:
How so?

Would appreciate some more explanation, thanks.

300w of solar, 4 6v GC2 batteries and a 3000w inverter.

Keeps charging my batteries all the time, parked, driving, sunny and even on partial cloudy days. Powers our daily use of the coffee maker, microwave, satellite/tv. Even the A/C for a couple hours, but that’s not a good use of the limited power.

We regularly boondock up to 7 days and seldom need a generator. Even in the trees we can boondock for 4-5 days before needing the generator. Only quit to replenish water and dump tanks.

Only time I disconnect the batteries when storing is when I know we are getting snow.

400watts of solar would probably be perfect for our usage.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:03 AM   #11
Skillet173

As far as panel attachment to roof, will keystone provide measurements as to where solid beams may be or will I waste time inquiring?

Got tired of "fighting stupid" (LEO) after 27 years and retired.
Active MX rider/racer, parent, sponsor, mechanic, transporter, and race fan for my son.
Skillet173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:26 AM   #12
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet173 View Post
As far as panel attachment to roof, will keystone provide measurements as to where solid beams may be or will I waste time inquiring?
My experience is its a waste of time. I could almost figure it out by the visual seaming under the roofing material.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:49 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

^^^ what he said...

Keystone does not share (or release) any structural drawings, schematics, electrical wiring diagrams or plumbing diagrams to the general public. Talking with my dealership, they can't even get them, which has led them to "way too many" issues trying to troubleshoot the way Keystone installs the In-Command system, the Leveling systems, the Key-TV system, and many other "systems in the trailer".

If the dealers can't get the information, you can pretty much bet that owners and the general public fall much further behind in the line for getting that info.

Just crawl on the roof, where the rafters are located will be readily apparent from the lines you see going side to side under the TPO membrane.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 08:11 AM   #14
wegone

Well it seems some are very much in the know of solar, thanks.

I am in no way an expert on batteries; however, I was one of the folks charged with modifying the Boeing 787 Dreamliner to a safer configuration of battery fire containment.
Understand we did nothing to the batteries themselves that were provided by a sub-contractor, those batteries are still the same as the ones that caught fire.

It seems cell contamination was culprit, but I do know as fact batteries of any kind cannot be shipped in the cargo deck of aircraft because they have caused aircraft to crash after a fire started in the cargo bay.

Again, let me say I am no expert, far from it, but as in a computer chip te more powerful these electronics get the hotter they become and harder to cool and control.

I'd hate to see mountains of spent batteries with no way to get rid of the dangers they might pose.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:45 PM   #15
rlh1957

Unless you do more than a day or two off grid, without shore power or without using a generator you don’t need to install solar.

If you’re away from power hookups for more than a few days and want to run interior lights, use fan, use refrigerator on DC instead of gas and keep battery recharged would be reason to upgrade on solar panels, batteries and an dc to ac inverter for 110v AC.

If you’re going to be going back to s shore power or power source in a few days to recharge batteries you’d be find.

Keep in mind with solar panels on your roof camping in a cooler shady site defeats the purpose of solar charging.

We love ours, but we camp for days away from power outlets.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:51 AM   #16
seanrmz

I just buttoned up my solar upgrade on my 30Rls. It did come solar prepped with inverter
( that was not even plugged) go figure.. lol just kidding. I am newish to rv life been camping on and off for years, and had a 38ft rv back some 15 years ago. I just bought this rv and the solar prepped didnt make sense to me with its 12v acid 100ah battery. first it was always dead or low on voltage and had to plug a charger to it every now and then. I didnt feel at ease with it. I am a hands on kinda guy and I wanted to bief up the system. No I not a dry camp king and want to sell my home to go off grid, but I wanted a system that I could boondocks a few days if wanted, I wanted to be able to travel and sleep over night in rest areas with out any problems taking off the next morning. I want my system to charge up when shore hook up, generator, and when hauling.
In the solar world changes well it comes down to the same principal.. but now you have the new age Bluetooth connectivity to give more statistics and remote viewing. But the principal purpose stays the same.

I went with 1x 200ah heated lithium battery ( canadien guy here), with an inverter - charger 2000w.
SO my battery will charge fast with shore power or my 2000w small generator.
I also installed a dc to dc 30amp charger that gets its power from the trucks battery when traveling. To help that out I added a 200w solar panel to the existing one that came with the rv.

So now I have the leisure to dry camps a few days, no head aches when traveling and over neighing some where, and I to upgrade if I really want to go off grid for few weeks.

my setup in the front bay area.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Q0blNuVWxiTDJB
Old 11-21-2022, 08:59 AM   #17
wegone

That looks sweet, nice and clean.
Will you use that area for any storage as well?

I admit all you jargon is greek to me, so let me ask a question that I might be able to grasp the answer.

If I was to take one of my 22k watt inverter generators with me camping, would it give me the same results if I plugged my trailer into for a few hours, as needed to "charge" my system to dry camp?

Thanks for you great post!
Old 11-22-2022, 06:36 AM   #18
seanrmz

Quote:
That looks sweet, nice and clean.
Will you use that area for any storage as well?

I admit all you jargon is greek to me, so let me ask a question that I might be able to grasp the answer.

If I was to take one of my 22k watt inverter generators with me camping, would it give me the same results if I plugged my trailer into for a few hours, as needed to "charge" my system to dry camp?

Thanks for you great post!
Thanks my friend, yes you can ask away I love new systems and the solar systems swept me off my feet.

Yes a 2k generator can be used to charge up the battery or batteries, but with the onboard converter it sends out a small average voltage. It will charge the battery up but over some time. I deleted mine and my inverter can charge my battery bank up way fast.. giving 60amps to the batteries so my bank can charge up in 4hours.

I do have a small gen incase we get a few days of clouds or rain so its my back up when dry camping

sean

Tags
solar