Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2018, 05:44 PM   #1
andrewlairdmiller

Slide Out Topper

Just bought a 2018 Cougar Half Ton 26RBS. It does not have a slide out topper like my old 2007 class C. Do I need to spend the $600+ to have one installed? Sales guy said I do not need one but I do not trust sales people.

If it is needed, why did Keystone not have it in the design?

It is probably a best practice, but is it really needed and why?

Thanks!
andrewlairdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:47 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Needed? No, but others may disagree. There are advantages to them, and some drawbacks. I’m not going to say anything other than it’s a personal choice.

Let the debate begin!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Needed? No, but others may disagree. There are advantages to them, and some drawbacks. I’m not going to say anything other than it’s a personal choice.

Let the debate begin!
What are some of the drawbacks that you've come across?

Mine tends to pond water on it which isn't a big deal because it just spills off when you bring in the slide. However I can see over time it could stretch the awning and get worse. I've read where people put things under the awning like a beach ball to keep the water from ponding.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
What are some of the drawbacks that you've come across?

Mine tends to pond water on it which isn't a big deal because it just spills off when you bring in the slide. However I can see over time it could stretch the awning and get worse. I've read where people put things under the awning like a beach ball to keep the water from ponding.

I’ve seen them take on enough water, not to roll up and “shed” it. I’ve seen people drag them on trees etc, and at that point you end up damaging the slide. In some windy conditions they will flap and “sing”, you can’t stop it without retracting the slide.

I know I sound negative, but that’s why I say it’s a personal choice. I have no problem sweeping off my slides and so I will never buy them, YMMV.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Steveo57

I think it's a good idea. I had one installed on my new Cougar and it was the only optional thing I wanted. Just think about that slide coming in and having the top of it covered in whatever you didn't get cleaned off. I guess it depends on where you normally camp but if it's anywhere with trees and rain it seems like you'd be dragging in a lot of the outside into the trailer unless you climbed up on a ladder and cleaned off the top of the slide everytime.

Old 03-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
andrewlairdmiller

Thanks folks.

Do you recommend a certain brand?
andrewlairdmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

We install a lot of carefree.

https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree...=48&action=cfg

Old 03-29-2018, 06:15 PM   #8
rhagfo

Pros and cons
Pros
Keeps stuff needles and leafs off top of slide out
Keeps the slide out cooler shades the roof from direct sun
One more layer of protection from wind driven rain

Cons
They rattle in heavy wind.

We have Dometic on our 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
BigTexRex

Having had both, I prefer no topper because it sooooo much quieter when the wind is blowing.
BigTexRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlairdmiller View Post
It is probably a best practice, but is it really needed and why?
I posed this same question and the majority of those responding said it was well worth it for them.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=slide+topper

Skip ahead two years from our delivery date, I have no regrets. The toppers have held up nicely and still look like brand new. It's great to see the leaves, pine needles, and twigs fall off the toppers as they are retracted. They generally leave the slide toppers cooler on bright sunny days.

As far as wind noise, it's only happened once during deer hunting season as I had parked my rig against the tree line off a very large corn field. It was rainy and windy for the few days we hunted and you could hear the material flap in the wind. But I had no tree cover and no way to turn around my rig. Other than that, I've spent 60 days in the trailer in all conditions and never hear the toppers.

Carefree would be my choice of topper as that's what was installed on mine.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
Retired Copper

Agree there are pro and cons. They look nice and I like the look. They make the top of the seal hard to clean and put 303 on it. Thought about add one to new trailer but I find it easier to clean the top slide and the gasket. I just carry a blower and blow it off until I get it back home. I clean and 303 the seals several times a year.
Equalizer 4 pt.
Retired Copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:19 AM   #12
Tinner12002

I had them put on mine as a personal choice, verdict is still out on the cons, pros will be not having to get a ladder out and clean the tops of slides before running them in!
Another plus I'm thinking is when the RV is sitting with slides in they will keep water and snow from sitting on the top of the gasket or slide flange waiting to get in.
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 02:33 AM   #13
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
I had them put on mine as a personal choice, verdict is still out on the cons, pros will be not having to get a ladder out and clean the tops of slides before running them in!
Another plus I'm thinking is when the RV is sitting with slides in they will keep water and snow from sitting on the top of the gasket or slide flange waiting to get in.
Agree with you. I had them put on 2 of the 3 slides prior to taking delivery.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out