Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
poohshaw

Pantry shelving

I hate the shelving in the pantry, what have others done to revamp it???
poohshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
GaryWT

What trailer do you have and what type of pantry? We put some small storage type bins to try to keep things somewhat organized but have not made any changes in ours.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
jsmith948

Try doing a forum search on 'cabinet mods'. Many of our members, myself included, have modified our cabinets by adding additional shelves. Some have opted for wire racks and/or drawers, while others have added plywood shelves.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
poohshaw

Pantry shelving

QUOTE, "What trailer do you have and what type of pantry? We put some small storage type bins to try to keep things somewhat organized but have not made any changes in ours."

We have a Cougar 27 RLS bumper pull. The pantry is left of the refrigerator, 4' high, 17" wide and 26" deep. [/SIZE]
Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
poohshaw

Pantry shelving

Thank-you. I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Try doing a forum search on 'cabinet mods'. Many of our members, myself included, have modified our cabinets by adding additional shelves. Some have opted for wire racks and/or drawers, while others have added plywood shelves.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:36 AM   #6
monica4patience

Smile

I've been using the Itso bins from Target. They're about $5 each, so not cheap. However, they are sturdy and durable. I organize by use: condiments; meat; fruit; soup; lunch; beverage; etc.

In our former trailer (2010 Keystone Outback 312BHS) they fit in the narrow pantry next to the fridge; one in back, one in front, and room along the side for other cans. Easy to slide one out to get the back bin.

In the new trailer (2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH) they fit 3 across this wider pantry, with other cans behind. I use a Sterilite bins with clips to store packaged goods (bread, grains, snacks, etc.) I like to keep the tempation away from critters.

I had purchased InterDesign fridge binz (Bed, Bath & Beyond) for using in our tiny pop-up fridge which was low on the floor. It was easy to pull out the "drawers" and get what you needed. Now we use them as "drawers" in the cabinets above the couch.

Look for versatility in your storage bins. Buy lots of the same kind. Buy only clear and white (or your neutral color). You can then use the bins anywhere, any trailer, any home. I have bins that are 30 years old and still usefull. Well worth the money I spent on them.

2014 Keystone Passport 3290 BH (6/14 - present)
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 310 BHS (7/12 - 6/14)

TV: none; seasonal w/ on-site winter storage
monica4patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
GaryWT

That is a nice looking travel trailer. What don't you like, height, thickness of shelves, the fact that there is no lip on the shelves? Let us know what you would like and someone might be able to help.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
I.plod

Pantry shelves

I'll post pictures later, but I ordered 4 pilasters ("standards") in 4 foot lengths from Hardware Distributors along with the clips.

I screwed the pilasters to 2 pieces of 4' length lumber shelving that we already had, stood them against the sides of the hanging closet. I purchased a 4' x 16" board for shelving at Lowes, then cut it to lengths that force fit the shelves to hold the sides in place.

There's no way that luan is going to hold any weight up, but the two side pieces do the trick.

I wish I had used the same shelving board to attach the pilasters to, it would have looked so much better. :/

Rectangular rubber made baskets serve as 'drawers' and keep things from tumbling around while towing.
I.plod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #9
kelleyranch

pictures please

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.plod View Post
I'll post pictures later, but I ordered 4 pilasters ("standards") in 4 foot lengths from Hardware Distributors along with the clips.

I screwed the pilasters to 2 pieces of 4' length lumber shelving that we already had, stood them against the sides of the hanging closet. I purchased a 4' x 16" board for shelving at Lowes, then cut it to lengths that force fit the shelves to hold the sides in place.

There's no way that luan is going to hold any weight up, but the two side pieces do the trick.

I wish I had used the same shelving board to attach the pilasters to, it would have looked so much better. :/

Rectangular rubber made baskets serve as 'drawers' and keep things from tumbling around while towing.

I.plod could you post pictures.
kelleyranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
bowchik

Lightbulb Kitchen cabinets mods

We have a 2015 Laredo 294RKS. The pantry doors are to the right of the refrigerator so they don not open fully as they are stopped by the slide frame for now we are using baskets (pain in the ?@#) but it works for now...anyone else have a different mod? pics?

The second issue is the shallow drawers at the end of the "island" we have thought about making new drawers/slides that are longer since there is sooo much dead space behind them now or my husband was thinking about taking the drawers out completely and making shelves on wheels that would roll back into the cabinet completely....not sure on this one even with it secured. Friends of our have a Forrest River trailer (floorplan identical to ours) with a cabinet that when you pull the handle the "drawers" come out as a unit, LOVE this and would like to replicate it. Anyone else have some ideas....hate this cabinet...LOVE our trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	NV308537_0[4471].jpg
Views:	123
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	19627
bowchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #11
cpaulsen

I added more shelves to every cabinet in the kitchen
Old 12-25-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

We have the 26RBPR. Great shelf space but no good hanging closet space. So, I took out one set of shelves in the Pantry and put up a coat bar so that we could hang all of our longer cloths. The DW really appreciates the added closet hanging space that is actually tall enough to hang dresses.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #13
notanlines

Hang dresses? Really? dresses? I’m not certain there’s a woman in the park who brings a dress to Florida for the winter. Church is slacks and blouse. If I have a tie in the closet it will be by accident.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:47 AM   #14
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
We have the 26RBPR. Great shelf space but no good hanging closet space. So, I took out one set of shelves in the Pantry and put up a coat bar so that we could hang all of our longer cloths. The DW really appreciates the added closet hanging space that is actually tall enough to hang dresses.
What year is your 26RBPR? We have a 2015 and we have so much hanging closet space!
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:43 AM   #15
German Shepherd Guy

So ours is a 2018. Yes there are lots of spaces but even the hanging closets next to the bed are not tall enough to hang a shirt or suit coat without dragging on the floor of the space. We show German Shepherds around the southwest and at dog shows all the women wear dresses and the men wear coats and ties. It is the uniform of the sport. Really big shows a suit is in order not just a coat & tie. Nothing says "Dog Shows" quite like a suit pocket full of "poop" bags or a nice evening dress with pockets full of dried liver. And of course all this fine clothing is nicely covered with a fine even coat of dog hair. We don't fill the pantries up so turning the one into a coat closet was perfect for our use.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:57 AM   #16
Bisjoe

We got a few rolls of this shelf liner and added it it to all of the shelves in our trailer. Things don't slide around on it. Late last summer we went to a wedding at a campground, and did have to pack a dress for my wife. We used an over-the-door hanging device and hung it on the outside of the bathroom door.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:48 PM   #17
TLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
If I have a tie in the closet it will be by accident.
You got that right.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote