Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2022, 04:03 PM   #21
dalel2000

Yes have the heated hose. Already pregnant on this one, so let’s see. So far all good. Definitely not my plan to do this again - we hate cold, but visiting kids …

Rub that glacier sticker for me a few times … I’ll do same.
dalel2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalel2000 View Post
Interesting. Moving water doesn’t freeze easily, especially water that is somewhat warm. Other forums imply “this is the way”.

I have been monitoring in below 20 degree weather for the last couple days and so far ok. Stay tuned, soon to have even colder weather here in Kansas.
Good luck with that. " Moving" water? Relatively warm water runs off a house roof and freezes creating ice cycles. RV sewer hoses tend to be ribbed and lay pretty flat, dramatically slowing down a trickle of water to a crawl. Even Niagra Falls has frozen before.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 04:38 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalel2000 View Post
Interesting. Moving water doesn’t freeze easily, especially water that is somewhat warm. Other forums imply “this is the way”.

I have been monitoring in below 20 degree weather for the last couple days and so far ok. Stay tuned, soon to have even colder weather here in Kansas.

That water in the sewer hose spends the last "long time" barely moving; it's not warm and by the time it gets about 8' out it's wanting to freeze. Once that "ice sheet" is built on the bottom of the sewer hose it freezes that much quicker. Anyone that says "this is the way" has never done it before for any length of time....or had to deal with it once it happens. The individual I mentioned earlier was stuck - he had to go buy a new sewer hose and deal with the frozen one.....he didn't leave his faucets running or the drain open 2nd go round.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 05:25 PM   #24
dalel2000

Stay tuned ��
Old 12-20-2022, 10:30 PM   #25
wiredgeorge

Got a notice from Medina county emergency management:
Artic airmass moving in Thursday morning and will have a prolonged period of freezing temps in the area. Lows Friday 10-20F windy with chill factor -8 to -11. Take precautions... yada yada

Anyone in a camper for the next week or so and don't have a heated hose, roll you hose up and stick it in storage and fill your fresh water tank The stinky slinky is a whole nuther problem. If you can keep tanks from freezing I would just remove the sewer hose and put it in storage compartment and only hook it up to dump.

This weird winter weather is harder on areas that are normally not seeing these type temps as folks will not really know what to do. I went camping last year and temps got into the 20s at night and I don't think my city water hose thawed out for a day or two and I ended up using the fresh water tank. We usually use a small electric heater at night when temps get chilly and are OK and warm things for a few minutes in the morning with the camper's heater. Found that below freezing and we got cold up in the bedroom so I bought an electric blanket for those situations.

Cold ain't fun.

GEEZ,,, for all that bloviating wisdom I had forgotten to winterize the camper. Blew out the lines, drained hot water tank and put some anti-freeze in the p-traps. Have a small heater on to try and keep inside temps above freezing. It is going to get REAL cold.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:50 PM   #26
dalel2000

Ok. Firsthand experience of having survived multiple days in a keystone Laredo with glacier package. Yesterday and day before were below zero all day and above zero today but well below freezing. Overall, I would not want to do this again, but I would give a thumbs up for how it has performed in a really bad cold situation .

When the wind blew it was difficult to keep really warm. We had two space heaters and the gas heat. With no wind it seems to be fine. Uber blankets we were fine at night.

Battery performance drops to half. I have a battery monitor and it gives real-time stats and it was always around 50% or less until the temps reached above 5 or 10 degrees. I even but a thermal blanket on it and it was better but not great. Lights and stuff worked but it seemed like the gas heat blower was not working as well.

We left water running at all times and a trickle of the hot water. Continuous for three days so far and no issues. Gray tank completely open and no issues.

Blank tank gate valve was closed and I put antifreeze In with everything. Gate valve froze shut so I had to put torch heat on it and a small dent puller tool to get it open. So this is so far the one big issue. I was not ok with leaving it open since we need the stuff to breakdown.

Other issue is I could not keep the toilet water running and it did stop flowing after a couple days of really cold weather. I took the front plate off from the front of the stall shower and it not only help put heat into that area where more water lines and pipes exist, there is cut outs to the underneath space. Running a hair dryer on low, pointed into that hole really helped assist the underneath heating provided by the glacier feature. The toilet line defrosted after a few hours of this.

We also found a couple of gaps around the wooden frame border located at the head of the bed. We sealed those and much better.

One other thing. I have a keyless electric lock and we engaged the deadbolt portion and after a few hours of blowing wind and snow, we could not unlock it. I had to take it off from the inside to turn it. So now we don’t lock the deadbolt until we are sure it is going to be ok.

Again, not something we planned to endure but it has been ok not great. Anything above freeing would be just fine.
Old 12-23-2022, 09:50 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

Don't envy your staying in the RV while those temps are so low. I ran a small electric heater in my camper to keep the inside above freezing. It got down to about 10F last night and when I went up and checked things it was about 40F inside the camper which is fine. I checked my non-heater amps on the Progressive EMS and 6 without the heater on and 13A with it on highest setting. I would be concerned in a 30A camper to run two of those things and much of anything else.

One of the RV magazines had tips for cold weather heating and one was a propane heater that didn't need venting. I would be nervous and wonder how much propane would be needed for 3-4 days of really cold weather. Might have been RVLIFE.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:38 AM   #28
dalel2000

As mentioned earlier … I don’t recommend our situation, but the keystone camper has performed ok given the drastic situation.

We have 50 amp hookups so running two space heaters and a hair dryer works fine and we have been comfy other than the one day of nonstop winds at below zero — blankets kept us warm.

We also have a Westinghouse generator that I had to use in the middle of the night when the power was out for a couple hours. Not having power was my biggest concern and so glad we invested in the generator. I could run both space heaters but it would have cut our gen time in half, so we kept just one running as well as gas heat and a couple lights.

If we had been in a boondock situation I am fairly certain this would have been a no go very quickly. Full hookups is doable.