Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
marcapie

Exclamation Flojet water pump and winterizing - EASY

I'm a new member and want to share my experiences with winterizing my 1 year old Cougar 27RLS TT. There is a lot of talk about winterizing, water pumps, hot water heaters, bypass kits, etc. Having a class C RV before, I was aware of the issues. For my class C, I used a dealer to winterize it - it was an older RV and it wasn't convenient to winterize as the new models are.

During an warranty appt, I had asked my Cougar dealer service rep to do something to help me with winterizing and the water pump: add a kit, give me a special hose and connector - give me or do something. Nothing was done - I was told to use a hand pump.

In VA we have already had a couple of nights of 28-30 degs and there was no plans for any more trips. So winterizing was required NOW. I bled the water system via the low drain points, emptied the hot water heater, put antifreeze in the traps, emptied the tanks, and ran the water pump for 15 seconds. But I was worried about completely emptying the water pump, and decided that antifreezing the pipes is required (and safest).

As I searched the web for info, I found this video on YouTube from Keystone. It tells about 2 methods: using compressed air or antifreeze. Well LOL I see my Flojet water pump when the video guy talks about using the water pump to winterize with antifreeze. And it is so easy! Just unhook the intake water hose and plug in your Flojet adapter hose which has the other end in a gallon of antifreeze and use the water pump to fill the pipes with antifreeze. BTW -- My water pump is located in the kitchen cabinet beside the exterior door - I have to remove at least 1 drawer.

YouTube address for Keystone video:

So what you need is a Flojet Port Adapter (or Adaptor - spelling depends on the site) and some plastic tubing (and hose clamp) - 1/2 inch. I got my adapter at my dealer parts dept. The parts rep knew just what I wanted/needed and he had it! BTW the parts rep wasn't surprised that the service rep did not know about this capability.

A site with the Flojet adapter:
http://www.rvparts.com/product-81-20381009

I hope this helps!

marcapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
traveler

Got it. Did it. Piece of cake.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Seann
Permanent User Ban

I have never understood why some think there is something "magical" about winterizing... its so easy and the dealer charges soooooo much $$$ to do it... and most dont even empty your black/gray tanks. Just remember to prop your fridge doors open...
Seann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
JetPilot

Great info on winterizing, marcapie...thanks!
JetPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 AM   #5
Flyguy

Excellent post Marcapie! I saved that video for my future reference. Now that's what I call making a positive contribution to the forum.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
Retired_Jim

I too used your link and got the adapter. I also live in Va. and we already are benefiting from winterization with temps. in the 20"s. We winter camp at a campground with elec. I bought the other regular T-type adaptor before realizing I needed a clip-in valve like you found for my flowjet.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote