Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #1
TimSal

Location of fresh water tank on Cougar 27RKS

Does anybody know the location of the fresh water tank on the Cougar 27RKS 5th wheel? The fill connections are behind the left wheels. I am a little concerned if I fill the tank before towing as it would shift weight off the pin. Thanks.
TimSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

I have a 2008 27RKS 5th wheel and the fresh water tank is located behind the rear wheels towards the rear in the center of unit. If you look underneath in this area, you should see a plastic drain cock which protrudes slightly from the underbelly. This drain cock is at the rear of the fresh water tank. Hope this helps.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

We have a 290RKS , very similar floor-plan, and weather permitting I always carry about 1/3 tank of fresh water. The effect on pin weight is minimal but it does help reduce trailer bounce and balance the load on both axles considering that most storage is forward. Another plus is it makes pit-stops easier. I can't describe the location any better than Festus2 did.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
TimSal

Thanks for the response. The specs for the 27 RKS has the pin weight at 860 lbs. I know when you load the cargo area will add pin weight which will be positive, but adding fresh water would be lowering the pin weight which I would be concerned about.
TimSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

TimSal, I'm not sure where you got your figures, but I think Keystone specs say 860 empty on the pin. If you carry half the junk , I mean stuff, that I do your pin weight will end up being considerably more with very little on the rear axle. I have never heard of a 5r with too little hitch weight. I think you will be fine if you want to carry some water as long as you don't overload your axles or tires. Just adding the weight of the hitch brings you close to 1000 lb on your TV.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #6
Steersall4

mine is across the back end also. IF you ARE not making a long trip then I wouldn't worry about it. I seriously doubt you'd tell a difference having it full or empty unless maybe if you had nothing IN the trailer, empty gas bottles, and the weight of that water the ONLY thing. Like I said in another post, just HITCH UP, N Take Off !! So MANY Places, So little time !!

on long hauls I sure don't carry any thing in tanks but local camp outs, some times. water at 8.somthing lbs times # gallons? heavy !! sewage/gray water even more so.