Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #21
kksfish

I am also considering installing a frame mounted receiver on my fiver but wondered if anyone had noticed any difference in the way the rig handles due to this weight hanging off the rear? I have receiver mounted cargo thing that I have used to carry a generator and I can definitely notice when I have it on my truck!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #22
CWtheMan

Keystone does have a bike rack option. I don't know if they would have one to fit your trailer or not. You could ask them. Here is a picture I took at a RV show last year.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29906
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #23
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Keystone does have a bike rack option. I don't know if they would have one to fit your trailer or not. You could ask them. Here is a picture I took at a RV show last year.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29906
CW I believe this one is not available anymore. They offer the fold up one now on most models.
That particular slide out model was not one of Keystone's better ideas. Very flimsy attaching brackets. Mine bent rather badly with only lawn chairs and the spare tire on it. I determined the culprit was the spare tire hanging "way out there" and oscillating as we went down the road.JMO

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:12 PM   #24
DocP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
CW I believe this one is not available anymore. They offer the fold up one now on most models.
That particular slide out model was not one of Keystone's better ideas. Very flimsy attaching brackets. Mine bent rather badly with only lawn chairs and the spare tire on it. I determined the culprit was the spare tire hanging "way out there" and oscillating as we went down the road.JMO
You're right, at least on the Cougar line. My 2018 Cougar 32RLI had the "new" fold-down rack on back (the spare tire was mounted underneath on a BAL "Hide A Spare"), and then my new 2019 Cougar 34TSB has a 2" hitch with a 300 pound capacity that is welded directly to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougar 32rli.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	20110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cougasr 34TSB.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	20111  
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #25
Miloski

Bike Hitch

If you have a bike rack that you use on your hitch receiver then consider installing a front receiver hitch to carry them. I go down the road with two bikes on front, two kayaks on the roof pulling 5th wheel, oops! I mean a 5'ver
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:42 AM   #26
AlanSides

Would something like this work for a 175BH without a rear bumper?

It has angle iron pieces to attach it.

What would it do if I put the angles on the outside over the ends of the frame and just bolted it on like a bumper?

This TT is covered underneath so there is no easy access to the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stromberg hitch.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	34481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Hitch.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	34482  
AlanSides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #27
Lisa Colton

Yikes on the bike rack

I have looked at a bunch of options- including the installation on that poor bumper tube. I am no welder, but I had serious structural concerns with the rotational load that would be put on my bumper. Also tried to identify "spot welding". If this means the joint between the bumper and the trailer frame, ummmm
So for now, bike will be in the camper or tow vehicle. Long term, would seem like the bikes will need the stability of the main frame. No thank you to the horror stories of arriving without bikes and bumper and wondering if I killed someone- never mind my loss of property!!
Any advise is welcome-
Lisa Colton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:26 PM   #28
jasin1

This was on another post about rear receivers….John has some links to rv receivers https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13703
Old 07-08-2021, 04:37 AM   #29
AlanSides

The Stromberg universal hitch pictured above in my previous post was only $170 on Amazon and it is very heavy duty. Time will tell, but it mounted up well with 7/8" grade 8 bolts. Overkill really. The bike rack itself, if anything, is the weak point now but I figure it was designed for 2 bikes so "should" hold up.
AlanSides is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, hitch