Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #1
May

Sealand toilet-replace or fix ?

Hi everyone-I'm pretty new to this forum... I just bought a new (new to me) used trailer... 2007 Keystone Springdale 299bhds.

My sealand toilet is leaking...I found out where its leaking from (it's where the black plastic rubber stop thing is).

http://trvparts.com/catalog/images/P...85314349_3.jpg

Here's my question...
1. I hate the toilet-it's small (I need to take apart the under sink/cupboard in the bathroom and get rid of 3/4 of it as it takes up too much space...
2. Do you have to replace your RV toilet with the same make/model as what's in it currently ?
3. Is there such a thing as an "upgrade" on a toilet on an old 2007 RV ?

**I've been checking online and the replacement part is approx $50... but it looks like I can buy a whole new toilet for $200 ? I'm just questioning fixing such a 12 year old toilet versus replacing it

Cheers !
Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sealand.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	22414  
May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd guess your toilet is a Sealand (same as Dometic 300) toilet. They are, for the most part interchangeable. The Dometic 300 has a plastic bowl. You can upgrade to a Dometic 310 which costs about $150 (often on sale for $119) which has a porcelain bowl. It "should" fit the same footprint as your current toilet. You can also upgrade to a Dometic 320 toilet (about $250) which has a porcelain elongated bowl with a conventional "top rim". That toilet has a different footprint and needs added space to install, not to mention that you also "sit on it differently" so there's the issue of extra knee space as well.

You might look at the Dometic 310, I think you'll find it a significant improvement over what you currently have.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
May

You're a wealth of information !!!
Thank you ! This helps immensely !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtjh View Post
i'd guess your toilet is a sealand (same as dometic 300) toilet. They are, for the most part interchangeable. The dometic 300 has a plastic bowl. You can upgrade to a dometic 310 which costs about $150 (often on sale for $119) which has a porcelain bowl. It "should" fit the same footprint as your current toilet. You can also upgrade to a dometic 320 toilet (about $250) which has a porcelain elongated bowl with a conventional "top rim". That toilet has a different footprint and needs added space to install, not to mention that you also "sit on it differently" so there's the issue of extra knee space as well.

You might look at the dometic 310, i think you'll find it a significant improvement over what you currently have.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Personally I would recommend upgrading to the Dometic 310. About 2 springs ago I discarded my 2014 Thetford for the Dometic 310 and couldn't be happier. I also think you will appreciate the upgrade to porcelain vs plastic. The exchange is very straightforward and easy. The only issue might be is if your incoming water supply has to be replumbed in some way. Be sure to replace the gasket under the toilet and check all the mounting bolts on the flange to make sure they are still secure after 12 years.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #5
May

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Personally I would recommend upgrading to the Dometic 310. About 2 springs ago I discarded my 2014 Thetford for the Dometic 310 and couldn't be happier. I also think you will appreciate the upgrade to porcelain vs plastic. The exchange is very straightforward and easy. The only issue might be is if your incoming water supply has to be replumbed in some way. Be sure to replace the gasket under the toilet and check all the mounting bolts on the flange to make sure they are still secure after 12 years.
Thanks ! I guess I won't know until i take the old one off, what needs to be repaired (after 12 years). From what I'm seeing, when you buy the 310, you need to buy the mounting adapter kit as well (not included). I might just buy the mounting bolts at the same time just in case...
Old 06-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

When I replaced the Thetford an "adapter kit" was also recommended but found that the items included with the toilet took care of the issue. The main thing was the rubber gasket that fits the bottom of the toilet - the different toilets had differently shaped gaskets so you might verify what comes with the particular toilet you're looking at. The inlet to the sewer pipe should be the same no matter, the bottom of the toilet and how it mates to the sewer pipe will be the issue. The flange may require a bit of reorientation but I'm thinking (hope) you don't have to replace a lot of extra "stuff" to get the toilet replaced.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet