Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
BeagleMan

Need a list.

Afternoon Gents. New RVer here. Some background. We are and have moved from Missouri to Alabama. Have a house all set to buy in 3-4 months. COVID took my career away at Cabelas and I am taking my new bride south. Wife had a great idea, instead of living in a rented house in bad neighborhoods, N-Bham, we decide to buy this Outback 260UML to live in instead. So, we are in a our RV site and will get the jobs needed and time under them to get mortgage for house in 2021. In the meantime, I need to know everything i can regarding this RV. We are in a full service site, 30 Amp-Wifi-Cable-Water-Bath Houses, Laundry. I just need to know I am doing everything possible to know more about this rig. We went through Bill Thomas RV in Wentzville, MO. Was given the tour, tutorial, the whole spiel. How to connect this and that, Propane operation, filled tanks, proper amperage use et al. Just going to post a series of questions and let you guys have at it. Just want to make sure my new bride is as less stressed as possible. Please bear with me and I will continue to use this thread as my own educational tool. Thanks. Here we go....

1. Cable. There is a port on my RV and a port on the post, have a coaxial cable screwed in both ends and TV is iffy. Only getting like 4-5 very boring channels. Is this something I need to discuss with the Mgmt? Something else I need to do?

2. Says it has Site-wide Wifi. It does and its not bad, although Unsecured. How do I rectify this? I do have a Linksys N300 Router from my previous home, can I use that? Also have a Net Gear Booster. Does that help or hinder in obtaining these Site's wifi signals? We use 2 phones and laptop.

3. Black and Grey Tanks. I know how to fill them, maintain them in a simple way, what I would like to know is when we are camped here, when or how much time passes to empty the tanks? Is there a gauge or something that could tell me when I need to empty them? Or is there a time element to dump them? Grey is 60 gal Black is 30 and Fresh is 60 gal. Memory fails me, but not sure what the fresh tank is for. Something tells me we will be dumping them today since we have been here for 3 days.

4. What is the best way to maintain the 30 Amp usage? Example, I need to turn off X to run Y, do not run Y to run Z, what? Wife sometimes uses a blow dryer and so far she has tripped the breaker twice.

We will be here 3-4 months. Do we need to: Every couple days, take in the slide, lube the cables. Run awning in and out once a week? twice a week? Do not want it being "set" or something. Whats the best way to maintain these 2?

5. Charging Stations. We currently have chargers for the 2 iPhones one for the Laptop (Brand New Acer). One charger for a Dust Buster small vac. Chargers for our 2 Vapes, Do we.....Take them off when the item is charged? Can we leave them on all the time, like my laptop?

6. Where can I get a schematic for the under carriage for my RV? I would love to see the locations, wiring design, where everything is located under the floor, behind the walls et al of my RV. Is there a place I can get one?

So far, everything has been going very good. A small cabinet door above TV come loose, no problem, installed some anchors and good to go. Door pane covers are a little loose and tightened them with additional matching screws. Hinge arm on outer door came off, just screwed it back on. Nothing big. Need a praying emoticon here.

If all ya'll can think of anything else I am missing, please include them Thank you so much.

AC
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the world of RVing. Covid put holes in my kids' lives as well.

Cable. On mine you put the source to TV then choose cable. Scan for channels. You have to do that at every campground/new location. Does yours have Key TV (by the way what year is it, new?). If not there is a booster button somewhere that needs to be be depressed if I recall (others will be more in depth I rarely use TV).

Site wide wifi....is subjective at best at various locations. If you want to read an email, probably good. Watch Netflix doubtful. I doubt you can use your router behind the existing router. I do have 2 wifi extenders I take with me to strengthen wifi signals at times. Your booster should do the same thing.

Tanks. You probably have a 60gal freshwater tank, 2 30 gal. gray tanks and a 30gal. black tank. I'm 99% sure you don't have one 60gal gray tank. You will also have 2 gray tank pull handles. One will be by the black tank pull and the other will probably be back toward the tires somewhere - they can be hard to find.

If it's new there is probably a little monitor panel on the wall with buttons to depress under each of the tanks along with the battery. On the virtual walk thru it was not visible so I figure it is behind the bathroom door in the living area. They are famous for being inaccurate and I never use them anymore. If they are 30 gal. tanks and there are 2 of you figure 3 days. At that point on a new trailer I wait for the bathroom gray tank to get completely full, always when I'm taking a shower, to know exactly when normal usage is going to fill it, note that, then drain on a schedule prior to that. I dump all of them at the same time dependent on how quick the bath gray tank fills which is always the first one.

Utilizing the 30A. With todays RVs stuffed full of power hogs 30A requires some working with. The first thing I would do, if you haven't, is purchase an Electrical Management System (EMS) to plug your trailer into. Either get a hardwired one inside the trailer or a unit with a remote for the inside so you can actually watch as you kick on various items to see exactly what they are doing to your usage. IMO it's the very best way to go vs just guessing and waiting for the breaker to flip.

Slides. There are some recommendations to exercise the slide(s) weekly. Obviously when you are living in it that is not realistic IMO. I stay in mine 3-5 months at a time and don't pull them in; they work just as well when I do that as when I run them in and out daily on a traveling trip. I'm assuming you have cable slides. If I were you I would go online and print out the Bal Accuslide installation, maintenance and adjustment manuals. If they are set up correctly now you just need to keep an eye on them going forward and know what to look for per the manuals. There are also lots of posts/threads pertaining to them, adjusting them etc. Just search when you have time.

Charging stations. I remove anything with a rechargeable battery like cells, vacuum, weedeater etc. I do leave my laptop plugged in all the time. You can leave the charging station connected because it won't pull a load unless there is something plugged into it drawing power.

Schematic. There are none. Hopefully you will never need to know the exact route, placement etc. of all the wiring and plumbing. If you do for some reason it will be a learning experience. Fixtures, appliances and plumbing are all basically the same but how the various wires and pipes are ran to accomplish that is generally a one off on each trailer.

Other stuff. Black tank flush. If you've used it and it worked great. If not, they many times present a problem. It's usually the backflow preventer probably located under your bathroom sink. If the flush won't work or leaks water post back.

Leaks. Once hooked up go under the sinks and make sure all connections are tight. If you aren't hooked up yet do it before you are.

Awning. Run it in/out whenever you want. The biggest thing is to pull it in anytime you won't be there, even for an hour, because one gust will ruin it. It probably has the autodump feature but if my last ones, when it dumps it pops loud enough to make you jump out of your skin. Just take one corner and adjust it down so the rain will run off.

Water. Any time you leave the RV turn off the water. If something lets go while you are absent the damage can be tremendous. Water, and the construction of an RV, are very much enemies. Along with water, get a good, adjustable water pressure regulator...with a gauge. Water pressures vary greatly from park to park and sometimes in the same park.

There will be more and others will chime in. Any questions or problems feel free to post and ask right away.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #3
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
<clip>
3. Black and Grey Tanks. I know how to fill them, maintain them in a simple way, what I would like to know is when we are camped here, when or how much time passes to empty the tanks? Is there a gauge or something that could tell me when I need to empty them? Or is there a time element to dump them? Grey is 60 gal Black is 30 and Fresh is 60 gal. Memory fails me, but not sure what the fresh tank is for. Something tells me we will be dumping them today since we have been here for 3 days.
<clip>
It all depends on how much waste water you produce. You should have a gauge where you push a button and it illuminates a few lights indicating how full the tank is (one button for black, one for gray). Keep the valves closed until ready to dump. For the black, you can typically tell when it's getting full by the sound you hear when you flush the toilet. If the gray tank gets too full it usually backs up in the shower.

Dump the black first and use your tank rinse (if you have one). Then close the valve to the black tank and open the gray valve. This will also serve to flush out the drain hose of any solids that remain. Getting a clear adapter to go between the trailer connection and your sewer line is beneficial as you can see if things are flowing clear from the black tank.

Question: Did the tech not show or discuss this on your PDI?

Quote:
<clip>
4. What is the best way to maintain the 30 Amp usage? Example, I need to turn off X to run Y, do not run Y to run Z, what? Wife sometimes uses a blow dryer and so far she has tripped the breaker twice.

<clip>
Others will probably say the same - get an Energy Management System. Mine (the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C) has a readout and indicates the current draw. You will have to learn to turn things off and on to balance your current draw, and having a meter to show what is being used is helpful (to me, at least). It has benefits beyond just showing current draw, however. It acts as a surge suppressor, monitors line voltage and frequency as well as verifies proper connection polarity-wise to shore power.

Best wishes!

Edit: I type too slowly! Danny beat me to it.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:32 PM   #4
BeagleMan

Thank you, sir.

This is a 2019 Outback 260UML.

Have not looked in the back of TV yet. But, I will after this post. Its not a Key TV, i dont think. Just says Furrion. Has a radio and DVD player, not sure how that operates yet since I have not tried it.

I have a Camco 55301 Amp Power Defender on the post now. I take it that is not exactly a EMS, but will it do for now?

Appreciate the Manual suggestions, that will get done.

Yes, then, Laptop will be the only one on full time.

You are right about having 2-30gal tanks. Signed on panel as Gray 1 and Gray 2. Gray 2 is sitting on 1/3rd full. I am thinking Grey 1 is Bathroom Sink/Shower and we have not used Shower yet, just the bath houses.

Panel says Black is 1/3rd full. Flush out at 2/3rds?

Have the Water regulator. Pressure hooked up good and no problems.

Thanks for your input, sir. Let you know. Now, to Summit Pond.

AC
Old 09-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
markcee

Quote:
3. Black and Grey Tanks. I know how to fill them, maintain them in a simple way, what I would like to know is when we are camped here, when or how much time passes to empty the tanks? Is there a gauge or something that could tell me when I need to empty them? Or is there a time element to dump them? Grey is 60 gal Black is 30 and Fresh is 60 gal. Memory fails me, but not sure what the fresh tank is for.
AC
The freshwater tank is used to store water for use if you were at a campground not equipped with a 'city water' hookup. Water is drawn from the tank by turning on your trailer's water pump. The water pump is not needed when connected to a site with a 'city water' connection.

Even if you do not ever plan on camping at a site that does not offer a 'city water' hookup, it's prudent to travel with a bit of water in the fresh water tank for emergencies such as a bathroom break while on the road
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #6
LHaven

Cable: KeyTV isn't your actual TV, it's a distribution system in your trailer. On a 2019, it's a coin flip as to whether you have it. Look at the wall behind your TV -- if there is a 12V outlet plate with a tiny button on the side that lights an LED when you push it, you don't have Key TV. In this case, push the LED on if you are using your over-the-air TV antenna, and off if you are using park cable (this is important). You also have to change the settings on your TV to tell it which you are using. Then scan for channels, and you should get the best reception possible for your situation. Note: I have been in campgrounds where the camp cable is so boring that the local over-the-air selection was better.

Tanks: Your black tank will last a lot longer than the grays, which get sink and shower water. Even with showers, your gray should keep more than three days. There should be a gauge in the rig, but water gauges get dirty and are the first thing to become unreliable. (If you can trust them, great -- ours work fine, but many people's don't.)

Leave the dump valves shut until the tanks need dumping, then open them during the dumping process only. The grays will dump in maybe 60 seconds each, just open and close the valves. The black requires some additional flushing, a new deodorizer pod, hopefully a gray flush behind it to wash the crud out of the hose, etc., a little more labor intensive. Do not skimp on toilet flush water to extend your tank dump period, the water is needed to keep the contents from solidifying. The fresh tank is for camping in places where you have no water source (or for on-the-road restroom use), you won't need it in a commercial campground.

30A: The AC is the big consumer, followed by the microwave. Then any hi-amp stuff you may have brought: electric space heater, hairdryer, whatever. The rule is if you never use any two of these at once, you'll usually avoid popping any breakers. At least resetting breakers is easy. At worst, at a cost, you can always tether to your own phone service or get a dedicated cellular hotspot.

WiFi: If you're worried about using the camp's unsecured WiFi, the easiest thing to do is to get VPN software for your device(s) and make sure your firewall is on. You can install a hardware solution, but it's nowhere near that easy. At worst, at some cost, you can always get a dedicated WiFi hotspot, or even tether (personal hotspot) to your own phone devices.

Slide: Leave the slide out for the duration, don't add wear to the mechanism. Personally, I don't use my awning much, and I never leave it open for fear of windstorm when we're out or asleep. I put it out when we're outside and want it, then I take it in at night.

Chargers: Most devices don't mind being left on chargers when at capacity. The chargers draw negligible current when connected to something at capacity. Just leave them.

Schematic: No such thing. In the industry today, the rigs are all hand-built and no two rigs are built alike.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:58 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you, sir.

This is a 2019 Outback 260UML.

Have not looked in the back of TV yet. But, I will after this post. Its not a Key TV, i dont think. Just says Furrion. Has a radio and DVD player, not sure how that operates yet since I have not tried it.

I have a Camco 55301 Amp Power Defender on the post now. I take it that is not exactly a EMS, but will it do for now?

Appreciate the Manual suggestions, that will get done.

Yes, then, Laptop will be the only one on full time.

You are right about having 2-30gal tanks. Signed on panel as Gray 1 and Gray 2. Gray 2 is sitting on 1/3rd full. I am thinking Grey 1 is Bathroom Sink/Shower and we have not used Shower yet, just the bath houses.

Panel says Black is 1/3rd full. Flush out at 2/3rds?

Have the Water regulator. Pressure hooked up good and no problems.

Thanks for your input, sir. Let you know. Now, to Summit Pond.

AC

This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth; Camco makes lots of stuff for RVs and RVing. IMO I don't think you could consider anything they make "top of the line". In many cases that's OK, I use some of their products, but on something like the EMS that protects you, your family and trailer I personally would not use one - even if that unit is priced very high for what you get.

It is "supposed" to be a unit similar to a Progressive Industries or Southwire Surge Guard (the 2 most popular units I know of) but just doesn't do any of it well from what I can tell. The lights don't tell you much, you can't read the legend on the back, can't see the lights in the day. I read 2 reviews that said water penetrated the housing and got inside damaging the unit (Camco says it is water resistant, not waterproof). Below is a link to some reviews that might shed some light for you. I've not seen reviews posted in a manner like that on you tube but I assume they are accurate;

sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #8
BeagleMan

This is what I have behind my TV. Hope this works.

In case the pic does not show, all it is is the cable from the outside into the RF1 port and a plug with 2 cable ports with nothing on them.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is just my opinion so take it for what it's worth; Camco makes lots of stuff for RVs and RVing. IMO I don't think you could consider anything they make "top of the line". In many cases that's OK, I use some of their products, but on something like the EMS that protects you, your family and trailer I personally would not use one - even if that unit is priced very high for what you get.

It is "supposed" to be a unit similar to a Progressive Industries or Southwire Surge Guard (the 2 most popular units I know of) but just doesn't do any of it well from what I can tell. The lights don't tell you much, you can't read the legend on the back, can't see the lights in the day. I read 2 reviews that said water penetrated the housing and got inside damaging the unit (Camco says it is water resistant, not waterproof). Below is a link to some reviews that might shed some light for you. I've not seen reviews posted in a manner like that on you tube but I assume they are accurate;

I get that. And I appreciate your input. I figured we are just starting out and in a few years we will be full time, but we wanted everything we could get at a nominal price point to get started and figured Camco is a good start. Trust me, when the Montana 3700LK arrives, we will be doing major upgrades and get the best we can get.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
This is what I have behind my TV. Hope this works.

In case the pic does not show, all it is is the cable from the outside into the RF1 port and a plug with 2 cable ports with nothing on them.
Your URL was malformed but I managed to massage it into working.

I don't see the traditional amp power button or LED, so you may have the KeyTV. You should be able to find a box somewhere near the aft end of your rig that looks like this:

Edit: Sometimes the amp button and LED are located on a TV plate other than the "main room" plate. There will be only one in the rig. Look in the bedroom and elsewhere for a TV connector that resembles this. If you want to watch antenna TV, this must be on, even if there is no TV on that plate.

I don't own a KeyTV, so I'm a bit bumfuzzled by the two naked coax ports at the bottom of your picture. In a non-KeyTV unit, these are for interposing a satellite box, and would otherwise be cross-connected with a short loop of coax, or you would get no signal at all.
Old 09-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #11
BeagleMan

Ok. I have been around the rig and we have 2 coax ports. Fore and aft. Coaxial cable is connected to the aft to the post for camp cable. Now, I had installed them but just noticed that the connection was not tight, so I tighten it up after finding my tools.

I do have that type box in Bedroom. Just make sure it is ON, correct? For cable? Or just antennae TV?
Old 09-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #12
LHaven

Always on for antenna, always off for cable. No other settings work.

If you haven't found a KeyTV box on your rig, you may want to see about getting a short piece of coax to loop those naked terminals.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Always on for antenna, always off for cable. No other settings work.

If you haven't found a KeyTV box on your rig, you may want to see about getting a short piece of coax to loop those naked terminals.

What you mean by "loop the naked terminals"? Short cable from that to TV?
Old 09-06-2020, 07:35 PM   #14
LHaven

Short cable connecting the two naked terminals together.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5118.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	29655  
Old 09-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #15
BeagleMan

Ok. Can do that tomorrow. Problem now is it wants me to run Channel Auto Scan. Darn blob all over the TV screen. Cannot get it stop or run.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
LHaven

If you hit the menu button, that should stop the ethnic fire drill. But if you need that coax loop, you aren't going to find much on a scan until you install it.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:22 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

BeagleMan, You will get enough advice to sink a battleship so I would just like to add:
ONLY USE RV TOILET PAPER. If you use a wifi router, get VPN set up on the router or at least on each of your connected devices. Open wifi allows others to see what you are doing pretty easily and a VPN makes this more difficult. Last bit; if you have to crawl under your rig to pull handles (there are sometimes one for the black tank, one for the gray tank and another for a gray galley tank) buy a Valterra twist on dump valve that connects onto your main sewer outlet and you can use it to dump your tanks by leaving those valves open. I use one because my galley tank dump valve is up under my slide and behind the rear wheel on the driver's side of my camper and crawling under the camper is truly and unpleasant experience in the rain or if the fire ants are hunting me (they like to live near water bibs). Example:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valterra-...Valve/55356052
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #18
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
If you hit the menu button, that should stop the ethnic fire drill. But if you need that coax loop, you aren't going to find much on a scan until you install it.
Well, turning on the Menu button did not help, but I am assuming after I get the open ports closed off, it might change. I'll let you know.

Wiredgeorge, thanks for your input. A lot of that I knew, just not the VPN. My release valve openings for both tanks are well within my reach without having to crawl underneath, but I thank you for the tip and link. Device on wall says Grey 2 and Black tank are 2/3rds full. Looks like I am dumping tomorrow. But, one question, I read somewhere where this lady suggested just leaving the Grey 2 tank valve open all the time because we are camped here for a while. Could we not do that and the Grey 2 tank would just continually drain to the septic tank my hose is connected to? Or, would I have to keep it closed?
Old 09-07-2020, 06:34 PM   #19
Huntme

I'm not sure if your TT Trailer has a hook up on the outside for Satelight TV,and Cable,mine has one in the back for Satelight,and one on the Door side for Cable WIFI,or Cable TV,you could have the same thing on yours.
Huntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Well, turning on the Menu button did not help, but I am assuming after I get the open ports closed off, it might change. I'll let you know.

Wiredgeorge, thanks for your input. A lot of that I knew, just not the VPN. My release valve openings for both tanks are well within my reach without having to crawl underneath, but I thank you for the tip and link. Device on wall says Grey 2 and Black tank are 2/3rds full. Looks like I am dumping tomorrow. But, one question, I read somewhere where this lady suggested just leaving the Grey 2 tank valve open all the time because we are camped here for a while. Could we not do that and the Grey 2 tank would just continually drain to the septic tank my hose is connected to? Or, would I have to keep it closed?

If you leave a gray tank open, there may not be sufficient gray water to help rinse the black tank discharge when you dump this tank. In addition, I left our galley tank open (since hard to get to) and our camper filled with sewer gnats that took quite a bit to get rid of. I wouldn't leave the gray tank open, ever.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote