Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2022, 12:23 PM   #1
wegone

I only take what I need.....

NO WAY am I over-weight.

So, I started de-packing the Bullet trailer, to be ready to swap over.

I started in my wife's domain, kitchen.

Those BIG selling point cabinets and storage abilities made her eyes light up to the possibilities, of what, I'll guess a whole new kitchen full of stuff like in the house I never see in use, looks like on wheels.

I found stuff that still had the original packaging, waffle makers, poached egg poachers, never seen so many types of pasta shells and oils in my life, and of course the mini donut maker, grilled sandwich press/maker, and the much-needed fondue set that saved our azzes when we were stuck on the interstate in a blizzard for days, no fuel, couldn't move, propane all gone, batteries dead, but that little sterno flame fed and heated us for days....or sumtin like that

Those smores fixings I found stuffed way back in there looked more like "weres" with that gray chocolate and marshmallows that would kill Goliath if slung.....

The graham crackers as limp as..... we'll leave that one right there

Carrying all that stuff away I was aghast at how much off I was in guessing the payload by just looking at it, not even close.

A small box of canned goods marked 1942 K-ration alone almost doubled the weight that my legs normally carry around, while walking.... almost.

I have a good mind (subjective) to go give her a piece of it....

BUT, I think I will wait until after I unload the front cargo area, just so I have an example of how you should pack a travel trailer with ONLY the necessities like the pioneers did coming west.....

And maybe too, I might find my collection of pet rocks and Timothy Leary library collection

Gee, instead of getting mad at my axles, maybe I should have felt sorry for them
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 12:42 PM   #2
dutchmensport

Yep, you REALLY do not realize how much you've accumulated in your camper until you trade for a new one. Place in the new one, only essential items... just what you need for the next trip out. Nothing more.

Well, then... when you are out and about ... you've got room to fill it up with NEW stuff! ... Hey! It happens! 5 times for us now! When you go camping the next time, take one of those items you no longer use and give it to someone else at the campground. THAT's how you get rid of everything (eventually).
Old 09-02-2022, 12:45 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
NO WAY am I over-weight.

So, I started de-packing the Bullet trailer, to be ready to swap over.

I started in my wife's domain, kitchen.

Those BIG selling point cabinets and storage abilities made her eyes light up to the possibilities, of what, I'll guess a whole new kitchen full of stuff like in the house I never see in use, looks like on wheels.

I found stuff that still had the original packaging, waffle makers, poached egg poachers, never seen so many types of pasta shells and oils in my life, and of course the mini donut maker, grilled sandwich press/maker, and the much-needed fondue set that saved our azzes when we were stuck on the interstate in a blizzard for days, no fuel, couldn't move, propane all gone, batteries dead, but that little sterno flame fed and heated us for days....or sumtin like that

Those smores fixings I found stuffed way back in there looked more like "weres" with that gray chocolate and marshmallows that would kill Goliath if slung.....

The graham crackers as limp as..... we'll leave that one right there

Carrying all that stuff away I was aghast at how much off I was in guessing the payload by just looking at it, not even close.

A small box of canned goods marked 1942 K-ration alone almost doubled the weight that my legs normally carry around, while walking.... almost.

I have a good mind (subjective) to go give her a piece of it....

BUT, I think I will wait until after I unload the front cargo area, just so I have an example of how you should pack a travel trailer with ONLY the necessities like the pioneers did coming west.....

And maybe too, I might find my collection of pet rocks and Timothy Leary library collection

Gee, instead of getting mad at my axles, maybe I should have felt sorry for them
Heraldo heard about this and asked that you please cease and disist until he arrives. He thinks there's hope yet to find Hoffa and Al Capone's safe to vindicate his past errors.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Yep, you REALLY do not realize how much you've accumulated in your camper until you trade for a new one. Place in the new one, only essential items... just what you need for the next trip out. Nothing more.

Well, then... when you are out and about ... you've got room to fill it up with NEW stuff! ... Hey! It happens! 5 times for us now! When you go camping the next time, take one of those items you no longer use and give it to someone else at the campground. THAT's how you get rid of everything (eventually).
OK, I'll take your advice, but I think it would be wise of me to let her use her new trailer a few times before I give her away.....
Old 09-02-2022, 01:05 PM   #5
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Heraldo heard about this and asked that you please cease and disist until he arrives. He thinks there's hope yet to find Hoffa and Al Capone's safe to vindicate his past errors.
I think even more shocking would be to find the TRUTH coming out of Washinton DC
Old 09-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

I think a wise man would forgo mentioning things his better half accumulates. Raising these issues can get back to she who rules the kitchen and prepares your chow.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
Canonman

I DO NOT, would not nor will not tell the DW she has too much stuff in the kitchen cupboards. We really love how much storage our Cougar has. Big pantry, lots of drawers, plenty of cupboards. And, they are ALL FULL! But any mention of lightening the load and the dagger in the heart looks start flying with vicious intent.
So, went to the scales on the way to Grand Teton. Fully loaded for a weeks worth of dry camping. I thought sure I was going to be able to prove decisively, that we needed to clean out the "Kroger Annex" of unnecessary crap.
NOPE! I had a payload number 200# below the 2160# limit. I'm guessing since we have a rear kitchen the overload there offsets the total tongue weight
I went to warm up some wings in the oven and discovered that's where she stores the "extra" pots.pans and cookie sheets. Good thing the water pump and other utilities are housed behind false fronts secured with screws or they'd be full of "extra" stuff as well. At least I think they're empty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL9139.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	41463  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:20 PM   #8
bsmith0404

One thing that we’ve learned to do over time, is not to accumulate too much “stuff”. Everything has a space and we go through the RV before each trip and question if it needs to be there. We’ve agreed that if we’ve gone 3 times and haven’t used and item, it comes out (unless it an emergency use item like the safety triangles). It’s only about a 10 min task to check over every thing. Really helps stay organized as well.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #9
notanlines

Eddie, if you’re packing the kitchen then it’s only fair that Momma packs the basement/pass-through. Maybe best if you left her kitchen alone!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:14 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

We both cook, I about 80%. I love to cook outdoors or in but in the RV it's primarily outdoors which brings a whole nuther bunch of stuff. I carry a smoker, bbq grill (gas) and Blackstone. To compound that, I have no patience so when I ask (no memory either) where that "abc/xyz" is and DW says I don't know I go buy one. 3 pressure cookers, 2 instant pots, 3 tool boxes...you get the idea. I also end up with a pantry totally full before we head home. It's that way with everything.

Thankfully we have got a system now to divest ourselves of surplus stuff before we leave usually. We also go through everything between trips and the Good Will store loves us (got a big box ready to go now). I think the message is yes, you do accumulate and yes you can be overweight very easily. So many new folks say "there's no way"....oh yes there is. And, if you stay any length of time anywhere the number, and weight, of those "things" grow. Thank goodness I didn't buy those 2 Ebikes or throw in the Tony Little exercise equipment!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 05:15 PM   #11
wegone

I went to warm up some wings in the oven and discovered that's where she stores the "extra" pots.pans and cookie sheets. Good thing the water pump and other utilities are housed behind false fronts secured with screws or they'd be full of "extra" stuff as well. At least I think they're empty

That is so TRUE.....

I looked at those false fronts and thought of wasted space and ALMOST suggested one of the more stupid ideas I had in my life.....

edit, GREAT picture!
Old 09-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #12
Canonman

Quote:

That is so TRUE.....

I looked at those false fronts and thought of wasted space and ALMOST suggested one of the more stupid ideas I had in my life.....

edit, GREAT picture!
And let's not forget that every flat surface HAS to be used for some useless clutter or other
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL0064-Pano.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	41465  
Old 09-02-2022, 05:58 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

I am assuming your DWs don't read these posts. I'm celebrating 55 but if DW saw something like that from me I would be out in the shed under a pecan tree without light....or water....blanket....not even a dog bowl. Be careful guys!
Old 09-02-2022, 06:02 PM   #14
German Shepherd Guy

Ahh the accumulation of "stuff". A never ending experience.

I have a solution. A "pay backs are hell" kind of a thing.

I am leaving everything to my son and let him sort it out.

I will surely be able to hear him from the grave as he loudly proclaims to my beautiful DIL, "These guys were nothing but hoarders!"

Oh how we accumulate "stuff".

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 06:54 PM   #15
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I am assuming your DWs don't read these posts. I'm celebrating 55 but if DW saw something like that from me I would be out in the shed under a pecan tree without light....or water....blanket....not even a dog bowl. Be careful guys!
Thanks for the warning, but around our campfire everyone and everything is "Fair Game". You should hear what she has to say about my personal habits.
But I forgive her because to error is human but to forgive is Divine
Old 09-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #16
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I found LOTS of aprons too, send me your address in a PM, she won't miss it
Old 09-03-2022, 04:45 AM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

And here I thought I was the only one. My DW likes to "Booby trap" the fridge and cupboards at home. Open a door and crap falls out. I told her years ago if it didn't stop she wold have to retrieve everything as I can't stand crap falling on me. That helped but it's a daily struggle. Can't say I'm much better, I'm ashamed of how the garage looks.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 05:50 AM   #18
dutchmensport

You guys are so funny, but so true. It's another Mars vs Venus syndrome for sure (if you remember that book from the 1970's).

We were camped for an entire month as camp host at a North Carolina State Park for the entire month of August 2022. We normally do not sit in one spot that long. Our normal limit is 2 weeks, often shorter than that. So, parked in one spot was nice, but oh how troubling.

It didn't take long for every shelf, every flat surface, every spot on the floor to be covered with "stuff." And when I looked around, it was all "her" stuff. She pulled out all her little trinkets and collectables, exercise stuff, candles, personal items. I felt like we were living in one of those shows about hoarders.

But then ... I left my flashlight out on the kitchen counter behind the stove and WOW did I "catch it!" You'd think I just burned the trailer down to the ground or something. I put the flashlight away in it's "travel spot" and she was happy again. Meanwhile, we've got all these plants, stuffed animals, baby dolls, and coffee cups from every state park we've ever been to all over everything!

Oh well, 37 years of marriage .... I just keep my mouth shut!
Old 09-03-2022, 06:17 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I found LOTS of aprons too, send me your address in a PM, she won't miss it

Thanks for the offer but if I can't cook in tshirt and jeans I ain't cookin.
Old 09-03-2022, 06:25 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
You guys are so funny, but so true. It's another Mars vs Venus syndrome for sure (if you remember that book from the 1970's).

We were camped for an entire month as camp host at a North Carolina State Park for the entire month of August 2022. We normally do not sit in one spot that long. Our normal limit is 2 weeks, often shorter than that. So, parked in one spot was nice, but oh how troubling.

It didn't take long for every shelf, every flat surface, every spot on the floor to be covered with "stuff." And when I looked around, it was all "her" stuff. She pulled out all her little trinkets and collectables, exercise stuff, candles, personal items. I felt like we were living in one of those shows about hoarders.

But then ... I left my flashlight out on the kitchen counter behind the stove and WOW did I "catch it!" You'd think I just burned the trailer down to the ground or something. I put the flashlight away in it's "travel spot" and she was happy again. Meanwhile, we've got all these plants, stuffed animals, baby dolls, and coffee cups from every state park we've ever been to all over everything!

Oh well, 37 years of marriage .... I just keep my mouth shut!

^^^This is one of the problems of staying for extended periods. When we go DW has to take her crafts....several of them. 2 boxes of carving tools, one of wood, a box of clay and tools, sacks and boxes of macrame, table to work on....the list goes on. Once set up the back of the trailer becomes the "craft center" - both recliners and the couch. I am relegated to one dinette chair and 1/2 of the table. Outside I put up a clam enclosure with table and chairs for he in case she wants to be outside BUT if I have to repair something and leave a Dremel, screwdriver etc. laying on a counter I get a sharp rebuke for being messy. And things falling out of the cabinets? I won't go into that but it is an issue when "the one" figures it'll fit if she just pushed hard enough. Thankfully I wear work boots from the time I wake up until I go to shower so when that can of large pitted olives falls from the top shelf of the pantry and hits my foot it doesn't hurt "too" bad.