Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2023, 10:57 AM   #41
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Adding trip mileages together is one way to keep track. Another, for Ford owner's with the digital dash display, is to go into the truck applications program, create a "fifth wheel trailer by name" (the truck has capability to create and track up to 10 trailers). Just go to the "truck apps" screen, choose the correct trailer by name and the truck will track the mileage for the trailer, while monitoring the use and will automatically stop adding miles when the trailer is not plugged into the 7 pin umbilical on the truck's receiver/in-bed connector.

Your 2013 SuperDuty, if equipped with the digital center information center (between the speedometer and the tachometer) has a program to keep track of the trailer mileage for you.
Yes, thats exactly what I was getting at, he just did a better job explaining, also, I did not know what your TV was. Not sure if other makes have that same thing or not.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:13 AM   #42
harleywalt

It appears that my dexter axles have the E-Z lube caps. So I’m going to ask my shop what they looked like when pulled. Grease or no grease or something else. It would seem that this(EZ) should save a repacking. But it also exposes any issues.when performed.
harleywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 11:38 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleywalt View Post
It appears that my dexter axles have the E-Z lube caps. So I’m going to ask my shop what they looked like when pulled. Grease or no grease or something else. It would seem that this(EZ) should save a repacking. But it also exposes any issues.when performed.
Bearing/race/seal inspection is required on Dexter axles every 12 months/12,000 miles. That means a "hub disassembly, inspection and repacking" annually, regardless of EZ Lube use. When you "get right down to the bottom line" the Dexter manual's requirements are written in a way that EXCLUDES the need for the EZ Lube system. There is NO DOCUMENTED REQUIREMENT in the Dexter manual that requires a need to use the EZ Lube system and the ONLY maintenance/inspection on Dexter axles used on Keystone trailers is the "removal of the hub, cleaning of old grease, inspection of bearings/races, repacking the bearings (manually), installation of a new seal and reassembly of the hub on the spindle.

NOWHERE in the Dexter manual is there any "requirement to use the EZ Lube system" and NOWHERE in the Dexter manual is there a maintenance or inspection procedure that includes using the EZ Lube system to replace the mandatory inspections.

This is just my opinion, but the EZ Lube system was developed as a "replacement for maintenance/inspection" but it never happened because of "some unseen reason"... To date, there is no procedure documented in the Dexter manual that requires use of the EZ Lube system for any "required maintenance/inspection procedure".

It's like the EZ Lube system is "just there, taking up space with no reason for being there".....

ADDED: Going "one step further", there is a caution in the Dexter manual to not "mix incompatible grease types" as they could break down and not protect the hub components. The "Dexter maintenance requirement" is to remove all the old grease, repack with new grease after inspection. Doing that, removes the risk of "mixing grease types" which could lead to problems. Adding small amounts of grease via the EZ Lube system could, especially with a new trailer or with a trailer that has had previous maintenance by unknown persons, or after someone else performed previous maintenance on the axles, be the source of incompatible grease being added to the hub assemblies. Unless you repacked the bearings last time they were repacked and NOBODY has added any grease since then, you're not "really sure" that grease types are going to be compatible when adding a "top off bit of grease before a trip".....

Additionally, on a "brand new trailer" there's no way (without a visual inspection) to even know if the hubs and brakes are assembled correctly. We all "expect the factory did it correctly" but.... I remember at least 2 recalls on Dexter and Lippert axles for "lack of lubricant" and "installation of incorrect components".

Just another "something to ponder"..... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 02:38 PM   #44
harleywalt

Got that. I’ll be repacking No on.
harleywalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:26 PM   #45
bobbecky

Every one avoids the fact that the brakes really need the inspection annually, and the bearings just get repacked in the process. If you do 'pack' the bearings with a grease gun, which uses at least a tube of grease per hub, when you do remove the hub to inspect the brakes, what do you do with all that wasted grease? If you do pack the bearings manually, giving the zerks a few shots of grease does nothing to add grease to the outer bearings, unless you use a full tube of grease, and then you have no idea if the seals are good enough to safely retain the grease. Greased brakes mean NO BRAKES, so this is a real safety hazard.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:44 PM   #46
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bearing/race/seal inspection is required on Dexter axles every 12 months/12,000 miles. That means a "hub disassembly, inspection and repacking" annually, regardless of EZ Lube use.

This is just my opinion, but the EZ Lube system was developed as a "replacement for maintenance/inspection" but it never happened because of "some unseen reason"... To date, there is no procedure documented in the Dexter manual that requires use of the EZ Lube system for any "required maintenance/inspection procedure".

Additionally, on a "brand new trailer" there's no way (without a visual inspection) to even know if the hubs and brakes are assembled correctly. We all "expect the factory did it correctly" but.... I remember at least 2 recalls on Dexter and Lippert axles for "lack of lubricant" and "installation of incorrect components".

Just another "something to ponder"..... YMMV
you know why.. it is all set up to deny warenty work and reduce costs. a car wheel berring is how many hundred thousand miles before it requires any service but a rv that never moves is yearly maybe less than 500 miles a year for over 50% of the units that are sold.

my 5th was one that they forgot to fill the hubs at the factory and only put a couple squirts in each one. as a result on my first trip they ended up replacing 3 out of the 4 hubs ( 1 failed 2 were starting to fail) but is that the factory or the dealership for not doing a proper PDI.. I say both... even after they replaced the berrings they only put in about 50% of the grease required to fill the hubs, cost cuts I guess. I noticed a significant temp drop in the hubs after I started doing the maintenance, as per the ez-lube instructions. (I am a little paranoid about them now so I use a heat gun when I stop to check my hub temps)
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:03 PM   #47
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
you know why.. it is all set up to deny warenty work and reduce costs. a car wheel berring is how many hundred thousand miles before it requires any service but a rv that never moves is yearly maybe less than 500 miles a year for over 50% of the units that are sold.

my 5th was one that they forgot to fill the hubs at the factory and only put a couple squirts in each one. as a result on my first trip they ended up replacing 3 out of the 4 hubs ( 1 failed 2 were starting to fail) but is that the factory or the dealership for not doing a proper PDI.. I say both... even after they replaced the berrings they only put in about 50% of the grease required to fill the hubs, cost cuts I guess. I noticed a significant temp drop in the hubs after I started doing the maintenance, as per the ez-lube instructions. (I am a little paranoid about them now so I use a heat gun when I stop to check my hub temps)

Car bearings and trailer bearings are two completely different things so can't be compared.

I've had excellent results with warranty approvals. Some were denied yes but that's to be expected (and they amount to maybe 2 occasions). It's unfortunate but an RV is truly a buyer beware, know your business, kind of purchase. Those that walk in for the first time, never thinking about doing due diligence, can have a devil of a time with them. If you cover the bases right at the gitgo much/most of that is avoided. Does it make sense to buy a new RV and then think about all the little things that may have been overlooked? Not really, but then again that's the way it is and if you don't you will very possibly have one of those "oh, shxx" moments in the middle of nowhere.

Complete and thorough PDI is a must. China bombs must be replaced; I take mine off before they leave the lot. Bearings and brakes? Take it home and dig in - it's part of getting to know your RV. Batteries, springs, shackles, appliances etc. - tear into them and KNOW what they are, what makes them work and what shape they are in. Small stuff I've found that irritate people are simple things like the stove burner ignitor wires falling off; oven thermcoupler bent out of position; mal/mis adjusted doors, slam latch doors, cabinet doors....you name it.

It's not about some "plan" to deny warranty, it's the nature of the beast and the more you know about it the happier an owner will be.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 05:30 PM   #48
chuckster57
Site Team

I have never removed wheels and drums as a normal part of a PDI. Unless I saw evidence of seal failure ( stained rims, etc.) the only thing done was tire date code, pressure and lug torque. I did have 2 customers request a bearing/brake inspection but they paid for the ADDITIONAL work.

Any warranty denial will come from the axle manufacturer not Keystone as they just put the axle assemblies on the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:05 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

This is the way the axles and the chassis come to Keystone. The axles are installed in the first station (just inside the assembly line door), then after the tires/wheels are installed, the chassis is turned over "on its wheels" and moves forward to station 2. When those axles are brought in from the rain, they are expected to be greased, brakes adjusted, springs aligned and ready for installation. If they aren't, it's "on Dexter, not Keystone". To my knowledge, there is no station on the assembly line or PDI step at the dealership that confirms axle serviceability. It's all left to the axle manufacturer to assemble them correctly. Hopefully no damage is done while in the rain stacked out by the fence at Keystone.

Remember that most "manufacturing process decisions" are more "financially motivated" than "buyer satisfaction related"... What that means, generally, is that the bean counters compute the least expensive way to maintain an acceptable failure rate while producing a product. Then, once the product is in the buyer's hands, if a particular buyer has a failure, it's cheaper to repair his trailer than it woud have cost to "spend excessive amounts of money" to make sure there are no failures".

So, if your axles "crap out" Lippert or Dexter or Keystone will pay to fix the problem.... If it happens while you're on vacation, thousands of miles from home, well, there's a statement in the warranty that excludes your inconvenience as a "reimbursable expense"... in other words, "they fixed your trailer, your vacation is your problem"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LIPPERT AXLES.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	42687   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0294.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	42688   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0295.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	42689   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0296.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	42690  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:48 PM   #50
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I have never removed wheels and drums as a normal part of a PDI. Unless I saw evidence of seal failure ( stained rims, etc.) the only thing done was tire date code, pressure and lug torque. I did have 2 customers request a bearing/brake inspection but they paid for the ADDITIONAL work.

Any warranty denial will come from the axle manufacturer not Keystone as they just put the axle assemblies on the frame.

Exactly and what I was pointing out in my post. That frame, wheels, axles, hubs etc. come in as a "piece part", Keystone just throws their RV on top of it. There have been enough reported instances over the years of those "factory bearings" whether Lippert or Dexter coming without proper lube that it warrants a look see after purchase....and the reports of the brakes just "hanging" in there? Part of "getting to know" your trailer IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote