Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2022, 06:36 AM   #41
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffettfan View Post
No air suspension on this one.
Yep, it's a special order door.
Wife tried to drive through it last year. It took 6 months to get a new one.
The garage is part of the basement. If the builder had gone another course taller on the block walls, they could have used a standard door.
Well that just sucks, on all accounts.

Just curious, how much ceiling space do you have above the door? You only need a couple inches, they make low clearance door tracks. It wouldn’t be cheap, but you may be able to get a low clearance track, get a new header in above the door that increases the opening height. The cost saved for the carport can help justify the expense, plus the added security/convenience of being able to park in the garage. Also, future resale value of the taller door.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:16 PM   #42
Buffettfan

It might be possible, but the header is load bearing. The floor joists sit on it.
Then, the depth would be an issue.
I wouldn't be able to get to the far side of the truck with the door closed.
A 24x30x14 carport will cover the camper, with slides out, and the truck.
Knock on wood, crime isn't a problem in my area. Yet.
My son is a probation officer, and he does have some "clients" in the vicinity, but so far no problems in our neighborhood.
Buffettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 04:43 PM   #43
bsmith0404

Load bearing isn’t a big deal. The header that’s required depends on the span. Each city/county code will tell you what’s needed. You can get away with a smaller header by adding more layers with plywood sandwiched. For example, instead of two 2x12s, you could probably do three 2x6s or 2x8s with a layer of 3/4 plywood between.

I was surprised with the code in my area, I took out a load bearing wall on a two story house i had and put a beam across. I built the beam in place because it was so damn heavy. I used two 2x12s with a layer of 3/4 plywood to span 26’. The city told me I could have used 2x8s. Oh well, a little overkill never hurts. You’re only spanning 16’.

I’d do it in a heartbeat, but it’s something i could do myself and wouldn’t cost me that much. Sounds like you have it all figured out though, but something to think about in the future
Old 09-17-2022, 02:48 PM   #44
Buffettfan

It *could* be done, I can do all the work, it doesn't make $ense to do so.
I'd have to build a hell of a header, it could only be about 8" tall, max. Not even a steel I beam alone is rated for the load/span.
To move the wall to make the garage deeper would require another beam, move a bathroom, the laundry room and the utility room, i.e. furnace and water heater.
Again, I can do the work. I installed all the equipment, moved the laundry to it's current location and just remodeled the bath.
Our not-so-long term plans include a move south and a pole barn big enough for the RV, truck, shops, and anything else I want to keep inside.

Wife says we'll need a house, too. We'll have to see about that!

Terry, Teri and Lucy
2020 Premier 24RK
'22 Ram 2500
We are the people our parents warned us about.
Old 09-17-2022, 08:00 PM   #45
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffettfan View Post
Our not-so-long term plans include a move south and a pole barn big enough for the RV, truck, shops, and anything else I want to keep inside.

Wife says we'll need a house, too. We'll have to see about that!
That would be nice to have. I built a 32x32 garage/workshop, but haven’t built anything for the rv yet because of code limitations. I’m limited to 14.5’ total height, the RV is 13’4” That would require almost an flat roof and make any type of door difficult. Still debating on how I want to do it.

As long as you have the shop, you could do a tiny house to satisfy the wife.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:10 AM   #46
lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
My buddy has that truck, he loves it, CONGRATS.

Now I have another buddy who bought a F150 Eco-Boost.
After 2 trips he can't keep up to me on grades, he is pretty worried that he turns off his air, that upsets his wife as she melts...

I tried to tell him.
I have the Eco boost and a 24 ft trailer and have no problem going up Those steep hills
lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #47
Buffettfan

Just made our shakedown trip with the new TV.
What a difference!
Only 45 miles, but so much more comfortable. No sway, minimal bounce. About 50/50 interstate and 2 lane.
There wasn't enough semi traffic to see how the bow wave affects us yet. Never been disappointed in a lack of semis before!
Gas mileage with the 6.4 vs the 5.7 seems about the same.
I had hopes of better mileage due to the 14 year newer engineering.
So far, the only negative is the blind spot over my right shoulder when backing the trailer up while turning right.

Terry, Teri and Lucy
2020 Premier 24RK
'22 Ram 2500
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Tags