Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2022, 05:37 AM   #1
AlaKat

bike rack

Hubby and I are new owners of a 2022 Keystone Hideout 174rk. He is an avid cyclist, both road bike and mountain bike. We've seen bike racks mounted to the rear bumper, but have also read posts stating that the bumper won't handle the weight. Who has mounted a bike rack to their rear bumper? Any modifications or issues with weight?
AlaKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:23 AM   #2
dutchmensport

Traditionally, it has been advised that putting a clamp on hitch to the rear bumper of a camper and then adding a bicycle rack with bicycles is a broken bumper and bicycles strung all over the road event just waiting to happen.

Traditionally, the advise has always been to have a proper receiver hitch WELDED to the existing trailer frame and then you are much, much safer. However, doing so could void the structural warranty of your trailer frame.

Traditionally, the advise has always been, put the bicycles in a different location.

Traditionally, there have been all sorts of horror stories and photos of failed trailer bumpers broken and dangling.

But, I haven't heard of that happening to anyone, on any RV - camping forum in over 5 years now. So, either folks have wised up and simply not doing it, they've been lucky so far, or manufacturers and designing stronger bumpers (I do not think that is the case though.)

I suggest you DO NOT do it.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:29 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaKat View Post
Hubby and I are new owners of a 2022 Keystone Hideout 174rk. He is an avid cyclist, both road bike and mountain bike. We've seen bike racks mounted to the rear bumper, but have also read posts stating that the bumper won't handle the weight. Who has mounted a bike rack to their rear bumper? Any modifications or issues with weight?
You don't have a bumper; you have a holder for your sewer hose.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 06:29 AM   #4
AlaKat

well poo - that is not the words of wisdom I wanted to hear, but I appreciate your knowledge and candor
Old 04-12-2022, 06:31 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Some manufacturers have put warning labels on the bumper and inside the unit about adding anything to the bumper voiding warranty.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:03 AM   #6
AlaKat

OK - I get it. Do not even think about using the bumper aka sewer hose holder for a bike rack. Alternatives? Someone somewhere has got to bring their bikes with them. I know there is an obvious easy solution and I'm not seeing the forest for the trees.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:10 AM   #7
RVGator

There are plenty of “tongue mounted” bike carriers out there similar to this one pictured. You can google it or search in amazon and come up with multiple solutions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E2E59CC-BC09-4A3D-B52F-CC92ADD7208E.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	39220  
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 07:19 AM   #8
AlaKat

I agree RVGator. That looks like a great solution. The hubs is thinking roof rack, but I think that will be too high, therefore difficult to get the bikes up there. The tongue mount looks reachable. We'll just need to take the bikes down when backing I would imagine so that they don't get damaged by a sharp angled turn
Old 04-12-2022, 08:10 AM   #9
travelin texans

Quote:
I agree RVGator. That looks like a great solution. The hubs is thinking roof rack, but I think that will be too high, therefore difficult to get the bikes up there. The tongue mount looks reachable. We'll just need to take the bikes down when backing I would imagine so that they don't get damaged by a sharp angled turn
If you make a sharp enough turn to damage the bikes on that rack you're going to have the rv in a serious jack knife position & damaging more than the bikes.
I'd be a bit more concerned towing that 21 1/2' long 5200lb TT behind that little Nissan!! You might want to check the numbers on the driver's door jamb & compare them to weights of that rv. I'm betting you'll find the Nissan outmatched!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:55 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

The trailer listed in your profile is a 194 which doesn't exist. I see in your post you listed a 174. I would be concerned that your little SUV can handle the tongue weight of that trailer when it's loaded. The published numbers are false for the tongue and empty weights of the trailer and for the payload of your SUV. The "towing capacity" of that SUV also has zero importance when it comes to travel trailers as you'll exceed the payload before you get to the tow rating.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:12 AM   #11
AlaKat

you were right, i fixed my error. It is a 174rk. I purchased the Blue Ox weight distribution bars to remove the excess tongue weight. They seem to work great. I don't get any dump between the trailer and my pathfinder. The dry weight of the trailer is 4100 lbs. The payload of the pathfinder is just over 1300 lbs with towing capacity of 6000. If my calculations are right, the tongue weight of the trailer, even fully loaded should be between 600-900 lbs, well under my payload. (right? please baby Jesus say right)
Old 04-12-2022, 09:25 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
you were right, i fixed my error. It is a 174rk. I purchased the Blue Ox weight distribution bars to remove the excess tongue weight. They seem to work great. I don't get any dump between the trailer and my pathfinder. The dry weight of the trailer is 4100 lbs. The payload of the pathfinder is just over 1300 lbs with towing capacity of 6000. If my calculations are right, the tongue weight of the trailer, even fully loaded should be between 600-900 lbs, well under my payload. (right? please baby Jesus say right)
Where are you getting the 1,300 payload number from? The "tow capacity" is not applicable. That's a number derived by using a flatbed trailer with a weight centered on the axel which means a low center of gravity, low wind resistance, and little tongue weight.

So even if your numbers work you will still find changelenges with a trailer that size behind a light, short wheelbase SUV. You will have the "tail wagging the dog" during windy conditions and if you have to make a quick emergency maneuvers. Not trying to rain on your parade but just letting you know what you will be dealing with. Light SUV are made to take kids to soccer practice. As for towing they are not built to tow much more than a small flatbed trailer with a small atv on it.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:37 AM   #13
AlaKat

the whole reason i come to this forum is for information, so i don't look at it at all like your raining on my parade. That's a lie, kinda bummed me out, lol. i got the payload number from the Nissan Pathfinder web page. I had a VW Tiguan, but traded her in for Pathfinder because it was rated as a good SUV for towing. So far, I've towed the trailer twice, both times were a 3 hour drive. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but with the sway bars and brake controller i didn't have any difficulty. My dad was my go to for info on everything and i recently lost him to lung cancer, so I'm going to rely on ya'll for help, answers, advice and maybe a little encouragement.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:48 AM   #14
RVGator

Unfortunately you will be hard pressed on this forum to ask questions, like what bike rack should I use, without the discussion turning into one on weight and tow vehicle. I find it frustrating and I know that others do as well but seemingly the weight police can’t help themselves. It will take what should be friendly and helpful questions and answers down a rabbit hole of opinion. It seems to me you have done your homework on the weight and distribution and now you just need a bike rack that will meet your needs.
20k Reese Goosebox
Old 04-12-2022, 09:51 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
the whole reason i come to this forum is for information, so i don't look at it at all like your raining on my parade. That's a lie, kinda bummed me out, lol. i got the payload number from the Nissan Pathfinder web page. I had a VW Tiguan, but traded her in for Pathfinder because it was rated as a good SUV for towing. So far, I've towed the trailer twice, both times were a 3 hour drive. Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but with the sway bars and brake controller i didn't have any difficulty. My dad was my go to for info on everything and i recently lost him to lung cancer, so I'm going to rely on ya'll for help, answers, advice and maybe a little encouragement.
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dad.

Look inside the driver door for a yellow/white sticker. It will have the payload for your particular vehicle.

Some thoughts; the payload won't be a lot and you will probably be pushing your limit if not exceeding it. The Pathfinder is a unibody construction SUV. You need to find the owner's manual and make sure that you can even mount a weight distribution hitch on the vehicle as many unibody vehicles prohibit a weight distribution hitch. You also need to check the receiver on the vehicle. Did it come OE? If so what is the weight rating? It's very possible that the limit is 500lbs. If that is the case as well then you are probably over the weight limit of the receiver and possibly other weight limitations as well. Post back with the numbers from inside the driver door and the receiver and let's see where we are. After that every lb. you add to your trailer or truck adds to the load and deducts from the payload allowed.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 09:53 AM   #16
AlaKat

Thank you so much! As a newbie I'm sure i would've learned that on my own soon enough, but in the meantime i was beginning to sweat bullets and thinking "great, what do i do now?" lol.
Old 04-12-2022, 09:57 AM   #17
AlaKat

found the sticker - payload 1149lbs. The car came with a towing package, so I don't know about the receiver and I don't know what OE means
Old 04-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Danny has given spot on advice. We get bashed as "weight police", typically by those that dont understand how the numbers work or don't belive that their vehichle isn't capable. Here's my logic, let's say you are swimming in the ocean. Someone swims up and asks if you know what time it is. You notice a shark fin in the water. Do you say "it's about noon, pleased to meet you, have a great day!" or do you use common sense and warn them about the possible danger?
Old 04-12-2022, 10:19 AM   #19
RVGator

You can have any logic you like, but this is a forum with specific topics and when each topic devolves into a discussion on weights and tow vehicles then the purpose of the topic goes away. Take this specific “bike rack” topic for example. The OP would like advice on bike racks and now all that is being discussed is the payload capacity of her vehicle. Sometimes silence is golden if you don’t have anything to add pertaining to the actual topic.
20k Reese Goosebox
Old 04-12-2022, 10:31 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
You can have any logic you like, but this is a forum with specific topics and when each topic devolves into a discussion on weights and tow vehicles then the purpose of the topic goes away. Take this specific “bike rack” topic for example. The OP would like advice on bike racks and now all that is being discussed is the payload capacity of her vehicle. Sometimes silence is golden if you don’t have anything to add pertaining to the actual topic.
I disagree with you.....

This is a forum for people to voluntarily join and contribute or just read to gain information about a variety of topics. There is no prohibition about informing a member, new or old, about potential problems they may face. There is, however, a prohibition about complaining about other members. You might want to take a look at the community rules before posting further about your "opinion about travel trailer weights"....

As for your comment about "silence is golden" just remember that bit of advice flows both directions.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack