Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2022, 10:43 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought my water pressure gauge about 10 years ago, paid around $8 or 9 for it. Now, Home Depot has a similar gauge for $15. I use mine on a Y fitting with the gauge on one side and my regulator on the other side. That way I can see the campground pressure and my regulator pressure...

It gives me the "added bonus" (if I need it) of being able to disconnect the hose from the Y fitting and connect it to the regulator output or the hose output to see "just how accurate my regulator pressure gauge really is"... I know, a tad bit anal, but having a "second opinion" if you're not sure the regulator is working after a freeze or after being dropped on the concrete, can be comforting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER PRESSURE GAUGE.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	42497  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

I use Watts version (https://www.amazon.com/Watts-0950200...96817391&psc=1) that has a second needle that "records" the highest pressure. I've seen that second pointer hit 100 or more when during the day it's not gone above 60 psi.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #23
Camp CA

Never had a security issue with surge protectors in 18+ years........however, consider a combination cable lock, which is what I used to secure my electric outboard motor on my sailboat rail.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:33 PM   #24
dutchmensport

Well, since the thread has morphed into water pressure regulators too, I'll add from my experiences again.

First hard sided camper at our first KOA, was warned about high water pressure (very high). I thought about that and realized the cheesy one I got from the RV dealership in their token "starter packet" would not cut the mustard. What to do.

Easy solution, and I've done it this way ever since. I simply filled my fresh water tank and use my on board water pump. I never, ever, ever leave my garden hose connected to the trailer with the spigot on. The only exception is to fill the fresh water tank and then it gets disconnected again.

Problem solved.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Well, since the thread has morphed into water pressure regulators too, I'll add from my experiences again.

First hard sided camper at our first KOA, was warned about high water pressure (very high). I thought about that and realized the cheesy one I got from the RV dealership in their token "starter packet" would not cut the mustard. What to do.

Easy solution, and I've done it this way ever since. I simply filled my fresh water tank and use my on board water pump. I never, ever, ever leave my garden hose connected to the trailer with the spigot on. The only exception is to fill the fresh water tank and then it gets disconnected again.

Problem solved.
That'll work with any trailer with a "gravity fill port" for the fresh water tank... It won't "protect the valving and O-rings" in the newer "convenience center pressure fill water systems"... To a point, turning a valve on some of the new fresh water fill mechanisms when under "normal water pressure" will dislodge the O-rings and cause the system to fail. Twisting that same valve with water pressure two times normal ??? What kind of damage would that do ????

So, in some of the newer trailers, if you don't have a regulator, you may only fill your fresh water tank once before you damage the valving in the convenience center..... Ain't "progress" wunnerful ?????

Not to mention what you'd do to the anti-siphon valve under the vanity if you try to flush the black tank with that kind of water pressure !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #26
LHaven

I just came here after seeing this thread appear in the weekly newsletter to find out how a thread about EMS ended up with a water pressure gauge image in it.
Old 12-25-2022, 11:02 AM   #27
Mr Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post

I just put a padlock through the hole shown on the cover (right side) when cover is closed, it should line up with the hole on the box.
Old 12-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mojo View Post
I just put a padlock through the hole shown on the cover (right side) when cover is closed, it should line up with the hole on the box.
Not sure I am seeing a padlock in your picture and I can't make sense of what you do to secure your EMS.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:19 PM   #29
CedarCreekWoody

George he puts a lock in that hole in the cover and the base, preventing it from opening. The EMS then can't be unplugged.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 03:32 PM   #30
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
George he puts a lock in that hole in the cover and the base, preventing it from opening. The EMS then can't be unplugged.
i don’t like that idea…can’t get to the breaker easily if you need to shut it off in a emergency …fumbling around with the key …i use a cable lock to the pedestal then shut the cover
Old 12-25-2022, 04:46 PM   #31
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
I’m looking for suggestions for securing my portable EMS to the pedestal. Never had a problem yet, but it seems like there is a new breed of campers out there in the past few years.

Thanks,
I attached a piece of wire rope to my metal clip. I used to use 2 long shank locks. But every now and then, it still wasn't long enough. I used a swaging tool for a crimp connection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221213_162056.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	489.1 KB
ID:	42537  
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 02:58 PM   #32
Bandit12

Having been a cop, albeit military, in a past life, I agree there are some unscrupulous individuals around and some of them have started living the RV lifestyle. I too didn't want my $300+ progressive EMS to get legs and wander away from the campground. As such, I made my own security cable out of aircraft cable, swedges, and a combo padlock. I run the cable thru the pull handle on the trailers shore power cord, wrap it around something non-moveable, and lock it to the security tab on the EMS. This was my set up on my old Progressive unit. That one died this past summer on our cross country trip, I now have a Hughes Watchdog unit that I secure in the manner I described. Sorry for the sideways pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Progeressive EMS Security 1.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	42539  
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote