Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
DanHebert

Receiver hitch with 1000lb tongue weight????

Has anyone successfully installed a receiver hitch on a travel trailer with a 1000lb tongue weight? Most of the ones I’m seeing are 500lb or less.
DanHebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Javi

That's without the weight distribution system...
Old 06-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHebert View Post
Has anyone successfully installed a receiver hitch on a travel trailer with a 1000lb tongue weight? Most of the ones I’m seeing are 500lb or less.

Are you talking about a receiver on the truck or ON the travel trailer? You don't want a "1000 lb." hitch sitting on the back of your trailer. If you're referencing the truck, you need to look and see if there aren't different weights for use with a wdh or not as Javi pointed out.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're talking about a "rear receiver hitch" to install on the travel trailer, I don't know of any RV frame that's designed to support that kind of load. So, it's more a matter of "bending the RV frame rails with that much weight than it is "can I tow a 1000 pound tongue load" on the back of my trailer.

Your Cougar 29BHS frame rails probably can't support anywhere close to a 1,000 pound tongue load. If you elect to use a weight distribution hitch, remember that you're going to be adding weight to the Cougar axles, so those "barely adequate tires" are likely going to be even less adequate" with the "WD hitch" placing more weight on them. With a 1000 pound "second trailer tongue weight" you'll also need brakes on the second trailer, so you'll also be placing additional "electric loads" on your tow vehicle brake controller.

If I were you, I'd find a competent engineer to review what you're wanting to do and design a system that won't "self destruct" when towing at highway speeds and you hit an unexpected bump on a public highway.

My guess is that you'll be "way, way over the design limits of your Cougar 29BHS.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch