Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2020, 06:26 AM   #1
Csmccharlie

Battery question

So picked up my 1st travel trailer this week and was curious if I should disconnect the battery. Did a little research and I don't believe my 2011 passport exp hybrid has a kill switch. Some people mentioned disconnecting the negative terminal off the battery in between trips.

Also is it ok to leave it plugged in the the house via a standard outdoor extension cord (non 30 or 50a) and will that also charge the battery. I do have the adapter to go from a standard chord to my campers plug.

Thanks in advance.
Csmccharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

You can do either one. Factory disconnects are installed on the Positive side so you could take either lead off, I prefer the positive. If you leave it plugged in at the house make sure to check the water level in the battery at least once a month and add DISTILLED water only.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:38 AM   #3
Csmccharlie

You have to check water level in the battery? Man Im green
Old 09-05-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
Csmccharlie

But you can charge the battery with a 120v house service? Just obviously cant run ac or microwave
Old 09-05-2020, 06:42 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

If your plugged into the house its probably a 15A plug. You can charge the battery, get the fridge cold on AC setting (auto) and maybe run the microwave, but NO air conditioner.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #6
MarkEHansen

A couple comments on plugging the trailer into 120v outlet at your house. First, if the adapter you have is the little black "hockey puck" you can get at the RV store for a few bucks, throw it out. You need a good quality "dog-bone" adapter. These are large and yellow - hard to miss.

While connected to a 15A outlet, you can't run the A/C or the water heater on electric. As mentioned, the fridge seems to run okay on electric in this case, but don't turn too much else on at the same time.

If you decide to disconnect the battery, you should always disconnect the negative cable first. This way, if you should bump the wrench into a metal part of the trailer frame/body, you won't weld something. If you're going to disconnect the battery from the trailer, you should probably take it home and keep it on a battery maintainer - and as was mentioned, check the water level at least once a month (top off with distilled water only).
Old 09-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #7
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your plugged into the house its probably a 15A plug. You can charge the battery, get the fridge cold on AC setting (auto) and maybe run the microwave, but NO air conditioner.
From looking at my EMS display, my microwave pulls ~16 amps so I wouldn't run it unless plugged into 30 amp. Just my $.03 Cdn

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery