Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
BulletOwner1

Dinette Cushion Upgrade?

I'm sure this has come up at some time or another but help me out here. We all know that RV dinette cushions are not the greatest when sitting on them for any length of time. Is there an acceptable upgrade out there? Is there a better foam or other material? I suppose a trip to my local upholsterer is in order. Just wondered if any of you good people had a great fix for these cushions. We've upgraded the bed and the couch, dinette is next. TIA
Old 06-23-2019, 07:39 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

On our last trailer with a dinette (we prefer a table/chairs arrangement) we found the cushions uncomfortable. The upholstery has a zipper to remove the covers. The foam in ours was a "single density foam" that didn't offer any support and after sitting for about 30 minutes, our butts were resting on the plywood bench. I went to my local upholstery shop (don't even attempt this at WalMart or Hobby Lobby foam centers) and ordered some 3" high density foam and some 2" memory foam. Our cushions were 5" thick. I cut the foam to the same size as the old foam, used spray adhesive to glue the memory foam to the high density foam and once dry, I put the covers back on my new foam inserts. We found them much more comfortable.

Your upholstery shop can do the work, or if you're up to the task, they can just order the foam. Chances are their labor will be more than the cost of the foam, so you can save half or more by doing the work yourself.

ADDED: Use an electric carving knife with a 10" blade to slice/carve/cut the foam. It works much better than trying to "saw through foam" with a conventional knife or scissors.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
DJ&JA

After spending a couple of rainy days in our TT with another couple playing cards at the dinette, we also, are desperate to upgrade those cushions. At first they seem nice and plush but that goes away after the first hour. The pleather coverings are fine but a more dense foam would be great.

Not sure about memory foam for seating and it might be rather expensive. So I'm looking forward to hearing some input on this upgrade. This must have been near the top of many folks upgrade lists.
DJ&JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #4
DJ&JA

John,

What was the cost of the foam?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:04 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ&JA View Post
John,

What was the cost of the foam?
When I did the mod, about 10 years ago, things were "much cheaper" than today, but currently, a 2" gel infused memory foam mattress topper is available on Amazon for $40. That's enough memory foam to do an average sized RV dinette cushion set. https://www.amazon.com/Linenspa-Infu...15&sr=8-3&th=1 If more foam is needed, a queen or even a king mattress topper is available.

High density seating foam 3" thick is going to be the most expensive part of the foam cushions. There are several "cheap" medium density foam sheets available, but quality "high density" foam is not cheap. Amazon has 3"x24"x72" sheets available for $40 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CXEOW36...i-a=B01CXEOW36 but I'd almost bet that a local upholstery shop has access to "good foam" at a better price.

Remember, it's the foam (not the workmanship) that makes the cushion comfortable, so "going cheap on replacement foam" will likely put your butt in the same uncomfortable seat as what you already have.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
66joej

On our previous TT I replaced the dinette cushions with high density foam from a chain store Joanne's Fabrics (not sure if they are across the US we were in Utah at the time). They have the 5" good stuff. Spray a bit of silicone lube on the corners of the foam. Makes for easier installation. World of difference.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #7
BulletOwner1

John, that sounds like a reasonable way to go. Thanks. Does it make a difference which way you assemble it, memory on top or bottom?
Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #8
BulletOwner1

Speaking of foam cushions, I'm reminded of a fifth wheel we had many years ago. Had a three piece folding cushion for the couch seat that folded out to a foam mattress. When sitting on the couch, three pieces of foam, soon you would be sitting close to the floor as the foam compressed. Made for some interesting standing up...........
Old 06-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #9
DJ&JA

Thanks for all the input jogging my brain. All I could think of was having the cushions custom made with a good foam. John, it never occurred to me that all I needed was the foam in bulk and just cut to match what I have. Just glad that all of the covers are zippered or else it may very well have been a custom job but this now looks simple indeed.

The only odd item is the rounded corner back cushions. They may take a bit of building with a smooth layer on the face.

Would the 3M spray contact cement be a reasonable glue to laminate the foam with? If not, what type of glue would anyone recommend?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:10 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
John, that sounds like a reasonable way to go. Thanks. Does it make a difference which way you assemble it, memory on top or bottom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ&JA View Post
Thanks for all the input jogging my brain. All I could think of was having the cushions custom made with a good foam. John, it never occurred to me that all I needed was the foam in bulk and just cut to match what I have. Just glad that all of the covers are zippered or else it may very well have been a custom job but this now looks simple indeed.

The only odd item is the rounded corner back cushions. They may take a bit of building with a smooth layer on the face.

Would the 3M spray contact cement be a reasonable glue to laminate the foam with? If not, what type of glue would anyone recommend?
First question: To me (ie: IMHO) I'd want the memory foam closest to my butt. It's "gel infused" so it supposedly causes less sweating and is cooler when sitting on it.

Second question: I used 3M spray contact adhesive found in almost all hobby and fabric stores. I have recently used it to laminate some foam for a conversation pit that I built for my grand daughter. I used "hard foam for the base, medium density foam for the center and memory foam for the top surface of the cushions. At 8" thick, they "sit comfortably for the long haul". If you follow the instructions on the adhesive spray can, spray the surfaces, let them dry until "just tacky" and place them together, they will be "permanently glued together. If you make a mistake, you likely will destroy the foam trying to pull the two pieces apart.... Yup, it's a "permanent glue job".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2021, 06:49 PM   #11
philbtv

3 1/2" Cushions

JRTJH,
My 2018 Cougar has the same problem, but (or should I say butt) with 3 1/2" thick cushions. Should I do the same combo just scale it down or just go with the 3 1/2" high density foam? Thanks for sharing all the great info over such a varriety of subjects.
Phil

2018 Cougar 279RKSWE
2015 Ram 2500
Andersen Ultimate w/ B&W Turnover ball
philbtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:08 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Phil,

If your cushion foam is 3.5" thick, I'd try to find some 2.5" high density foam and some 1" gel/memory foam, glue the gel foam on the part you sit on with the high density foam to keep your body weight from putting your butt on the plywood base.....

On some trailers, the cushion covers are slightly larger than the actual foam inside them. It makes it easier for the factory upholsterers to stuff the foam in the covers. If yours measure closer to 4" or maybe even 4.5", you may be able to increase the high density foam thickness, giving you a more comfortable sitting surface....

Play around with it, talk to a local upholsterer. Most of them will be glad to let you "bounce ideas" off them and use their experience as long as you're buying the foam from them.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2021, 07:17 PM   #13
philbtv

3 1/2" Cushions

John,

Thanks for the quick reply and Happy Independence Day to you! I measured the foam and it is 3 1/4". The "do not remove" tag says 3 1/2" x ...the other measurements. I figured for the backs just going with high density foam. I'll contact my local upholstery shop and see what they can sell me for the seat cushion part. It seems to measure just shy of 3 1/2" thick. I'd like to add some gel cushioning if possible.
More to come!
Phil

2018 Cougar 279RKSWE
2015 Ram 2500
Old 07-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Phil,

Don't believe the tags and don't go by the current foam measurements. Take the cover, lay it out on a table and measure the width of the sides around the cushion. Many times the foam is a half inch or more thinner than the actual cushion fabric cover so it's easier for the factory to "quickly fill the cushions and get on to the next job.

You'll be doing it once, so if it's a bit more difficult to get the foam into the cushion cover, just work at it.... You can also fold the foam in half, put it inside a plastic trash bag, suck the air out of it to compress the foam. It's amazing how thick a piece of foam you can squeeze in a 3" space when all the air is removed. Then, pull the bag off the foam (you'll destroy the bag) and it will expand to give you a "thicker than OEM cushion"....

If you use your dinette as a bed, consider the difference between the backs and the seats. When you lay it all down for someone to sleep on, they may like you better if their shoulders are as comfortable as their hips.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #15
philbtv

John,
That all makes perfect sense. Thanks for the reminder that there will be sleepers-the grand kids-so don't scrimp on the bed users! Also the plastic bag/vacuum idea is genius!
Absolutely what I'll do. We recently moved and still have blankets and pillow in those vac bags. Can't thank you enough!
Phil

2018 Cougar 279RKSWE
2015 Ram 2500
Old 12-27-2022, 03:27 PM   #16
LHaven

I learned a lot from this thread.

In our case, we want to scrap the entire seating, cases and all, and go with improved foam in a fabric case -- way less sticky on the skin, and we can sew velcro to it to stop the pads from sliding off the seats all the time.

We found a place that will do the entire job for us, but we get a choice of HD foam or memory foam, not both. (The pads are only 3½".)

Foam isn't really in my wheelhouse. Which way would you go?
Old 12-27-2022, 03:55 PM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I learned a lot from this thread.

In our case, we want to scrap the entire seating, cases and all, and go with improved foam in a fabric case -- way less sticky on the skin, and we can sew velcro to it to stop the pads from sliding off the seats all the time.

We found a place that will do the entire job for us, but we get a choice of HD foam or memory foam, not both. (The pads are only 3½".)

Foam isn't really in my wheelhouse. Which way would you go?

Memory foam might work on a mattress but I would not want it on a seat cushion at all IMO. As far as using the HD foam, what are the options the place is giving you? What options does HE have for ordering the material? I ask because several years ago we had some cushions custom made by a foam supplier online and there were several options for the density of the foam. Here's a link to a supplier of different foams;

https://www.foambymail.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Good luck on finding the right material and getting them replaced. It made a huge difference to us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:58 AM   #18
dutchmensport

Question and then an idea?

Do you use your dinette for bed space? In other words, do you use it consistently to turn it into a bed, or do you keep it set up as a table all the time?

If you keep it set up as a table all the time, then here is a consideration?

Remove the wooden bottom from the dinette bench. You know that part of the bench that you actually sit on. Replace it with a mesh, or a wire mesh, like chicken fence wire. (only stronger) or nylon (but that might stretch too much). The idea is to make a softer support under the cushions. (like on a couch. A couch uses metal springs to support the load, and then lots of foam on top of that so you don't feel the metal supporting springs on your bottom.) If you could remove the wooden platform and replace it with a new framed platform with a mesh, like a net, wires, nylon, (the possibilities are many), then put the cushions on top of that, it would make for a much, much softer experience for "the Southern Comfort!" By making a separate frame, you can easily lit it up (like the wooden board) so you can still access the storage space under the seats.

It's just an idea. We had 1 pop-up and 2 travel trailers with dinettes and we hated all 3 of them. They were horribly uncomfortable. We finally got a camper with table and chairs, and recliners and couches with high backs so our head and neck can actually rest and be supported. Besides, for the last 37 years we've been camping, we very, very seldom ever ate at the kitchen table.

Kick this idea around before purchasing anything?
Old 12-28-2022, 07:07 AM   #19
LHaven

We use the dinette as a bed only when we take the grandkid camping, but we do use it.

I'm a 300-pounder, so I've already replaced the "plywood" on my seat side with plywood. Going in the other direction now is probably not indicated.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:19 AM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
As far as using the HD foam, what are the options the place is giving you? What options does HE have for ordering the material? I ask because several years ago we had some cushions custom made by a foam supplier online and there were several options for the density of the foam. Here's a link to a supplier of different foams;

https://www.foambymail.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
My guy's HD foam seems to be on par with your guy's "HD36 Regular." My bet is that it's very similar to the foam I used to upgrade my 1998 trailer shortly after buying it, and we were happy with that for 20 years. That was already a fabric case, so I did those myself. But replacing the vinyl is half the battle this time.

Tags
dinette, upgrade