Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #1
D.Mitchell90

Plumbing access

How do I access my water pipes under my sink to check to see if they are cracked?
D.Mitchell90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 02:06 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mitchell90 View Post
How do I access my water pipes under my sink to check to see if they are cracked?
Are there not doors that open to the area under the sink? Perhaps use a signature with year, make and model of the camper as well as your tow vehicle so answers to your questions will have more context.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
D.Mitchell90

It's a 2020 springdale 240HBWE. There is cabnit door but I can only access about 2ft of the lines and pipes. Just from the sink to the floor. I'm needing to check under that to make sure all pipes and lines are good. I was wondering if there is a quick access or if I had to take the trailer apart.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:13 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have a sealed underbelly, you can remove the fasteners on the edge, pull it down and have a look see with a flashlight.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
D.Mitchell90

Thank you. That definitely helps.
Old 01-03-2023, 03:27 PM   #6
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your Springdale. That's a nice trailer.

More than likely, if you want to access anything under the floor, you will have to access it from under the trailer. More than likely, yours has a plastic/cardboard/corrugated type of material covering the underbelly of your camper. This covering is called chloroplast. It's the same material used for placing signs, (like For Sale, or Yard Sale, or even those political candidate signs), the same signs that people stick in their yards.

The easiest way to open up the underbelly is to simply cut a flap in the area you are wanting to see. Cut the "flap" in a U shape with the uncut part toward the front of the camper. Gently pull it down, don't bend it or crease it. Do your examination or do your fixes. When done, you simply tape the "incision" (where you cut) back up with a strong tape (Like Eternabond, or Gorilla, or aluminum tape used on furnace duct work.

The reason you do not cut the front is so when driving forward the wind will not catch anything and rip it open. If the cut end is to the rear, wind will blow over and you'll never have issues.

The other alternative is to unscrew all the screws holding the chloroplast on. But you will find this is a long, slow, and very hard process.

That is where you have to gain access under floor of your camper.

A much, much better way to determine if you have a leaking pipe (water line), is to simply put water in your fresh water tank, pump the water, purge the air out of your lines and sit and wait and listen. If you have a leak anywhere, you'll hear the water pump cycle on and off. If it remains quiet, you do not have any leaks. Hooking up to a garden hose and a water spigot...???? You'll never hear the water run until it comes gushing out from under the trailer. And just an FYI. It takes only about 3 ounces of water for your water pump to turn on and off. And that is very, very, very little water.

Now, if you think a drain is broken, if you run enough water through your sink, eventually it will drip under the trailer. Then you'll know. If so, you'll end up cutting a hole in the Coloplast to fix it and that will allow everything to dry out.

Tags
plumbing