Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
srbays

Replacing Cooling Unit in Dometic Refrig.

Our cooling unit in the 2006 29BH died over Easter Weekend and we are planning to replace the cooling unit, not the 'frig. Anyone have personal experience with one or more of the multiple rebuilders on the web?

We have choices starting at $350 ++ for remanufactured, $625 ++ all new, and are leaning towards the "reman" as a learning experience, but would welcome any input from an experienced hand.

Thanks
srbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Johnnyfry

Refrig

I have not been faced with this problem, but refurbed makes sense to me.

Unlike a home frig these units have no moving parts to wear out. I assume that they replace the burner unit and circuit board, what else is there? Possibly the ammonia sealed part has gone or has leaked ( or been run way off level for an extended period)

It could simply be the circuit board which you could probably replace yourself.

They are available from Dinosauer electronics for about $150

IMHO

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
srbays

John,

This is almost certainly the pre-charged cooling unit; I "jumpered" the heating element, which had the right impedence and drew the proper current, and ran the unit 12 hours without any cooling evident on thermometers in both cabinets. This is the test Dometic uses according to the manual.

Per the video on the web, changing the cooling element isn't difficult, just messy and time consuming. I was really hoping to get a testimonial on one of the numerous rebuilders out there, but after this experience I'll be able to write one for the next Keystoner who asks!

Thanks for your input.
srbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
rhagfo

I needed to replace the cooling unit on my old 86 King of the Road. Looked around the web and made a few phone calls, this is were I got my unit from and if I need another will go back to this outfit.

http://rvcoolingunit.com/Default.aspx

Unit came well packaged, they are easy to replace, hardest part is finding room to lay the refer down in your rig. Price was reasonable.
The best part is I very seldom needed to have the refer set above ther lower settings to have the freezer at 0 to -10 degrees.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
bdaniel

I replaced the cooling unit in my Wildcat a few years ago. If you can change the oil in your car, you can change out the cooling unit. It really was not hard.

I think I used the same company. They even included a tube of mastic that is used to make a good connection between the cooling unit and the fridge.

Just remember to check for leaks when you reconnect the propane line. A little detergent in water works great for that.

Bobby
bdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote