Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
aaron_huber

Billowing Roof Repair

I posted some pictures in an earlier thread about my roof membrane becoming detached and it's getting repaired this week so I thought I'd post some details and pictures in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Summary so far:
  • I first noticed the problem on the drive home from a long trip (Oregon to South Dakota).
  • No problems noted before then even though I was on the roof frequently before and during the trip.
  • I checked the front seal regularly and kept the roof clean, and added Dicor to any areas that looked cracked or loose.
  • The insurance estimator said he couldn't find any areas of the seal that looked bad and said he thought it was a manufacturing defect that wouldn't be covered due to the membrane not being glued down properly. I thought it was odd at the time, but he looked under the pinbox to see if there were areas there where wind could get inside.
  • Insurance eventually declined the claim saying that it was due to a lack of maintenance.
  • Two different repair shops (my dealer and a local RV collision center) said I'd need a completely new roof with estimates from $8-10k. The dealer said Keystone wouldn't cover it since it would be claimed as a maintenance issue.

Given all of that I decided to get it repaired with the FlexArmor system at https://pasco.rvroof.com/. It wasn't too far of a drive from home, and based on my research I liked their system a little better than the RV Armor roll-on system for two main reasons: They remove everything from the roof including the AC to make sure everything is fully sealed including replacing all components and re-screwing everything down, and the coating is a good bit thicker and stronger. Youtube videos show people jumping up and down on a skylight covered with the new coating, which I'm doing so I won't worry about needing to replace it ever. They also include a new AC seal and all new vent covers for the two regular vents and the MaxxAir fan, plus new tank vent caps. Basically, everything will be brand new and completely sealed by 3/16" of polyurea.

The shop owner at the repair shop says he sees roofs like mine frequently and it has rarely been due to an issue with the front seal. He says that air comes in the pinbox, runs along the front cap into the roof, and then out through the gap between two sheets of plywood roof where it bends around the roof radius. On mine since the membrane was removed you can clearly see the gap, and while the membrane was still on I could feel it and see it when on the roof. It was completely open to the inner roof and covered only by the membrane. The higher air pressure inside the trailer (or the lower air pressure above the membrane while driving due to the rounded shape like a wing) would be continuously pushing/pulling the membrane up and then it's just a question of how good the glue is holding it down.

I'm extremely impressed by the workmanship so far and everything is going exactly as described. I'll keep this album updated for anyone that has a similar issue and is interested in a sprayed on roof. The final cost will be significantly less than a new roof membrane, and it will be permanent with a lifetime warranty and no caulk anywhere that I need to do anything with. Worst case, if I need to replace any components, they can respray just that area to seal it back up like new.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/F7A9tGtyWdMGGZUQ7
Old 09-10-2020, 02:20 AM   #2
BrooksFam

Sounds like you are happy with the repair.
EAZ-Lift Recurve R3 #1200

BrooksFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:36 AM   #3
Csmccharlie

Whatd it end up running you
Csmccharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:29 PM   #4
aaron_huber

The repair is still in progress and I added some new photos today showing the main grey layer which is 3/16" thick. I'm surprised at how much more solid the roof feels with the new material on it. It's still very flexible and I can move it when I push on the rounded edges where there is no wood for example, but watching them walk on the roof it moves around much less than it used to with just the membrane. I'll feel much more secure when walking on it in the future.

They just started spraying the final white coating to provide UV protection and then they will do the edges by hand. Tomorrow morning they will re-install all the vents and the AC and I'll be on my way, and I'll put up some more pictures tomorrow showing the additional work and end result.

The cost is $170 per lineal foot based on the total length covered, so I'll come in well under the $10k estimated cost to replace the membrane with my 32 foot roof. It's not cheap but with a transferable warranty for the life of the trailer and a maintenance free roof that even large hail won't damage the "peace of mind" factor is pretty high.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #5
skids

Do you know how much the add weight will be?
It does look pretty nice.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #6
aaron_huber

I'm guessing the weight added will be about 100lbs per the estimate at https://rvroof.com/2018/01/31/rv-roo...s-competition/ and my roof size. They gave me a sample of the material and a few square feet of it was pretty light, but sprayed out over the whole roof it's still a lot of it.

I've posted the final pictures showing the end result and everything looks exactly like the photos on their web site which is always reassuring. I'd definitely recommend this for anyone who is close enough to one of their authorized dealers.

I told the shop owner today it had crossed my mind to just get this done on any new trailer so I don't have to worry about the roof maintenance and he said that they do have repeat customers who drive their new trailers to his shop straight from the dealer. I'm pretty sure I'd wait for something to go wrong with the original roof first, but I can understand people not wanting to mess with it.
Old 09-12-2020, 04:16 AM   #7
Vet4jdc

Great post and great pics! Thanks
Old 09-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
Ward_Andrus

Thanks

Thanks for sharing your story. I have a few small repairs to make, but your new roof looks much better than the original.
Ward_Andrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, roof repair