Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2019, 05:50 AM   #1
majbill

Outside lighting (adding)

I am considering adding some outside lighting. Obviously would like to keep it simple and low profile. Have thought of solar which in my opinion would be the easiest. Problem with solar does not always charge well on cloudy days. What are you using?
Thanks
Bill
majbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:23 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I shy away from solar lighting as a general rule. The actual units don't last as long as most RV's, so if you screw/bolt/glue the lights to the trailer, in a couple of years, when the solar panel is glazed over and won't keep up with the new batteries, good luck finding a similar light with the same footprint so it will cover the holes in the trailer. Not to mention that with a replacement, the left won't match the right any more.....

I've found that with some "thoughtful reasoning" it's usually pretty easy to figure out where to run a wire from something inside to the area where you want a light. Quality LED lighting is not nearly as expensive as it was a few years ago and typically, "good LED's" will last much longer than the trailer.

For me, I'm OK with solar to generate power and recharge batteries, but for lighting, especially for "permanently installed lighting" the solar arrays just don't seem to last as long as they should, making them a "temporary light source" rather than a "permanent addition to the trailer".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #3
5J's

Check this video out. I follow this guy on YouTube I find some of the videos helpful.

https://youtu.be/bct9kXFG2eg

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
KeithInUpstateNY

I installed lights similar to this: three years ago: Aootek New Upgraded Solar Lights with Wide Angle Illumination,Outdoor Motion Sensor Waterproof Wall Light Wireless Security Night Light with 3 Modes for Driveway Garden Step Stair Fence Deck 2pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BFM2W5..._Ot6cDb2A16V7P

I used double the number of Command outdoor strips recommended and while I haven't traveled across country, it stayed put, until I traded trailers last year. Then I pulled the tabs and mounted it the same way in the new trailer.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light