Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2022, 08:39 AM   #21
Greg1780

E Bike Rack

I purchased a Swagman (2) Place bike rack with two external locking systems for each Electric Bicycle. This is the only bicycle rack that I’ve found that’s certified a 5th wheel trailer. Price was around $500.00 but it’s quality built.
I had a Swagman bicycle rack but it was NOT CERTIFIED for a 5th wheel and it could only hold two bikes around 50 pounds.
Greg1780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
youngb

Bike rack on rear bumper

I know no one is going to agree with me but we have been carrying two ebikes 75 pounds each on the back or our cougar 5th wheel for years with no issues. We bolted on a 2 inch receiver rated at 300 pounds onto the rear bumper. If you think the bumper can't handle the weight of the receiver I would beg to differ on this. The key is to use a receiver that also has a bolt lock down that prevents the 2 inch receiver from jiggling around. We also use rachet tie downs on the outside ends of the bike rack attached to hooks I fastened to the trailer about 4 feet above the bumper. These help take some of the weight not much but stabilize the bikes from moving around and keep the rack stable. The bumper can take the weight in my opinion in fact we put the bike rack on the back bumper and had two men myself and a friend stand on the bike rack (over 400 pounds) and jumping up and down we saw no flex in the bumper. Anyway each to their own opinion but we have been travelling around for years this way with no issues and yes we inspect the welds on the bumper regularly and see no signs of stress. We also monitor the bikes when travelling with our rear view camera. Our friends that travel with us tell us when behind us the bikes do not move or bounce around and are solidly in place. One last thing we alos take the batteries out of the bikes when travelling to reduce the weight.
youngb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:03 AM   #23
Wantoride

We have 2 as well and found that after folded they fit just right in a Rubbermaid 40gallon trash can lid then they slide in and out of the back of the truck.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #24
The Old Fogies

Hollywood make agreat rack for e-bikes that is designed for RV's.
We have 2 Radrovers thst weight 74 lbs. each. Works good on the RV and we use it on the truck also. It's very sturdy and well made.
The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:32 AM   #25
Rogersn

If the Thule XT 2 can carry your weight, I’d consider it. We carry two ebike on ours. It locks to the receiver and the bikes lock to the rack all with the same key. I think it’s rated for 150 lbs. comes with ramps for loading but difficult for the second bike. I installed a camera to watch their action while travelling. Works pretty good !
Rogersn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:47 AM   #26
glendar10

E bike

We have 2 specialized e-bike and well they have no top bar. They weigh about 75 lb each. We could not find any rack for a rv to carry them and well like others say don’t want to lose them. We put are inside of the 30rls between the slides at the back end. We put moving pads under them and the cover them with another’s pad. It works not bad. We sometime put a rope around the clutch and the bikes to stop sliding or falling into tv, but bout fit not bad. We really can’t use bike carriers as bikes have fenders and no top bar so no real way to hold them on rack.
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 11:51 AM   #27
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendar10 View Post
We have 2 specialized e-bike and well they have no top bar........
Buy a bike bar for $35 that connects to handbar and seat stems https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 12-12-2022, 05:47 AM   #28
P&DZ

We purchased a Trek Verve+3 e-bike for DW last fall. It is 65lbs with the battery which we remove during travel. My bike is a standard hybrid road bike. We purchased the Swagman rack approved for e-bike and RV's from e-trailer. I I had previously added a 2" receiver to the bumper which appears to be very robust (maybe because it is an older TT?). We have not had any problems. I am considering a front mount option for the upcoming season.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 05:53 AM   #29
Kaptn Krabby

Back Seat

I just recently ordered a Lectric bike for my wife with the intention of getting one for myself later. I also have a new Ford F250 ordered with the intention of putting the folded bikes in the back seat area. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 12-12-2022, 08:02 AM   #30
{tpc}

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptn Krabby View Post
I just recently ordered a Lectric bike for my wife with the intention of getting one for myself later. I also have a new Ford F250 ordered with the intention of putting the folded bikes in the back seat area. Has anyone else tried this?
If you have a supercrew you can do this. I can do it with my F150 with the seats folded up. At least with the Lectric 1.0 bikes. The only consideration is stuff bumping up against in the interior. If your anal about the interior plastics of your truck, you will need to be very careful bringing them in and out, because really easy to scratch stuff. I also recommend moving blankets to toss over the top of them.

Lastly, I think a 250 is a little taller. If your going to be bringing them in and out yourself, it can take a little effort, but its not impossible.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:07 PM   #31
Kaptn Krabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by {tpc} View Post
If you have a supercrew you can do this. I can do it with my F150 with the seats folded up. At least with the Lectric 1.0 bikes. The only consideration is stuff bumping up against in the interior. If your anal about the interior plastics of your truck, you will need to be very careful bringing them in and out, because really easy to scratch stuff. I also recommend moving blankets to toss over the top of them.

Lastly, I think a 250 is a little taller. If your going to be bringing them in and out yourself, it can take a little effort, but its not impossible.
Yep, I am concerned about messing up something in the back seat area, especially in a new truck! I was looking into a cover for this area that would hopefully protect everything.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:31 PM   #32
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptn Krabby View Post
Yep, I am concerned about messing up something in the back seat area, especially in a new truck! I was looking into a cover for this area that would hopefully protect everything.
get one of these and a couple extra moving blankets to throw over them…kinda like a elevator wall protector ..additionally i guess you could seatbelt them to be safer in a accident to keep from flying around
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67E2051C-EA07-4AFA-879B-43695E2B3974.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	42452  
Old 12-12-2022, 01:48 PM   #33
Kaptn Krabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
get one of these and a couple extra moving blankets to throw over them…kinda like a elevator wall protector ..additionally i guess you could seatbelt them to be safer in a accident to keep from flying around
THAT is exactly what I have been looking at! Now, if I ever get my truck, I can check the dimensions of the back seat!
Old 12-12-2022, 03:50 PM   #34
Rogersn

Both our bikes are step through and no bike bar is needed. We had that on our Manhattan smoothie and would not trust it on these ebikes. Is your 75 pound weight with the battery? We remove our batteries for transport.
Rogersn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 10:39 AM   #35
Dembones

Bike racks

Go to e trailer.com. They have a bunch of bike racks and all of the specs on them as to what they are rated for. Very few are rated for the back of a fifth wheel. I just bought a Swagman E spec, rated for two 70 lb. Bikes.
Dembones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rack