Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Outdoor kitchen burners.

Those burners are about useless. Not only do they not have enough BTU’s to boil water it took forever just to brown a pound of hamburger.

Has anyone replaced it with either a stronger burner or a hot plate? pics or info would be greatly appreciated.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 02:35 PM   #2
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Those burners are about useless. Not only do they not have enough BTU’s to boil water it took forever just to brown a pound of hamburger.

Has anyone replaced it with either a stronger burner or a hot plate? pics or info would be greatly appreciated.

I had the Capital Grill in our outdoor kitchen and found it to be about as useful as what your are replacing as far as heat goes.

I replaced it with an Atwood 3-burner cooktop. No problem at all generating the heat to boil, fry etc. Not sure the room you have, but each cooktop I looked at provided cutout dimension requirements. This one was a tight fit, but managed to expand the existing hole large enough to accommodate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1530.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	29778  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

We have never had an issue with ours, even when running the NexGrill off the splitter and wife cooking inside at the same time. I use it every morning camping (45 days this year and counting) to brew an old-school percolated 12 cup pot of coffee on one burner and making toast or cooking up bacon on the other burner. Maybe there is something else going on with the gas supply?
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
Mastrblastr

Same here Brantly. My outdoor kitchen burners are cold too. Takes forever to boil water or cook anything. I’ve added it to my to-do list. Gotta be something out there to replace these useless burners.
Old 09-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #5
Mikelff

You do realize these outdoor burners are low pressure burners? Mine seem to work ok for cooking breakfast but to boil a large pot of water, not so much. I have a Coleman camp stove I originally bought for Boy Scout camp outs when I was a Scoutmaster, but now use it when I need extra burners. Let me tell you this thing cranks out some BTU’s. Boils water in a heartbeat. I also have a high btu burner for a turkey fryer if Im doing large pots of stuff like gumbos, stews, or a fish fry. On top of this I have my portable fold up grill. I think I’m set for outdoor cooking, lol.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Mikelff

An additional note, if you replace your outdoor kitchen cook top it needs to be a low pressure cooktop or you will be very disappointed when you fire it up. I had a friend plug into his gas outlet by his outdoor kitchen to run his new outdoor grill. He complained he couldn’t get any heat hot enough to cook. He was told by the RV salesman that he could do this. First mistake! He ended up taking the grill back. He told me about this a couple weeks later and I told him it’s not the grill. He was trying to use a low pressure system on a high pressure grill! The regulator by your propane tanks is a dual regulator, high and low pressure. Really the only thing high pressure is your furnace. Everything else is low pressure. Amazing how many people don’t know this but if no one ever explains this to them, how are they supposed to know? Now you know. Hope this was helpful.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
An additional note, if you replace your outdoor kitchen cook top it needs to be a low pressure cooktop or you will be very disappointed when you fire it up. I had a friend plug into his gas outlet by his outdoor kitchen to run his new outdoor grill. He complained he couldn’t get any heat hot enough to cook. He was told by the RV salesman that he could do this. First mistake! He ended up taking the grill back. He told me about this a couple weeks later and I told him it’s not the grill. He was trying to use a low pressure system on a high pressure grill! The regulator by your propane tanks is a dual regulator, high and low pressure. Really the only thing high pressure is your furnace. Everything else is low pressure. Amazing how many people don’t know this but if no one ever explains this to them, how are they supposed to know? Now you know. Hope this was helpful.
I think you might be a tad confused.... The gas plumbing under your trailer, that connects to the regulator and to each of your appliances/gas outlets are all "one pipe"... There is no "dual pressure system" in a single pipe under any trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I think you might be a tad confused.... The gas plumbing under your trailer, that connects to the regulator and to each of your appliances/gas outlets are all "one pipe"... There is no "dual pressure system" in a single pipe under any trailer.
This /\ /\ When I use my big burner for a shrimp boil I always disconnect a tank and re-connect the burner regulator directly to it... my burner has a 10 psi regulator on it.. The trailer line is 11 inches of water or less than 1/2 a psi..
Old 09-21-2020, 04:20 PM   #9
Brantlyj

Quote:
I plug my Blackstone into the same outlet that crappy stove plugs into. No problems with the Blackstone.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
I plug my Blackstone into the same outlet that crappy stove plugs into. No problems with the Blackstone.
I'd pull the burners (if possible) and check for soot
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #11
NH_Bulldog

Agree that everything after the tank regulator is the same pressure; stoves, oven, refrigerator, furnace and water heater.

I run my grill (NexGrill) and stove (Suburban) outside with no issues. The wind has never blown the stove flame out and I have no issues with burner performance. Given the jet engine noise the furnace and water heater make when running, if you can’t get the stove to boil water there is an issue with the stove.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
In addition to checking the stove for soot or other obstructions, also check the air mixture valve. Too little air produces a cool/cold flame at the burners. Also, a crimped or bent/buckled gas tube from the control valve to the burner will do the same.... Your burners on that stove are rated at 5600 BTU, so they should get as hot as the 5600 BTU burners on the inside stove...

I believe "it's a stove malfunction" not a "stove problem"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:21 PM   #13
GordKey22

outside burners

My Keystone has a 2 burner stove in the outside kitchen.

This season I have used it fro coffee, toast, bacon, eggs.
No problem.

One thing that I had done was to move the propane outlet a bit further toward the front of the trailer a bit closer to the outside line of the body.
Just to make it easier for me to access. I was struggling with its original position underneath.
GordKey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:32 PM   #14
Brantlyj

Quote:
In addition to checking the stove for soot or other obstructions, also check the air mixture valve. Too little air produces a cool/cold flame at the burners. Also, a crimped or bent/buckled gas tube from the control valve to the burner will do the same.... Your burners on that stove are rated at 5600 BTU, so they should get as hot as the 5600 BTU burners on the inside stove...

I believe "it's a stove malfunction" not a "stove problem"....
I’ve got about 3 weeks left on the one year warranty portion so maybe I’ll just bring it in and let them figure it out.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:48 PM   #15
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordKey22 View Post
My Keystone has a 2 burner stove in the outside kitchen.

This season I have used it fro coffee, toast, bacon, eggs.
No problem.

One thing that I had done was to move the propane outlet a bit further toward the front of the trailer a bit closer to the outside line of the body.
Just to make it easier for me to access. I was struggling with its original position underneath.
I bought a 10 foot, 3/8 flare to 3/8 flare gas hose, added a "T" at the gas line to the furnace and connected the outdoor cook top directly to that. Now I no longer have to get on my knees to route the hose and hook up the quick connect fitting, as a plus I now have 2 quick connect fittings for my gas grill and fire pit.

-Brian
Old 10-01-2020, 07:42 AM   #16
ckittila

Outdoor Grill Gas Ports

I had a problem with low flame on my outdoor cooktop. It turns out that the quick connector had some dirt that collected in it. I cleaned the port with a jet squirt of water and a Q Tip. It fixed my problem.
We now take care to put the yellow cap on the port before we pull out. It keeps the dirt out.
ckittila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #17
Miloski

Well at less you have a burner I have a bq grill that you can't use unless you want to catch the trailer on fire. If you buy a Keystone with a kitchen their useless/****less unless you redesign them.
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #18
apachewolf

Quote:

Yes. We bought an induction cook plate. We use it in and out, MUCH better than propane. I actually disconnected the stove top inside and use the "oven" to store my pots and pans. An induction cooker will run you anywhere from $ 49-to $ 100.00 so read the reviews and choose wisely. It heats up super fast and there is no open flame to worry about. Controlling the heat is VERY easy and you don't have the grease that comes with an open flame.

Happy camping.
apachewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:18 PM   #19
Cougardad

I had the same issue and discovered that you can’t use a grill with a regulator because the gas quick disconnect under the coach is already regulated. So, two regulators do not make a right. I bought some fittings for my Weber Q and followed a YouTube video to remove the regulator. It works perfect now!
Cougardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 01:38 PM   #20
Summergirl

We converted our Nexgrill bbq to work with the quick connect.
It is fantastic. Sure beats the Aussie grill that came with it.
The stove heats water quickly as well. You may want to check your line for leaks or crimps.