Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
Racer

50 amp plug in connection issues

The issue is that I am intermittingly losing power to my trailer. Everything including surge protector goes out. My 50 amp cord that goes into the trailer faces to the left when plugged into the RV outlet. The locken ring is striped from day 1 so that may be a reason the plug is a little loose but never had this issue until the past 2 weeks. I had to use a rope to tie from cord to ladder to apply pressure upward and so far no issues today but I work nights so I hope all is well at the trailer. It just seems with the cord facing to the left instead of downward that the weight is putting pressure on the male plug-in receptacle. Hope this makes sense? I did notice on the 50 amp female plug that there was a small amt of brown color stain from 1 of the openings as if maybe a short or not enough connector was there? Just seems odd that all of a sudden this issue pops up. I think it is poor design of the cord the way it plugs into the receptacle, been like that since I picked it up. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_061933.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	29785  
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:36 AM   #2
Northofu1

When plugged in the cord should hang straight down. I know on mine there are two small pins on the plug that fit into two grooves on the receptacle, to achieve this I have to push it in at a 10 o'clock position and then turn clockwise the stop at 12 o'clock.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:52 AM   #3
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
The issue is that I am intermittingly losing power to my trailer. Everything including surge protector goes out. My 50 amp cord that goes into the trailer faces to the left when plugged into the RV outlet. The locken ring is striped from day 1 so that may be a reason the plug is a little loose but never had this issue until the past 2 weeks. I had to use a rope to tie from cord to ladder to apply pressure upward and so far no issues today but I work nights so I hope all is well at the trailer. It just seems with the cord facing to the left instead of downward that the weight is putting pressure on the male plug-in receptacle. Hope this makes sense? I did notice on the 50 amp female plug that there was a small amt of brown color stain from 1 of the openings as if maybe a short or not enough connector was there? Just seems odd that all of a sudden this issue pops up. I think it is poor design of the cord the way it plugs into the receptacle, been like that since I picked it up. Thanks
I'm kind of confused - this is the third time you have written the exact same post and picture (original back on 9/04/20), and advice was given each time. Is there something I'm missing?
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 AM   #4
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocP View Post
I'm kind of confused - this is the third time you have written the exact same post and picture (original back on 9/04/20), and advice was given each time. Is there something I'm missing?

I work night shift out of town with Covid 19 and trauma patients 50-55 hrs. a week so I kind of forgot I had posted this question before/tired. Got some good answers and got it fixed. Thanks
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote