Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2019, 03:46 AM   #1
mwemaxxowner

Awning retrofit

As some of you may know, I bought a used camper that has no awning. Not sure what the story is but it's all gone. Arms, roller tube, everything. We have purchased a 16x16 canopy that has two opposing sides that will fold down to create a wall if desired that works great for us for now, but my eventual goal is to have a proper awning.

Since we have something that works for now, I am able to leisurely browse for something used. My question is this, I've seen a few awnings here and there like the one pictured for sale, but this is not the kind my camper had originally. When awnings like this are in place, is there any sort of extra reinforcement built into the framing behind the siding? It looks to me like there is possibly a lot of force on that side wall with the awning extended vs a traditional old school type of awning.

I know that I would need to locate studs or cross braces (not sure if that's the proper terminology on a camper) to screw the brackets to, but is there more to it than that to support these?

Just curious if I see a good deal on one of these if I'd be able to capitalize on it, or whether I'd need to keep scrolling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JF_29QBH_Awning_2-1024x756.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	22872Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1563367713695.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	22873Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190714_110440576.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	22874Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190712_184102474_HDR.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	22875
mwemaxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 AM   #2
{tpc}

I would guess that every trailer is made about the same. So I don't think yours without an awning was made with any less reinforcement. I think the key is finding the studs so you can properly mount it.

The newer ones have a motor on them though, which would make it more expensive and you would probably have to drill into the unit some how to wire it in and mount a switch.

In that case I would probably look for the manual type awning just so you don't have to deal with that. On the plus side, the manual ones I have seen, you can disconnect the legs from the side of the trailer I think to add on a patio room, plus they are easier to clean the top of since you can lower it down more and it isn't "fixed" by whatever arms (legs) that are permanently attached to it and the trailer.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:08 AM   #3
mwemaxxowner

I could handle wiring up a motor, but it's something I'd avoid if I could. I like to keep it simple. I'm okay taking a few extra moments to hand crank things that are more reliable. [emoji38]
Old 07-18-2019, 04:27 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Manual awning would be my choice too. The top bracket would screw into the frame and the bottom ones would hit the lower framing, so no real need to find a stud.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:31 AM   #5
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Manual awning would be my choice too. The top bracket would screw into the frame and the bottom ones would hit the lower framing, so no real need to find a stud.
And that would be sufficient with the style of awning that I posted photos of?

The track that the fabric slides into is still there. It appears to still be occupied by part of the old awning [emoji849].
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 AM   #6
keyholeelf

Look closely along the top and bottom of the camper to find the original mounting holes. They typically pierce the hold down strip on the side right at the top of the camper. There will be 2 holes about 1-1/2 inches apart. Look for 2 sets with a matching pair at the bottom. I would guess they have a large mound of silicone covering them. Measure from the center of 1 set of holes to the other to get the length of your original awning.
I've replaced several awnings over the years. What i do is wait patiently and look around on craigslist until i find one the right size. Sometimes I take them off campers people are trying to sell. They are universal so as long as you replace a manual with a manual it should be pretty easy. Converting one may be tough depending on your skill level and how much aggravation you can put up with.
Good luck!
keyholeelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #7
mwemaxxowner

I've located the original bracket mounting holes. Thanks!

What I'm wondering though is the possibility of mounting an awning that's not necessarily the exact length or possibly the exact design of the original. I.e. like the ones in the photos. I've seen them pop up a time or two, and wondered if I saw the right deal if it was worth capitalizing on.

Are ALL of the awnings like that electric? I swear I've seen some be run out manually in the campground, but maybe not.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I believe the one you posted pics of is only electric. A&E (Dometic) has a selection of manual awnings, I don’t know that I would put a used awning on, not knowing the condition of the hardware, tension springs and fabric.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:09 AM   #9
mwemaxxowner

From the prices I've seen, if I don't run across something good used, I'll just keep using the canopy.

I'm thinking more along the lines of using the arms and roller tube, with a new fabric. The fabrics aren't that much. I'm also sort of hoping I can find a camper that I can pull the whole assembly off of. Maybe. That would let me test the springs.

We'll see what comes up. I'll either find something decent or keep using what we have.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
mwemaxxowner

Most of what I've seen on Etrailer, camping world, etc shows I'd spend a minimum of $1100 to add all new.

I just saw this, 5 or 600 would be a little easier to swing. That would put me not saving but a few hundred dollars over used parts with a new fabric.

Name:	Screenshot_20190718-112709.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	22877
Old 07-18-2019, 07:37 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

As chuckster stated, the awning photos you posted are "ELECTRIC" awnings. Manual awnings "triangulate" from the roof to the chassis rail. When deployed, manual awnings don't have a "vertical bar that's attached to the trailer wall". Here's a couple of photos of what "was installed" on your trailer.

You can install an electric awning, but you'll need to drill through the sidewall and install electric wiring to power the awning. That's for a "conventional electric awning". There are some "new and unique battery operated awnings" being offered for retrofit, but they, from what I've seen, are cost prohibitive. Typical 16' manual awnings can be found for around $800. Electric 16' around $1200 and the battery awnings, also 16' around $1800.

If you can find an old trailer with a manual awning, be sure to check that all the locking levers are attached and that the arms and especially the roller tube aren't bent or buckled. Just having to buy a lower arm bracket for an "old awning" can cost three times what you paid for the entire used awning. So, buying used is "thrifty" only if you get a COMPLETE working mechanism. As you said, the new fabric is only around $125. Replacement parts, however, are a premium !!!!!

Solara (Lippert) does offer a "retrofitted electric awning" that has the motor replaced with a hand crank assembly. They call it a "manual awning" but it attaches just like their electric awning. I don't think you'll find one in the used market. They cost as much as an electric awning when new, so few people opt for that kind of "manual awning" when an "electric awning" costs the same.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	manual awning 3.png
Views:	452
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	22878   Click image for larger version

Name:	manual awning.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	22879  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 07:53 AM   #12
mwemaxxowner

Awesome.

I just wasn't aware that those accordion style folding awnings (as I'll call it for now) are ALL electric with no manual function. I thought there was, that's all I needed to know.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
Awesome.

I just wasn't aware that those accordion style folding awnings (as I'll call it for now) are ALL electric with no manual function. I thought there was, that's all I needed to know.
As I said in a previous post, Lippert (Solara) does make a "manual" awning by removing the electric motor from their Solara line and replacing it with a "hand driven gear drive"... It costs nearly the same as their electric, and mounts the same "accordion style"... It's really a "cheap version of their electric awning" that's missing the motor. Total savings, if I remember the pricing: $125 less, so it'll cost you $1075 rather than $1200. Their "battery driven system" starts around $1400.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As I said in a previous post, Lippert (Solara) does make a "manual" awning by removing the electric motor from their Solara line and replacing it with a "hand driven gear drive"... It costs nearly the same as their electric, and mounts the same "accordion style"... It's really a "cheap version of their electric awning" that's missing the motor. Total savings, if I remember the pricing: $125 less, so it'll cost you $1075 rather than $1200. Their "battery driven system" starts around $1400.
Yeah, but that doesn't sound like a good solution at all, given your point that it's highly unlikely to find used or salvaged, so I'm not betting on that to pan out. I'll keep my eye out for traditional manual awnings. Those are the ones I know how to use and work on anyway.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
mwemaxxowner

These are examples of some of the things I've seen. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190718-112108.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	22883Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190718-112353.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	22884
Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 AM   #16
{tpc}

This is the stuff for sale on like craigslist? I wonder, there has to be a rv "junkyard" just like there are car ones? Maybe you could find a inexpensive awning there?

I guess the good thing is if you buy one new, and you take care of it, being sure to tie it down good or bring it in during really bad weather, it should last a very long time. IE, its not something that is a constant maintenance item. But when you get a good deal on a trailer, and then the awning cost is like a percentage of that price, its hard to shell out the money.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:41 AM   #17
mwemaxxowner

The one on top that has the roller tube all disassembled is sort of an RV salvage outfit. $100 for the tube and the arms, then $200 ish for new fabric. I guess the roller tube being disassembled would be a good thing if I knew what I should be looking for. Lol. I could check out the springs. I browse the FB marketplace mostly.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
These are examples of some of the things I've seen. Attachment 22883Attachment 22884
Neither of these appear to have all parts necessary to mount on any RV. Both pics together don't look like enough parts to make one complete awning.
Check Bontragers RV Surplus in Sturgis Mich, they have ALL kinds of surplus RV materials, from boxes of colored screws, cabinet doors of all shapes/sizes/colors, furniture & appliances, even frames, axles, ties/wheels. Whatever the factories discontinue, change color or style, they'll have.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #19
mwemaxxowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Neither of these appear to have all parts necessary to mount on any RV. Both pics together don't look like enough parts to make one complete awning.

Check Bontragers RV Surplus in Sturgis Mich, they have ALL kinds of surplus RV materials, from boxes of colored screws, cabinet doors of all shapes/sizes/colors, furniture & appliances, even frames, axles, ties/wheels. Whatever the factories discontinue, change color or style, they'll have.
The one that I referred to that has the roller tube disassembled looks to me to only have the parts to make one arm for one side, is that correct?

I need wider outside arm, thinner inside arm, roller tube, mounting brackets. Anything else I'm overlooking? There are still bottom brackets on the camper, but for all I know they won't work with all arms. The track for the fabric to slide into is still there. I have an email in to Bontragers. I would imagine shipping will be cost prohibitive, but there's only one way to find out!
Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the awning "offer", the one with the roller tube disassembled, just buying that "package" and then buying the new fabric, travel locks and the extending tape pull, you'll probably have nearly as much invested as buying a new, "cheap/on sale" dometic, A&E or Carefree awning. Pricing ranges from around $500 up to over $1000, depending on where you shop, freight and sales pricing.

If I were you (it's not my money so I don't get a vote), I'd only consider a "used/salvage" awning if it's currently on the side of an RV and you can physically inspect it for fit, finish, function and damage. Buying something that's been sitting behind someone's barn, dug out of the weeds and offered on Craig's List (rather than pay to haul it to the dump) isn't what you want on the side of your trailer, especially if you're going to travel with it. Trust me when I say that when towing at 70MPH, and the awning travel lock "lets go" and the awning unfurls, swings over the roof and pokes a hole in the sidewall of your trailer, it'll ruin any plans for a "troublefree vacation".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
awning