Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #1
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Converter

Our 2010 Cougar 327RES is in the shop for body repair caused by a tire blow-out. We asked them to check our converter because the interior lights have been dimming. They say it is shot. My questions is: Can I buy a converter at Camping World (how much are they?) and replace it myself??? Is it an easy install or do I let the shop fix it for $350. Are there different sizes? If so, what size to I buy? Bring on the advice; love all the experience this forum provides.
Tom and Kelley Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Kelley Crawford View Post
Our 2010 Cougar 327RES is in the shop for body repair caused by a tire blow-out. We asked them to check our converter because the interior lights have been dimming. They say it is shot. My questions is: Can I buy a converter at Camping World (how much are they?) and replace it myself??? Is it an easy install or do I let the shop fix it for $350. Are there different sizes? If so, what size to I buy? Bring on the advice; love all the experience this forum provides.
You probably want to do some reading on this website: http://www.bestconverter.com/

If your converter is shot, you have a number of options and upgrades to consider and a number of manufacturers to select from.

Personally, I would not buy an item like this from CW as their selection is limited at best and I don't consider their staff to be at all in the know about things technical. You are far better off talking to the folks at bestconverter.com.

If you read some of info over there, you'll see that the converter is a pretty straightforward swap out, even if you're upgrading from what you have now.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
Ruffus

Converter

Seems to me that someone ought to be looking into a possible recall on these converters. I've been RVing for the better part of 40 years and have never had one go bad until last year on my 2010 Sprinter. After talking to other Keystone owners there are a lot of them that have had converters go out. Luckly I had an extended warranty so it cost me $50. And to be fair I was fulltiming when it did go out but i think they should last longer than a year. Just my 2 cents worth.
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Tom and Kelley Crawford

Steve, Thanks for the link, I called Randy and ordered a converter from him with a 3 yr warranty. The one that was installed by Keystone had a two year warranty and that expired two months ago. Amazing how that happens. The repair shop wanted over $300 for the converter plus labor to install it. Randy says we can do it ourselves in 5 minutes and he sold us a better converter for half the price. I love this forum. Thanks again.
Tom and Kelley Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote