Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #201
jasin1

would like to thank you all for your service
Old 08-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #202
CWtheMan

This is an USAF A-7 Corsair II on display at the Montrose, CO regional airport.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Montrose, CO regional airpoet. .jpg
Views:	83
Size:	291.3 KB
ID:	41182 Click image for larger version

Name:	1a Montrose, CO regional airpoet .jpg
Views:	125
Size:	287.5 KB
ID:	41183

Name:	1b Montrose, CO regional airpoet .jpg
Views:	141
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	41184 Click image for larger version

Name:	1c Montrose, CO regional airpoet .jpg
Views:	101
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	41185
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:50 AM   #203
CWtheMan

USS America (CV-66)

Nearing the end of my career in the USN, I made my last deployment aboard the USS America, as a member and maintenance chief for attack squadron 46 (VA-46) - (A-7E Aircraft). About halfway through our deployment in the Mediterranean Sea, our battle group was ordered to the Indian Ocean in support of increased US Naval operations in that area of the world. After a port call at Haifa Israel, we proceeded to the Suez Canal. The Egyptian air forces provided us with air cover for the transit.

The year was 1984 and here are pictures of our battle group on the way to the Red Sea.

Name:	figure.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	41589

Name:	10544_577820825571425_1769854690_n[1].jpg
Views:	111
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	41590 Click image for larger version

Name:	Suez 1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	41591
Old 10-12-2022, 11:12 AM   #204
CWtheMan

Davis-Monthan AFB

Out in the Arizona desert within the coffins of Davis-Monthan AFB at Tucson, AZ there is a huge US Military aircraft graveyard. Most of the aircraft there have met their limit for structural integrity and retired. However, hydraulic/pneumatic components, engine components, electrical/electronic components and flight control structures are salvageable. Sometimes when other countries like Taiwan purchase aircraft (A-7) from our government, many of the usable components from aircraft stored at DMAFB will be removed by skilled technicians and restored for sale to the foreign governments.

The aerial photo came from Wikipedia, the others were taken by me on a drive-through visit. DMAFB now provide van tours for the public.

When aboard DMAFB, aircraft of all kinds, restored for display, can be found around the base on display.

Name:	1 Wickopedia .jpg
Views:	121
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	41986 Click image for larger version

Name:	1a AZ - DMAFB .jpg
Views:	97
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	41987

Name:	1b AZ - DMAFB .jpg
Views:	106
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	41988 Click image for larger version

Name:	1c AZ - DMAFB .jpg
Views:	105
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	41989

Name:	1d AZ - DMAFB .jpg
Views:	115
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	41990
Old 02-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #205
jasin1

didn’t know where else to post this but thought it may fit here..guy still volunteers at the museum every saturday https://komonews.com/news/local/worl...100th-birthday
Old 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM   #206
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
didn’t know where else to post this but thought it may fit here..guy still volunteers at the museum every saturday https://komonews.com/news/local/worl...100th-birthday
There's a link in the story at the above post. It goes much deeper into the life and feelings Dick Nelms had when over Berlin during the war. Reading a bit more of his story only serves to whet anyone's appetite for even more details from the memories of one of America's true heroes. There aren't many of them left and they are dying faster than we can learn of their memories...

https://komonews.com/news/erics-hero...nk-to-history#

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:19 PM   #207
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's a link in the story at the above post. It goes much deeper into the life and feelings Dick Nelms had when over Berlin during the war. Reading a bit more of his story only serves to whet anyone's appetite for even more details from the memories of one of America's true heroes. There aren't many of them left and they are dying faster than we can learn of their memories...

Wow thanks for the link…makes me want to watch some old war movies..I only wish he was closer i’d go visit him at the museum
Old 02-19-2023, 06:31 PM   #208
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Wow thanks for the link…makes me want to watch some old war movies..I only wish he was closer i’d go visit him at the museum
My dad was on subs in the Pacific. He was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th. All he ever told me about his service was, "Boy, you never want to have to deal with those kinds of memories" and "I was in a hammock on the deck because it was too hot to sleep below decks. All hell broke loose and even the water was on fire." Other than that, it was only short bits and pieces that he'd give as answers to direct questions. I wish he'd have be able to open up and share what he'd never talk about, but kept bottled up inside until the day he died.

The few Air Force (Army Air Corps) airmen that I have been able to listen to have all had memories that give me pause to wonder if I'd be brave enough (or young and foolish enough) to go where they went and do what they did... And it wasn't once, it was day after day until they finally accomplished their mission and gave us peace, at least for a few years..... Heroes all who deserve to be honored and remembered.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 06:39 PM   #209
jasin1

Quote:
My dad was on subs in the Pacific. He was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th. All he ever told me about his service was, "Boy, you never want to have to deal with those kinds of memories" and "I was in a hammock on the deck because it was too hot to sleep below decks. All hell broke loose and even the water was on fire." Other than that, it was only short bits and pieces that he'd give as answers to direct questions. I wish he'd have be able to open up and share what he'd never talk about, but kept bottled up inside until the day he died.

The few Air Force (Army Air Corps) airmen that I have been able to listen to have all had memories that give me pause to wonder if I'd be brave enough (or young and foolish enough) to go where they went and do what they did... And it wasn't once, it was day after day until they finally accomplished their mission and gave us peace, at least for a few years..... Heroes all who deserve to be honored and remembered.
My grandfather was the same way…well i’m down a rabbit hole now,gonna watch this interview…have a good evening and thanks to all that have served
https://digitalcollections.museumoff...ems/show/45833
Old 02-19-2023, 06:49 PM   #210
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Obviously veering from RV topics; my FIL was in the 101st Airborne in WWII. He always wanted to be a pilot but he was color blind so that wouldn't work. Said airborne was as close as he could get. Back then devotion to our country ran deep. After landing in the 101st he asked to be sent to Germany. He ended up at the Battle of the Bulge not realizing what that meant at the time. Lost his toes from frostbite but SO proud of what they did (and you had to pull his teeth to talk about anything). This gentleman reminds me of him and what they gave for us - almost all of them are gone.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote