Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2023, 08:34 AM   #1
larrygiordano

Crooked slide out

Hi folks. Need help again. The slide on my 2017 Springdale is extending crooked. The right side (motor side) extends first, then “drags” the left side with it. About 6-7” behind. Once fully extended the left side is still about 6-7” behind sealing on inside wall. With a lot of pushing we can get it to align. There are loud thunks from the motor side as if it was jumping gears but not from the left side. Coming in it jerks but will even out. I read about maybe changing gear packs or adding washers to the tops of the tubes but the motor side looks like it’s jacked up with washers already and the gear packs don’t look bad to me, but I digress to the experts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Top 2 pics are motor side. Bottom 2 are opposite side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3112E8D9-BC64-433F-80F0-B9768028B2CC.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	42610   Click image for larger version

Name:	972B9844-2635-46E1-ACA1-4903C0C48E9D.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	42611   Click image for larger version

Name:	AF6AB105-20E2-4829-AD99-A0B42951E44E.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	42612   Click image for larger version

Name:	17F67A63-7030-46E9-BCCE-82693476CA77.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	42613  
larrygiordano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 12:11 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The picture of the gear pack looks like it isn’t engaged with the teeth on the slide tube. If that’s the idler (non motor) side, that’s a big issue. Do the teeth of the gear pack look worn?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:41 PM   #3
larrygiordano

Actually they don't, but I was thinking the same thing. they don't look fully engaged. No missing or broken teeth. I am hesitant to replace them if it wont change anything.
Old 01-06-2023, 05:17 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygiordano View Post
Actually they don't, but I was thinking the same thing. they don't look fully engaged. No missing or broken teeth. I am hesitant to replace them if it wont change anything.
There is a reason why one side is moving in "misaligned" from the other side.

"In theory" the motor drives the side that it is attached to, the transverse torque tube drives the other side. "In theory" when the motor drive side extends or retracts 1 gear tooth, the torque tube "forces the follower side to move 1 tooth". So, if the two rams are not correctly aligned, it means one side "skipped a tooth or two"... And, if there's a 6" to 8" difference, that means one side "skipped a tooth or two more than just once".....

You have an "ongoing problem" with one of the two gear packs "skipping a tooth or two on a consistent basis.

The first thing I'd do is disconnect one side of the transverse torque tube and then count the gears on the ram from the exterior side of the ram (furthest from the trailer) and turn one or the other rams so that both rams have the same number of teeth "from the gear pack to the end of the ram"... Then reconnect the torque tube and see what happens. If the "drive gear jumps a tooth" you will feel it as a "jolt to the slide" as it's moving.

There are three means by which the gear pack is held against the top of the ram (forcing the gears to remain meshed)...

1. There is a plastic tab on the top of the ram housing that pushes down on the ram, keeping it from jumping up and skipping a tooth.

2. The gearpack has two plastic wheels, one on each side of the spur gear that is attached to the torque tube. If those wheels are worn or damaged (mine split and was "wobbling on the shaft" which caused my gearpack to skip a tooth),,,

3. Slide alignment is the third consideration. If the wear bar is too high (slide misaligned) the slide "riding up onto the wear bar" can lift the ram away from the gearpack drive gear, causing wear on that plastic tab on the top of the ram housing.

Here is a link to the Lippert support page link for inspecting, replacing and modifying the gearpack and that plastic tab: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0002436.pdf

The photo of the gear pack has the washer mod identified in red.

ADDED: From looking at your photos, it appears that someone has already done the "Skipping teeth update" as there are washers already under your to plastic wear tab. That would indicate to me that the problem is "ongoing" not "new". Why is that important? If the outer arm assembly/inner arm assembly are bent, damaged or worn, you may wind up having to replace the rams (one or both). If you do that, I'd strongly recommend that you also replace the gear packs so you're starting with a reliable, not worn slide drive mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE ROLLER WEAR TABS 1.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	42616  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LIPPERT SLIDE SKIPPING TEETH TECH SHEET.pdf (314.0 KB, 541 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:00 PM   #5
larrygiordano

Thanks for the info JRTJH. I did read up on that fix from Lippert and was excited that I had a solution. til I got to the camper and saw what you see in the pics.For sure someone has had problems before and now they have resurfaced. We've had it for two years and this the first trouble we've had with the slide. What would be the most effective way of checking if the ram arms are bent? There are no missing teeth or obvious cracks but bent is a possibility as we noticed the slide looks tilted slightly when fully extended.
Old 01-06-2023, 06:06 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

There is a new fix. If the outer tube is crowned, you take the shims out. Then use whatever means needed to make the top of the tube flat. Then weld brackets on the top and side of the outer tube. I’ve done it 3 times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-07-2023, 06:32 AM   #7
larrygiordano

where would you weld the bracket? On top of the top tube contacting the inner tube?
Old 01-07-2023, 06:34 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygiordano View Post
where would you weld the bracket? On top of the top tube contacting the inner tube?
Yes. As I remember it’s 2 L brackets, we used some fairly thick metal. Weld at the top, sides and where they meet.

Old 01-23-2023, 06:38 AM   #9
larrygiordano

Just an update- After rolling around in the mud last week , further inspection with the slide being run in and out, I found a broken tooth on the motor side gear. As the slide would operate out, the missing tooth would hit so the bar that goes across to the follow side would stop rotating. The motor still pushed the slide out but the follow side didn't,well, follow. Hence, crooked slide. Gear packs acquired and will replace soon. I'm going to replace both sides, because , might as well. I'll inspect the other gear pack, if its in good shape we'll throw it in the spare parts box. Decided to post this in case someone else has a similar situation and can read one solution. Thanks for all the help!
Old 01-23-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Larry,

There are two different "gear pack center gears"... One is a 15 tooth gear and the other is 18 tooth gear. Make sure you "count the teeth" on your gearpack. They are not interchangeable and installing the wrong "tooth count gear" will damage/destroy the gears on your RAM system. If that happens, you'll need to replace the entire RAM, a much more expensive part.....

Mine were 15 tooth gears on my 2014 Cougar XLite with 14' slide, but that's no assurance that your "gear packs" have the same count as mine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:01 PM   #11
larrygiordano

Yes sir counted the teeth. i believe they come in the 15 and 18 tooth flavors but mine was the 15 tooth variety. Counting the teeth was easy when you're missing one-knew where to start and stop!

Tags
slide, slide out