Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2022, 08:59 PM   #1
GBGochColorado

Upgrading to Lithium Batteries

2018 Keystone Cougar 29RLD with a Furrion Solar Hook-up

Just quick fast question. Can I hook two 12v 100ah Lithium batteries up to the wiring that is already on my TT?

I have 2/0 welding cable and a 250-amp circuit breaker to go between the batteries and the Inverter.

Can I run the cable from the batteries directly to a 2000-watt inverter.

I've upgraded to a WF-8955-AD-MBA converter with 55A Output.

Also will the 100-watt Renogy solar suitcase panels be enough to keep the batteries up to par.
Thank You
Greg
GBGochColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:43 AM   #2
pasayten

Are these batteries replacing the existing batteries on your trailer? Not quite understanding your overall setup. I have a 2021 Cougar 26RBS that I upgraded from lead acid to 2 x 100ah Battleborn lithium batteries and upgraded the converter to a WFCO WF-9855LIS... Trailer also has 2000 watt inverter and 175 watt solar panels/charger already built in. System works great. I also added a Victron shunt to monitor battery status which helps management a lot.

2022 GMC 2500HD Sierra Denali Crew Cab Gas
2021 Cougar R26RBS
pasayten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 07:23 AM   #3
GBGochColorado

Yes they are. From 2 6v golf cart batteries replacing with 2 Enduro Lithium 12v 100ah LiFePO4 batteries.

Wanting to know if I have to replace the original wires to a larger gauge.

The big question is, can I run a connection from my batteries directly to my inverter? I have a 250amp circuit breaker and a shunt to install on the positive cable going to the inverter.

My Renogy 100watt solar panels have a solar charge controller.
GBGochColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:23 AM   #4
James/Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasayten View Post
Are these batteries replacing the existing batteries on your trailer? Not quite understanding your overall setup. I have a 2021 Cougar 26RBS that I upgraded from lead acid to 2 x 100ah Battleborn lithium batteries and upgraded the converter to a WFCO WF-9855LIS... Trailer also has 2000 watt inverter and 175 watt solar panels/charger already built in. System works great. I also added a Victron shunt to monitor battery status which helps management a lot.
Pasayten, In doing this upgrade did you add a battery shunt? I want to add one but Ill admit im a little confused since the ground from my battery only goes to the frame it does not go into the coach?
James/Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 10:14 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by James/Seattle View Post
Pasayten, In doing this upgrade did you add a battery shunt? I want to add one but Ill admit im a little confused since the ground from my battery only goes to the frame it does not go into the coach?
ALL grounds in an RV are tied together. The frame is the common denominator for all grounds.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:48 AM   #6
seanrmz

you fine with the 2/0 wire. I would add a cut off and a T fuse. Have you thought on going with 1x 200ah? I did just that also eliminates more wire and connections and space.

just my 2cents

sean

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VAzkwzXXGuV3J4Wm8
Old 12-02-2022, 07:47 PM   #7
fjr vfr

If you have a 250A circuit breaker between the inverter and batteries you are good.
The only thing that matters in the converter is the battery charger and whether it is compatible with lithium batteries. The remainder of the converter is straight 120v circuit breakers. You do need an ATS, (automatic transfer switch) for switching between shore power and your inverter.
When you ask about solar panels you need 400 watts anyway to be running a 2000w inverter in order to keep the batteries charged.
Google "Mobile solar power made easy" from Will Prowse. He wrote the book on DIY solar power.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote