Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
sagebel

DEF is what gives you better mileage due to requiring fewer regen cycles to clean the DPF. That is the problem with the 6.4 trucks. I imagine the Cummins with DEF will do quite well on fuel. I did notice that my truck used more DEF when towing frequently before I did the deletes.

I'm a Ford man but there are advantages to an inline 6. I even drove a cummins equiped truck before buying my 6.7 Ford. In the end I bought the first 6.7 Ford off the truck in May 2010 and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #22
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebel View Post
DEF is what gives you better mileage due to requiring fewer regen cycles to clean the DPF. That is the problem with the 6.4 trucks. I imagine the Cummins with DEF will do quite well on fuel. I did notice that my truck used more DEF when towing frequently before I did the deletes.

I'm a Ford man but there are advantages to an inline 6. I even drove a cummins equiped truck before buying my 6.7 Ford. In the end I bought the first 6.7 Ford off the truck in May 2010 and couldn't be happier.
Sorry DEF has nothing to do with regen cycles of the Diesel Particulate filter.

Diesel Exhaust fluid is added to the exhaust stream to help reduce NOx.

Here is a quick U tube video on a typical system

The Diesel Exhaust Filter is filtering out soot. When this filter reachs a certian restriction point a Regeneration cycle is initiated to clean this filter. This is done by raising the exhaust temperatures to burn out the soot by adding fuel late in the cyclinder stroke in fords. The Durmax and I also believe the Cummins are doing thru a fuel injector directly in the exhuast.

A non manufacturuer relate article

http://econixdpf.com/

As far as def usage.....I made a 9k roundtrip this summer and used roughly 2.5 gallons every 2,500 miles or 1 gallon every 1,000 mles rolling with nearly 23,000 pounds total. The harder u work the engine the hotter the exhaust will stay reducing regen cycles, but u will also use a little more DEF at the same time.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #23
BUDMAN76

Gm truck

Go with gm and you will be happy. The company i work for is getting rid (junking) there ford fleet and going all gm.
BUDMAN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
jerseyphil

I'm sure every manufacturer has their share of problems. All the diesels seem pretty good now. My 2011 Ford 6.7 has been really good. No issues yet, but I only have 15K miles.

The DW likes the fact that it is a fairly quiet diesel. Personnally, I like the louder diesel sound.
jerseyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #25
SAABDOCTOR

WCW See what you started i have read all the posts,I'm gonna get some hornet spray and have a beer! y'all play nice
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote