Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
srbays

Bottom Floor Panel Replacement

Greetings!

2006 Mountaineer 29BH with enclosed floor. I won't go into all the gory details, but suffice to say I've had the bottom polypropylene panel off the unit several times. The panel doesn't fit perfectly and it is cut crudely around the spring shackles and drains, which leaves holes inviting unwanted visitors into the floor (a few of the "gory details").

I want to replace the poly with 4' X 12' sheets of clear corrugated roofing so I can see up into the floor and inspect for leaks, rust, etc. (more gory details).

Anyone ever replace the bottom floor panel? Any thoughts?

Best regards and happy trails,

Sam
srbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Not sure, but you might be able to purchase 4x8 sheets of clear Coroplast - the same material that serves as the underbelly. Check with Home Depot or other similar building supply outlets. Wouldn't the corrugated material you plan on using still leave gaps along the edges because of the uneven corrugated pattern? I am wondering if the clear material would eventually become dirty and darken with road grime, etc., making it less useful for your intended purpose.
If replacing it, the trick is to utilize the existing holes that have already been drilled in the metal supports/frame. You might try using the existing location of the holes in the old material over the new --- like a pattern.
Another option would be to buy some cans of expanding foam and fill up the voids in the existing underbelly. That is the route I decided to take.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
srbays

Hi Festus,

Thanks for the input. I have cornered the SW Florida market on expanding foam for the past two years as a stop-gap measure but that has some limitations: it tends to fall out in transit, and when I've gone back later the stuff (like Great Stuff) tends to promote corrosion and interferes with wire routing, etc.

You are correct about the ribs creating more voids--but there is a pre-formed edge foam that should take care of that. I intend to use run the material longitudinally to take advantage of the stiffness provided by the ribs so the gaps will only occur at the front and back edges.

Road grime will certainly reduce the "window effect" over time but my other option, to use expanded metal or 1/4" screening, will let in too much water when traveling during a rain storm and the underside isn't set up to handle that water.

As you can tell, I'm not comfortable with my solution so I'm seeking input from other veterans...like yourself.

Thanks and regards,

Sam
srbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Sam:
Not trying to talk you out of using corrugated roofing, but I see a couple of disadvantages: (1) it isn't that easy to make cuts that would be close-fitting around drain pipes, shackles, drain pulls, etc. The corrugated pattern would still leave voids adjacent to these objects. (2) unless you use a thicker gauge of roofing, the plastic roofing tends to become brittle over time.
Coroplast or some other similar material would lend itself to easier and closer-fitting cuts. If one of your concerns is to be able to inspect the plumbing, wiring, etc., what about cutting out a couple of "inspection" sections so you can get a peek inside? One in the front area and a second in the rear. You could cover the inspection hole with a larger piece of Coroplast which would be screwed or otherwise fastened to the main covering. I do not, BTW, have shares in Coroplast!
I am not sure whether a tight, sealed and close-fitting underbelly would prevent rust from forming -- it might reduce it somewhat but I don't think that having some rust on some of the metal is a cause for concern.
The unwanted visitors you referred to can and will find all sorts of tiny voids to gain entry to the inside. Any small opening - not only in the underbelly - found in any outside compartment provides easy access for mice. It's a tough job to find and seal every little hole. Just when you think you have.............
Good luck with this project. I am sure someone on here will provide a solution that will work for you!