Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
far733

Entry Door Deadbolt Stuck in Locked Position

The deadbolt to the entry door to my new 2012 Cougar X-Lite 29BHS is stuck in the locked position. I am able to insert the key into the deadbolt key hole and turn it back and forth, but it is not moving the deadbolt. The trailer is currently in storage and it is not as level as I would prefer. It is leaning toward the passenger side. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I had the same issue when the TT was parked level in my driveway. Eventually, I was able to get it unlocked after numerous tries.

Any ideas? Thanks!
far733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Englishman

Have you tried spraying the lock with wd40 though the key hole? you may find this useful if you can get the lock open good luck.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5552036_unst...olt-locks.html

If you have kids see if one can fix though the laundry chute and open it from the inside.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
far733

I don't think that will fix the issue b/c the key turns freely. It just won't move the deadbolt latch.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Try leaning your shoulder on the door to push it in. You may, over the winter, have some corrosion on the dead bolt in its fitting in the door frame causing it to stick and the lock mechanism won't work properly. Lube the heck out of it through the keyhole and let it sit, then shoulder the door and see if it might work loose. Don't twist the key too hard, if it shears the mechanism, you're going to have to go through a window to get in.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
DJ85

We were told never to lock the dead bolt while in transit because the the up and down movement of the twisting and turning of the trailer could cause the dead bolt to break off. If you locked the dead bolt while towing the dead bolt could have broke internally. It doesn't help you to get the door open, but it could explain on maybe what happen.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
chuck&gail

IMHO just take it to a locksmith. They are magic.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ85 View Post
We were told never to lock the dead bolt while in transit because the the up and down movement of the twisting and turning of the trailer could cause the dead bolt to break off. If you locked the dead bolt while towing the dead bolt could have broke internally. It doesn't help you to get the door open, but it could explain on maybe what happen.
Thanks for the info - we weren't told of this when we picked up our RV
In fact, after reading some posts elsewhere in the forum, we have kept the deadbolt locked to prevent the entry door from coming open in transit?
Now we're wondering
We cam fold the step assist handle forward over the door but fear it will rub the finish off the trim

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
I would disagree with that logic, I keep both locks locked in transit to make sure the door doesn't fly open! If the door flexes so much as to damage the bolt you have bigger issues!

Once you get is open lube the latch, dead bolt and strike plates with paraffin (candle wax) things work smoother and nothing gets on your clothes.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Halibutman214

Not that it helps your current situation but I was also also told to use the deadbolt when going down the road which makes sense to me. Not sure who the lockmaker is for Keystone but I was locked in the bathroom for an hour. The knob turned but did not engage the latch. Luckily I had my cell phone and called for a rescue. I was wondering why the gap above the bathroom door but now I know... it's to pass a screwdriver through.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
SteveC7010

If your door latch assembly looks like this:

And your key looks like this:

It is probably a FIC lockset. Their website is located at:
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/products/default.html

You can order key blanks, pre-cut keys, and complete latchset assemblies. You can even get the latchset keyed to match your existing keys if you know the key number. They are all on the page linked above.

Contact their customer service. They may be able to help you solve the deadbolt problem.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
rjsurfer

Complete assembly....http://www.fastecindustrial.com/prod...ush_Slam_Locks
rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #12
DJ85

I was told by a service tech to not lock the door with the dead bolt because it could break off while in transit. The way I figure it is if someone that has had to repair this kind of concren before, they should know what his talking about. And I know one thing for sure I won't be happy if I get to my camp site and I can't get the door open because the dead bolt broke off. If you lock the dead bolt happy trails. I am going to take the other road on this one. just my 2 cents worth.

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by far733 View Post
The deadbolt to the entry door to my new 2012 Cougar X-Lite 29BHS is stuck in the locked position. I am able to insert the key into the deadbolt key hole and turn it back and forth, but it is not moving the deadbolt. The trailer is currently in storage and it is not as level as I would prefer. It is leaning toward the passenger side. I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I had the same issue when the TT was parked level in my driveway. Eventually, I was able to get it unlocked after numerous tries.

Any ideas? Thanks!
If its new call your dealer and get your warranty coverage to replace.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:

Any ideas? Thanks!
Quote:
Quote:
I was told by a service tech to not lock the door with the dead bolt because it could break off while in transit. The way I figure it is if someone that has had to repair this kind of concren before, they should know what his talking about. And I know one thing for sure I won't be happy if I get to my camp site and I can't get the door open because the dead bolt broke off. If you lock the dead bolt happy trails. I am going to take the other road on this one. just my 2 cents worth.
I think I will ask but have never been told, I locked both on my old 86 King of the Road with aluminum siding and wood frame and if something was going to flex and break the lock that would have.
Tough call, if my grab bar would swing and lock over the door I might consider it, but myself I will continue to lock both. If my fiberglass side wall is flexing that much in transit, I would expect to see cracks very soon. At about $30 I might just carry a spare, and keep the necessary tools to remove in an exterior storage compartment.
Once you get it opened I would check the alignment of the dead bold to the strike plate in the jam, sounds like a tight fit.

Question to the OP
Were you able to open the door any time during this storage period?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
far733

I took it out camping over the weekend a couple of weeks ago. Prior to leaving for that trip, I had the same issue while it was parked in my driveway. Eventually it opened. When I parked in in storage (between trips) I locked both locks. I went to get back into the trailer, but could not get the deadbolt to unlock. Again, there is no sticking when I turn the key; it turns freely. The deadbolt just won't move or release when I turn the key.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #16
rhagfo

Quote:
I took it out camping over the weekend a couple of weeks ago. Prior to leaving for that trip, I had the same issue while it was parked in my driveway. Eventually it opened. When I parked in in storage (between trips) I locked both locks. I went to get back into the trailer, but could not get the deadbolt to unlock. Again, there is no sticking when I turn the key; it turns freely. The deadbolt just won't move or release when I turn the key.
Sounds like it is sticking to the strike plate, adjust the plate and with the dead bold in the out position rub with a piece of paraffin. Paraffin is the best dry lubricant you can buy!
If the Dead Bolt assembly was broken it would not work at all!
Old 05-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
SAABDOCTOR

Have to agree with Ragafo. got to be lubed up parfin or graphite. lock ease is also a grea product spry or squeese bottle. i prefer the spray ,gets in deep cycle the key a few times. then check the alignment to the slot if the bolt is rubbin on the side of the striker plate it will be hard to turn. i lube all the locks twice a year, before i put it away and when I wake it up in the spring.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #18
michol02

One of the first things I did when I bought my trailer was replace the FIC lock with a Trimark lock. I used to work on these locks every day at my previous job, and the Trimark locks are a much better lock and harder to break into(pick). You can find one at Tweetys.com for $42, or they may be cheaper somewhere else. The manufacture part# is 060-0251. It replaces the original lock with no modifications.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
bennydog

Our trailer has two doors and they were keyed different. I've finely tired of picking the wrong key to open a door so thought I'd look into getting them keyed the same. After 4 lock smiths told me they would not work on the FIC locks I went looking for other solutions and found this. I'm told that they are a direct replacement for the FIC locks that are there now. I ordered 2 and they will be keyed the same and they can't be opened with the little red master that all the sales folks have. They also have keys with LED's in them so you can find the door at night. Just ordered them yesterday so I'll come back and let you all know how they work out.

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/Global...TTL-43900-2006
TTL-43900-2006

Security Upgrade !
Travel Trailer Lock with 900 Secure Series Cylinders Black

900 Secure Series Entrance Lock- New Series key code that does not previously exist.

This is a Non-Mastered Key Code Series That is Not Accessible With Any Master Key Already in the field.

To have the Locks keyed to a specific code, Just put a note in the Special Instructions box at Checkout.

SKU No.: TTL-43900-2006
Availability: in stock
SALES UNIT: Pieces
Price: $22.00
Attached Images

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #20
bennydog

Just an update...the new locks came today and as advertised "direct replacement" Took about 10 minutes on each door to R&R. They are all keyed the same and off the master.

2010 Cougar 24RKS
2012 Dodge RAM 2500
6.7 Turbo
bennydog is offline   Reply With Quote