Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Terry&Carol

Slide topper too loose..

The dinning slide topper sags and is not a tight as the other 3 slides. Therefore when it rains it tends to sage even more and f course it pours toward the door making it a challenge getting in or out! So how do you adjust the topper? It is the longest slide of the four so I souls expect some sack but it sages to the point it touches the slide roof. Help...!
Terry&Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

There are a few videos on Utube about tightening the tension in slide toppers and awning but I can't remember the link to them. You might want to do a Google search about this topic and see what you come up with.
Over time, the fabric may stretch and the spring tension slackens resulting in drooping covers. There is one commercial product - one that you inflate and place between the roof and the fabric..... Again, I can't remember the name of it....Yikes!! That is 2 out of 2!
Help. I am having "senior moments"...."hours"??? "days".......
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
KanTC

Okay Festus, I'll help out on this one.

Here's previous threads on the same (& a similar) subject... and... apparently it's called an "Air Wedge"

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3409

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5527

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
Pappydude

I bought my three toppers at Camping World and living in Oregon - especially on trips to the coast, it rains once in a while. On the first outing I noticed that two of three toppers were sagging and water was running down the sides instead of off the front like I thought it should. I had to retrieve the living room slide numerous times to get the water off the topper. I called CW and they told me that this was "normal". I didn't like that answer and stopped by CW on my way home asking for them to review the adjustement. They said it was fine and suggested I use "beach balls" wedged between the topper and the roof. They had heard of a "wedge" of some kind but had no knowledge of where to find it. So I bought three beach balls of the same size and color - stuck them in place the next time it rained and they seemed to work. I'd recommend an adjustable pole to get the middle one out.....but someone has also suggested milk cartons with ropes. That might look a little tacky too - but hey, my beach balls have lady bugs painted on them and can be deflated when not in use! Now I have 9 of 'em....
Pappydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Problem solved and good lung exercise blowing up nine beach-balls. That would be at least a two beer job for me.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
therink

I had that problem on a slide awning on my previous trailer. I removed the ends and made about 3 turns on each roller end to tighten the spring. No more sagging from that point. The instructions were on the awning manufacturers website.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote