Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2023, 10:15 PM   #1
rhagfo

Strong Floor Registers

Well we have floor ducts for our furnace, all off a central floor duct. This places them close to the center of the floor and in the traffic path. We have moved from the cheap pressed steel registers, to a heaver gauge stamped steel register, but they all bent, down in the middle and up on the edges.
Well we are pretty sure we have found the fix, DW found these at Lowes, Cast Iron floor registers! Not terribly expensive at about $27 each.
They do set a bit higher then the others, but for the strength difference a great trade off. I could cut the vinyl plank flooring and set them down the thickness of the flooring.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:37 PM   #2
LHaven

Well, those may shatter but they'll never bend!
I'm well over 300 lb. but have not yet managed to bend my stamped steel upgrades.
Old 01-23-2023, 06:38 AM   #3
Max23

Those look great. Nice upgrade. We use a very similar model all over our home. Haven't tried the TT. Very nice.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:24 AM   #4
jxnbbl

I've done the same. Additionally I made sure to get ones with louvers to allow some regulation of heat from specific registers and/or shutting them down when it is warm/grandkids are there so small items don't fall in.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 08:32 AM   #5
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I've done the same. Additionally I made sure to get ones with louvers to allow some regulation of heat from specific registers and/or shutting them down when it is warm/grandkids are there so small items don't fall in.
These have the adjustable Louvers so was a bit surprised at $27 price as on line would have been about $50.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 12:49 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

My understanding is that Keystone moved away from the stamped steel floor registers and started using plastic ones to help prevent burned feet. Apparently some people complained about infants/toddlers standing on the floor registers near the furnace and getting burned by the "heated up steel registers"....

For most of us, it's probably not an issue, but if you do replace the "fragile plastic registers" with steel or cast iron registers, just be aware of who might be standing on them without realizing they do get hot.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:13 PM   #7
Weldon

Mine came with the flimsy version. I ignored them until it got below freezing on a trip (not often in the SE), and I pulled them up to ensure I wasn't losing warm air due to gaps, and realized how badly the middle sank. I'm less than 200 lbs. My wife is half that, and my kids don't weigh 100 lbs combined. I doubt we bent them, but i just dont know. I bought some very sturdy replacements through Amazon. Don't think they're as sturdy as yours, but they work for us and are not likely to bend. I like your design MUCH better, but now I just can't justify replacing the replacements. Good find on your part, although I DO NOT approve of the purchase place. . After working at the home office of "the competition " for over 15 years...loyalty and all that
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor