Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2022, 12:51 PM   #1
nosnow

Vertical window latch replacement

I have enjoyed this forum for a couple years now and want to express my gratitude to everyone that takes the time to help us all fix or mitigate our issues. Thank you!

My door side slide-out has two vertical windows, and each window has a spring-loaded latch on each side that releases the window and allows it to move vertically and when the latches are released, they hold the window open in two different positions.

The pointed end of both latches on one of the windows have broken and I found replacements via Trekwood RV Parts.

However, I've been unable to find any guidance regarding the removal of the broken latches and installation of the new ones.

The image below shows an unbroken latch after I removed it's set screw and moved it to the center of the channel it sets in.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Latch.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	39447  
Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 airbags
nosnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s been a number of years since I have had to do what your doing. IIRC that piece of the window has to come out, I just don’t remember how I did it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:19 PM   #3
nosnow

Thanks Chuckster57,

Agreed. My initial assessment was the broken latches would not readily pop out, so the window would have to be removed to slide the old latches out and the new ones in. Short of complete removal and disassembly of the window, I don't see a way to make that happen.
Old 04-25-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Look at the lower glass for a printed label that should tell you who makes the window. Maybe contact them, I didn’t remove the window from the unit when I did it, that much I do remember. Seems to me it lifted high enough to push it to the left or right.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 11:51 AM   #5
nosnow

Thanks again! I attached a photo of the etched label on the lower window and have emailed StateWide for assistance. Fingers crossed...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Windows.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	39461  
Old 06-10-2022, 03:21 AM   #6
Road KaTz

Resolved?

Having the same exact issue and cannot find repair instructions for those latch replacements. Were you able to get this from the window manufacturer by any chance? I'm guessing the dash they are installed into is glued to the top of the glass, but do not want to risk breaking or severely scratching up the glass by trying to get that sash off. Thanks
Road KaTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:26 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road KaTz View Post
Having the same exact issue and cannot find repair instructions for those latch replacements. Were you able to get this from the window manufacturer by any chance? I'm guessing the dash they are installed into is glued to the top of the glass, but do not want to risk breaking or severely scratching up the glass by trying to get that sash off. Thanks
The OP hasn't been back since his last post (4/26). You might want to contact the company that put the sticker on your window yourself and post the results.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
nosnow

Road KaTz, I agree fully with your assessment of the glued status of the dash.

Yes, I did reach out to the manufacturer and received a reply from their customer service department. Customer service followed up further with a reply from their sales team on 4/27. However, the guidance provided by the sales team was not viable for the issue we're discussing.

I reached out to the customer service contact again on 5/13 and 6/5. She replied that she would contact their sales team again. No further reply as of today.

I encourage you to also contact Emily Bolle, my customer service contact.
Emily Bolle
Customer Service
Ph: 574-262-2594 EXT. 16915
Fx: 574-262-4125
[email protected]
Old 10-20-2022, 11:12 AM   #9
kaydo36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnow View Post
I have enjoyed this forum for a couple years now and want to express my gratitude to everyone that takes the time to help us all fix or mitigate our issues. Thank you!

My door side slide-out has two vertical windows, and each window has a spring-loaded latch on each side that releases the window and allows it to move vertically and when the latches are released, they hold the window open in two different positions.

The pointed end of both latches on one of the windows have broken and I found replacements via Trekwood RV Parts.

However, I've been unable to find any guidance regarding the removal of the broken latches and installation of the new ones.

The image below shows an unbroken latch after I removed it's set screw and moved it to the center of the channel it sets in.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Having the same problem. Could you share the parts you found and solution?
kaydo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #10
nosnow

I wish I had better feedback for you.

The replacement parts came from here…
https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...eywords=474939

However, I never found guidance to install them. As indicated In my 6/10/22 post, I reached out to the window manufacturer numerous times without success. Their contact information is also in that same post.

If you have better luck, please share your findings.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:04 AM   #11
Flower44

I am also looking to replace one of these latches. The Dealer told me it would require an entire new window installation. Can't believe that. Hope someone figures out how to replace one of these latches.
Flower44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 11:12 AM   #12
nosnow

I have nothing new to report.

It appears to me the entire window would need to be removed to access the broken latch and replace it, which I'm unwilling to undertake.

I notched a 1/2" diameter dowel, and use it to prop the window open.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:19 AM   #13
Flower44

My screen is on the inside of the window. I am assuming you set the knotched dowl under the window on the inside of your camper? I would have to go outside and set a dowl under the window but thanks for the suggestion.
Flower44 is offline   Reply With Quote